• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tektronix 4052/54 diagnostic ROM pack remade.

jdreesen

Experienced Member
As mentioned previously in the other 405x threads I recreated an updated version of the Tektronix diagnostic ROMPACK. PCB's are back, I populated a few, and, even better, they are functional !

20180404_204612.jpg

20180404_204619.jpg

20180404205756_20180404_084934.jpg

20180404_084244.jpg

Still need to write documentation and design a fitting 3D package.
I have 20 PCB's, which is probably enough for the next 25 years....

Jos

As mentioned previously in the other 405x threads I recreated an updated version of the Tektronix diagnostic ROMPACK. PCB's are back, I populated a few, and, even better, they are functional !

View attachment 44828

View attachment 44829

View attachment 44830

View attachment 44831

Still need to write documentation and design a fitting 3D package.
I have 20 PCB's, which is probably enough for the next 25 years....

Jos

Great news!!

I have a 4052 and 4054 that both need repair.

How much for a diagnostic PCB? and shipping to Texas. Would you consider selling one of your populated boards?

Monty

Jos,

I can try to design a case for your diagnostic PCB. Are the mounting holes in your first picture, the same spacing as a standard Tektronix ROM cartridge? 85mm x 50mm?

Monty

Last edited:
Hi Monty,

Thanks for the offer, but I already finished that part of the design. Just some finetuning & documentaion required, then i will get back to you all w.r.t. to possible options & costs.

Jos

Hi Jos,

this is indeed good news! Fantastic job! Count me in for a PCB! I finally put my 4052 together again last night, so next time something acts up, I can just plug this baby in for starters before taking everything apart again.

--Roland

Tek 4052/54 Diagnostic rom packs are available !

Tek 4052/54 Diagnostic rom packs are available !

I am ready to deliver the diagnostic rom packs : point your browser to

ftp://ftp.dreesen.ch/TEK_DRP

read my doku file DiagPack_Manual.pdf , decide if this is what you want, and order ( or not...)
Also read the original TEK doku TEK4052_4054_Diagnostic_Rom_Pack.pdf in order to understand what this unit can and cannot do.

Prices, in short : PCB only 20Euro/25 USD, finished and tested 60/75, add 20/25 for a fitting 3D printed casing.

And do feel free to construct your own with the data from my FTP site.

Jos

read my doku file DiagPack_Manual.pdf , decide if this is what you want, and order ( or not...)
Also read the original TEK doku TEK4052_4054_Diagnostic_Rom_Pack.pdf in order to understand what this unit can and cannot do.

Prices, in short : PCB only 20Euro/25 USD, finished and tested 60/75, add 20/25 for a fitting 3D printed casing.

And do feel free to construct your own with the data from my FTP site.

Jos

Jos,

I'm having problems downloading any of the files on your ftp site. I can list the directory but get permissions errors on file download.

Monty

Jos,

I got the ftp site to download by using an Internet Download Manager.

I would like to purchase one tested PCB. I'll print my own case - thanks for the STL files!

I'm in the US - how do I send my payment?

Thanks a lot!

Monty

PS - in debugging my 4052 I've found a couple of power supply problems like yours and replaced the -20V op-amp and ordered a replacement Bridge Rectifier.
My 5V supply was working, I could type PRINT "ctrlG" and get a beep from the speaker. My screen wasn't working - a dim glow that didn't fill the screen, and when I pressed PAGE, it showed a sharper 'weird' shaped and then back to the dim glow. I figure this was due to the bad -20V.

Jos,

Cool lettering on the inside of the base of the Diagnostic ROM case.

I can barely see it though the case in your photo - cool! Did you print in PLA or ABS?

Monty

I used white, semi-translucent PLA. Works quote well, better than you can see in the picture.
Would be a nice experiment in a dual-extruder machine, alas I do not have one.
i added the openSCAD source file for the cases to the FTP site, in case you'd like to fool around with it.

Generally Firefox should enable you to download files from my FTP server without problems. Never tried to use IE .

Jos

Jos

Last edited:
Jos,

I decided to try to make a 3D printed overlay label with raised letters according to your photo in the PDF.
It should be easy to print and then color the text and glue to the base, instead of trying to get labels to stick to the base.

I imported your base STL in Openscad - and found a post that tells how to add embossed letters.

Here is a link my ASCII STL file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AOJ4HCnn4Ydx_Yj1vRcyA1m9AawG-p7n/view?usp=sharing

and here is a screenshot of the overlay in Simplify3D:

TekBaseOverlay.jpg

Thanks for all your hard work to replicate this diagnostic board!

Monty

PS - I updated the link to a newer STL with slightly larger fonts
I just printed it in ABS on my Ultimaker2+ at 0.1mm layers

Last edited:

Thanks Jos!

