• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tektronix 405x GPIB Flash Drive

I really wanted some nice demo pictures on my 4051 so I looked at the .BAS files in the pictures folder and quickly found out that the CRLF has to be replaced with CR. Then I got into trouble since all DATA lines were too long. 4051 is not coping with long lines. I made a small C program that splits up the lines and renumbers the program. I ran a few programs through this utility tool and ran them on my 4051. But it takes forever to download. I am not successful when setting 10 ms character delay. It seems like 100 ms is required!

I found one oddity in the .BAS files in the pictures folder in that the lines 3350 and 3360 appear twice. 4051 will overwrite the first occurrence with the second of course. But I don't really know which is right. However the 4051 produces a correct paint as it seems.

The stargate uni was able to run without any modifications so it appears that .UNI is fine.

MattisLind, I didn't realize you made a pull request on my github repository for the .UNI files you created until today when I was uploading some files.

Nice work on your conversion program.

It pushed me to create a script to convert more of my older uploads which are in two different formats:
1 - my 2000 serial program to transfer 4051 files from tape to the PC used ~<control character letter>~ for each control character
2 - newer uploads and the 405x emulator use the LIST format to serial port <control character letter><backspace><underscore> for each control character

I did some internet searches and decided to try linux sed. I was able to get all the control character edits above, delete NULL characters, and delete the LF from all the CRLFs except the very last one in the file with this one line command:

Code:
 for i in ./Originals/*; do sed -e 's/x0//g' -e ':a;N;$!ba;s/\n//g' -e 's/G^H_/^G/g' -e 's/H^H_/^H/g' -e 's/I^H_/      /g' -e 's/J^H_/\n/g' -e 's/K^H_/^K/g' -e 's/L^H_/^L/g' -e 's/_^H_/\x1f/g' -e 's/~G~/^G/g' -e 's/~H~/^H/g' -e 's/~I~/        /g' -e 's/~J~/\n/g' -e 's/~K~/^K/g' -e 's/~L~/^L/g' -e 's/~_~/\x1f/g' $i > uni/`basename "${i%.txt}.uni"` ; done

Using your technique in your shell script to fetch a file from the Originals folder and write the output file to the uni folder.

I also tried to make a script file - but couldn't get the scripts to work in the file.

Using Cygwin terminal, I would just use up arrow to get the command and press return to run it after I had the files to be converted copied into the Originals folder.
Then I checked each of the output files in the uni folder, removing .txt or .BAS from their file name, leaving only .uni as the extension.
I also used Notepad++ on each file to remove the last linefeed at the end of most but not all the files. I did try one experiment with leaving the last linefeed and trying to load the program into the 405x Emulator - but you get a Ctrl-J error, so they must be deleted.

The script is a bit hard to read with a lot of the control characters in Ctrl-V-Character linux regular expression format except for the Ctrl-J linefeed which is \n and the Ctrl-Underscore character which is \x1f.
The script didn't work with the \x hex format for the other control characters. The Ctrl-V-I horizontal tab looks like spaces in the script but it isn't.

Thank you for your help, I have converted and uploaded a couple of the folders on my repository - starting with the "Games in uni format" folder.

I do have to be careful before running the script - any program that is already in uni format will lose all the LFs in PRINT statements, so I have to take those out of the Original folder before running the script.

Last edited:
Time for an update on my Tektronix 4924 Tape Emulator!

I received my first PCB design, assembled the board and had no issues with my PCB design!

The GPIB connector is mounted on the bottom of the PCB with the Pandauino 644-Narrow board on top of the PCB and the Pololu microSD adapter with 3.3V level shifter mounted on the edge.

The jumper and resistor I added to the 644-Narrow board was used during initial testing to get the board to work with the EZ-GPIB application program, but won't be needed for the Tektronix Tape Emulator.

Tektronix 4924 Tape Emulator

I've been collaborating with my partner WaveyDipole on the eevblog.com forum and yesterday got my Tape Emulator to send a directory list to my 4052.

INPUT at 5-19.jpg

I had to use the Tek 4050 BASIC INPUT command, as I found that the 4924 does NOT have a TLIST command, likely because the 4050 BASIC Reference manual indicates that TLIST @5: does a redirect of the INTERNAL tape TLIST to GPIB device 5 :( That's why the MAG TAPE CARTRIDGE error message was displayed.

No worries - this is the first successful transfer of GPIB data from my Tape Emulator to my 4052!

Next step, enable the other functions I have written: FIND, OLD, CD and READ and test further!

Here is my logic analyzer screenshot showing the bursts of data for the INPUT @5,19:A$,B$,C$,D$,E$ to my TLIST command in the emulator.

Looks like about 35msec of time for my emulator to find the next file header on the microSD card and send to the 4052 :)

INP5_19.PNG

Big progress on my Tektronix 4924 Tape Emulator: I was able to OLD and run programs from the microSD card on the Emulator!

It turns out Tektronix does not support TLIST to an external tape, so the Emulator now uses that GPIB Secondary address 19 for a CD command to change directories on the microSD card. My plan is to put the files for different tapes that I have recovered in different directories. In the first photo, PRI @5,19: generates the CD command to the 4924 Tape Emulator, with the ASCII string containing the name of the directory on the microSD card. I have the Emulator hardcoded to GPIB primary address 5.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CD FIND and OLD work on 4054A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.2 KB ID:	1216181

After changing directory, you need to FIND a file number in that directory, so the next command in the photo does a FIND @5:1 to select file number 1, followed by OLD @5: to load that file into memory. Then I did a LIST command to show the first five lines in the program. You can see in the first photo, the ASCII programs loaded from three different directories on the microSD card in the 4924 Tape Emulator are all different and loaded without ANY ERROR.
1f642.png

The next photo shows running the program in /ROOT/1/ (first test program loaded in the first photo).

4054A running a program.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	4054A running a program.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.3 KB ID:	1216182

Now I plan to port my Tektronix 4052/4054 Adventure that used the 4907 Floppy for the 55 DATA files to the Tape Emulator, which should fairly straight-forward (change disk CALLs to GPIB tape commands). We need to get the INPUT command working to read the ASCII data files, and the PRINT command to save the game to an ASCII data file.

Last edited:
I wanted to cross post this question about my 4050 Tape Emulator and answer in this thread, as Commodore PET folks may be interested in the answer.

Did you ever connect Tek Tape Emulator to Commodore disk drive - since it uses IEEE-488 also?
  • I did find an article in Micro magazine number 57 dated Feb 1983 starting on page 13 that included a Commodore 4.0 PET/CBM or SuperPET assembly language program to add Tektronix 4051 style GPIB addressing to the Commodore print and input commands - Ex: PRINT @X,Y:a,b,c. However, the examples in the article appear to be oriented to PRINT and INPUT, READ and WRITE - I see no mention of loading programs. So you would either have to modify the 405x Tape Emulator code to directly support Commodore commands or modify the assembly code in the article.

Here is the archive.org link to that MICRO magazine issue:

https://archive.org/download/Micro_NO._57_1983-02_Micro_Ink_US/Micro_NO._57_1983-02_Micro_Ink_US_text.pdf

The article includes a PET assembly language program that emulates the Tektronix 4050 BASIC use of primary and secondary addresses.

It also describes the operation those commands over GPIB - it might help get my Tektronix 4050 Tape Emulator finished!

Tape Emulator work is progressing since I got my 4052 repaired.

Today I got the Tape Emulator to load and run my port of C64 Adventure to use the Tape Emulator for accessing all the files!

Here is a photo from this morning, when I was able to load Adventure without errors, and a second photo showing a collection of treasures!

Adventure on Tape Emulator.jpg

Seasoned Adventurer.jpg

I am seeing some minor random character shifting. I would think this could be an issue with the power to the X/Y circuit on the Display Board.