Just sent you an email. I should have no problem getting the parts apart from the programmed GAL; my old Data I/O predates those by a wide margin.

--Roland

4052 ROM Cartridge CRC Tests

4052 ROM Cartridge CRC Tests

After fixing the 7405 inverter issue - I decided to use the Diagnostic ROM Pack to check the CRC for three 4052 cartridges I purchased from Stan back in 2000.

One cart was labeled Character & Symbols, and two said FFT2 on the label on the end - however one of those had an NII label where I had handwritten a note that it was a 4907 File Manager cartridge for 4052/4054!

I turned off power - plugged a cart in slot 2 with the Diag Cart in slot 1 - configured to run the ROM CRC test
I then turned on power and the ROM CRC test would immediately run. If the unit was off very long, the text would not be clear and I would quickly cycle the power.

The additional ROM Cartridge CRC would be listed after the Diag ROM CRC - as shown in these screenshots:

Character & Symbol:

IMG_6748.jpg

FFT2

IMG_6750.jpg

4907??

IMG_6752.jpg

Sure enough the Character & Symbol checked OK and the FFT2 was OK, but the suspicious cart CRC was not the same as the published 4907 CRC.

I opened that cartridge and the board said "16K ROM Pack"

Here are photos of both sides of the board and my handwritten note on back of the cartridge:

IMG_6754.jpg

IMG_6755.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

I then downloaded the bitsavers 4907 User Manual - and tried a couple of the CALL statements in the test program on page 4-1: CALL "TIME",R$ and CALL " UNIT",1 and CALL "DRES",1

without any cartridges plugged in - those were all invalid CALLs

with the suspicous cart - the last two calls just returned with no errors. The CALL "TIME" returned with a GPIB error.

So that cart might have valid 4907 code - maybe early development code?

Monty

Hi Jos and all,

just wanted to confirm my DRP works as it should! That was an easy project for a change. ;)
No RAM or ALU errors. ROM CRCs differ for the missing chips (PLAs, patch ROMs) on the rev9 MAS, which I may not be an issue.

Many thanks again for putting this together in your spare time!

--Roland

After fixing the 7405 inverter issue - I decided to use the Diagnostic ROM Pack to check the CRC for three 4052 cartridges I purchased from Stan back in 2000.

One cart was labeled Character & Symbols, and two said FFT2 on the label on the end - however one of those had an NII label where I had handwritten a note that it was a 4907 File Manager cartridge for 4052/4054!

I turned off power - plugged a cart in slot 2 with the Diag Cart in slot 1 - configured to run the ROM CRC test
I then turned on power and the ROM CRC test would immediately run. If the unit was off very long, the text would not be clear and I would quickly cycle the power.

The additional ROM Cartridge CRC would be listed after the Diag ROM CRC - as shown in these screenshots:

Character & Symbol:

View attachment 45653

FFT2

View attachment 45654

4907??

View attachment 45655

Sure enough the Character & Symbol checked OK and the FFT2 was OK, but the suspicious cart CRC was not the same as the published 4907 CRC.

I opened that cartridge and the board said "16K ROM Pack"

Here are photos of both sides of the board and my handwritten note on back of the cartridge:

View attachment 45650

View attachment 45651

View attachment 45652

I then downloaded the bitsavers 4907 User Manual - and tried a couple of the CALL statements in the test program on page 4-1: CALL "TIME",R$ and CALL " UNIT",1 and CALL "DRES",1

without any cartridges plugged in - those were all invalid CALLs

with the suspicous cart - the last two calls just returned with no errors. The CALL "TIME" returned with a GPIB error.

So that cart might have valid 4907 code - maybe early development code?

Monty

The 4907 ROM PACK requires the 4907 File Manager to be attached to the GPIB for the functions to work, otherwise they will just return the errors that you were getting. Can you post a dump of the 4907 ROM pack? I'm looking for the 4051 version, but I would like a copy of the 4052 version. I'm trying to build a library of all of the 405x series ROM's.

Monty's Tektronix 4907 ROM Dump and Data I/O instructions plus CRCs

Monty's Tektronix 4907 ROM Dump and Data I/O instructions plus CRCs

The 4907 ROM PACK requires the 4907 File Manager to be attached to the GPIB for the functions to work, otherwise they will just return the errors that you were getting. Can you post a dump of the 4907 ROM pack? I'm looking for the 4051 version, but I would like a copy of the 4052 version. I'm trying to build a library of all of the 405x series ROM's.

oldcomputerexpert,

Ok - I found my 4907 cartridge ROM dumps - and document I made in April 2000 on how I did the dumps and some info I derived from the Hex files (ROM entry points and CRCs).

Monty's Tektronix 4907 ROM HEX dump files

Monty's document on using his DATA I/O to dump Tektronix ROMs

Monty

Back