I did have to remove the entire display board to replace the transistor in the Collimation circuit - which fixed that problem.

No matter, I can now use the 4052 again for further development and debug of the Tape Emulator.

My 4054A - which has a TI 9914 GPIB controller and different BASIC firmware for GPIB, doesn't load Adventure. I'll be connecting the Logic Analyzer to it and see if I can spot that issue.

I've begun working on porting my Tektronix 4050 repository programs to the Tape Emulator:
https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files

I have posted 53 folders of recovered 4050 program tapes - a total of 390MB of files!

Even more amazing than the size of the repository - is each of the files is typically BASIC programs and less than 32KB in size! There are over 2000 files in my repository!

First folder I ported was the 4050 PLOT50 System Software Tape - with 104 files! I tried to use linux SED scripts to automate changing the file target for FIND and OLD commands to @5: which is the GPIB address I picked for the Tape Emulator, but I found it is a bit trickier than that and found 'bugs' in my port when I tested each of the programs.

I found an interesting program on that tape - a demo of 4054 exclusive features that I had never tried before. One of the cool features was a dashed line drawing command. Here is a photo of my 4054 running the demo of that command:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4054 Dashed Lines.JPG Views:	0 Size:	159.7 KB ID:	1225673

First I had to modify the program that detected whether the computer was a 4054 or 4054 with Option 31 Dynamic Graphics. My 4054 has the 'newer' A-Series upgrade boards and firmware and initially running this program indicated I did NOT have a 4054. The detection routine used the RND(0) command which has a unique value for each of the 4050 computers. My 4050 BASIC Reference booklet only showed the first two digits of the output for 4051, 4052, 4052A, 4054, and 4054A with and without Option 31, but the program compared the entire 11-digit result. I found the complete set of RND(0) outputs in the 4050 CYCLE Test factory tape I recovered and updated the program to include the 4054A and 4054A with Option 31.

The second directory of programs I wanted to port was the 4050R12 ROMPack Enhanced Graphics Adapter Demo Tape files that I copied from an original tape.

First problem I had to solve - the picture demo program used the R12 ROM command CALL "IMAGES" to read the picture image file from internal tape. This command does not support reading the image file from GPIB devices, so I figured out how to emulate this command with the INPUT command. The Graphics Reference manual and Bob's scan of the 4050R12 Enhanced Graphics manual had the clues needed. The INPUT command terminates a string input with CR - and the CR is discarded. The CALL "IMAGES" command supports CRs as graphics data as they are valid data items in the enhanced graphics format - which is three 7-bit ASCII characters for a 10-bit X/Y coordinate with a MOVE/DRAW bit - same as the 4051 Fast Graphics ROM data format - but the 4050R12 ROMPACK has different graphics commands.

I found my posted files for that demo tape were some of the first I recovered and the data files were not complete - since they were full of control characters. So I found my copy of Bob's 4050R12 demo tape and used my latest tapedump program to recover the files. I realized my tapedump program assumed ASCII program and data files with few control characters - that resulted in incomplete data files again
1f641.png
Some of the picture files came out correct - but several were not correct - including one of my favorites - Billiard - which is a simulation of ball movement on a billiard table. I added several lines of code to the picture player program to let me save the picture data in HEX format to my laptop PC using the Option 1 serial interface.

The picture player program is only 4KB, but it dimensions one of the string variables to 26499 bytes - which is the largest picture image size - Billiards. The program also uses the 'trick' that the CALL "IMAGE" command will stop reading a file at the dimensioned size of the variable! The Billiards file actually has another 48 bytes of data - which is read by the program in a second CALL "IMAGE" command. These 48 bytes provide the initial location of the 15 balls on the table - so if the data is are incorrect - the balls are dots outside of the table.

My port uses INPUT @5: commands (Tape Emulator is hard-coded to GPIB address 5) to input a string variable from the opened file. I had to dimension this string to 5000 bytes since one of the largest picture demo files has this many bytes between data bytes of "0D hex" Since Tek BASIC strips the CR from INPUT data - I added the CR back into the image string for each INPUT command.

This does mean this demo will not work on 4051 computers with the 4051R12 Enhanced Graphics ROMPACK, so I will need to make a stripped down version for the 4051, when someone with a 4051 and MAXIPACK ROMPACK (which includes the R12 ROMs) and my Tape Emulator wants to run this demo.

I have been trying to record a video of all 13 demo pictures with my iphone, but having trouble with the iphone focus - since the PAGE command blasts a bright image on the entire screen between pictures - this defocuses the iphone
1f641.png
I need to figure out how to take a clearer video and post it to youtube :)

Here is a screenshot of the Solar System simulation - which is the 13th demo file.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4054 Dashed Lines.JPG Views:	0 Size:	159.7 KB ID:	1225673

And here is the link to the defocused Solar System video:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0L13M_dRLrcLL8wD5BVMRxs3w

And here is the link to the entire demo of 13 animated or 3D pictures:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a9GiOefQeI-lyEpQmt-YVqRA

I apologize for the Nebula demo - my 4052 display still has an issue with X/Y DAC stability - so the lines are not straight - and that demo starts with filling the entire screen with X and Y lines and then draws the forming of the Nebula in refresh dots - which are barely visible.

I tried the demo on my 4054A - and found it now has a different display problem - refresh graphics doesn't display at all - including the blinking cursor :(

I will fix one of the two and do another video - but I still have lots of work porting more of my repository to the Tape Emulator first.

Last edited:
Ok - I have posted my archive.tape file of all the GAMES I have curated for the Tape Emulator from my Tek Program repo except for Adventure (which currently requires a 64KB 4052 or 4054 computer to run) to my repository:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...r/archive.tape

I also posted an archive.zip file - in case you have issues with downloading the plain text archive.tape file - since it is full of Tektronix control characters.

You also need to download John Wavey's branch of the 405x Emulator which supports multiple program files:

https://github.com/Twilight-Logic/Tek405xEmulator

See his post for more info: https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...17#post1219817

1 - Unzip the Tek405xEmulator and select the jsTektronix4051.html file to open the emulator in your web browser (Chrome is best)
2 - Click start
3 - Click storage
4 - Click Import then select my archive.tape file
5 - Click Cancel to close the Storage window
6 - Type FIND@5:1 to find the Games Menu file
7 - Type OLD@5: to load the Games Menu file
8 - Type RUN and enjoy the 4051 Games :)

If you haven't used the 405x Emulator before, the Tektronix keys are NOT the same as the PC or MAC keyboards.
You will find a row of Tektronix key buttons below the emulator screen - which you can use to type the @ and :, or you can use the ` key (next to 1 on the top row) to get @ and the ' key (next to ENTER) to get :

These games will also work with the new Tape Emulator on 4051, 4052 AND 4054 computers, plugged into the GPIB connector on the rear panel.

Here is a screenshot from the 405x Emulator running the archive.tape GAMES Menu.

You will notice the Adventure selection is crossed out - I added the code to the menu to detect the 4051 OR 4052/4054 computer type using the RND(0) value. The 405x Emulator is detected as a 4051, so the Adventure program is disabled as a selection since it requires a 4052 or 4054 with 64KB of RAM.

The Space Tag program 18 in this folder only runs on the 4051 - since it uses a CALL "EXEC" 6800 assembly language program. For my 4052 and 4054A computers - Space Tag is crossed out and Adventure is enabled.

This gives you a taste of what my Tape Emulator will do for the 4051, 4052 and 4054 Tektronix graphics computers.
The Tape Emulator board supports multiple directories - each with 100 files, so I am still going through my Tek program repository and 'porting' programs to run on the Tape Emulator - specifically adding the FIND@5:1 and OLD@5: when the programs end so the computer will automatically return to a Menu Program.

Stay tuned.

Tape Emulator GAMES Menu.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	Tape Emulator GAMES Menu.png Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	1227052

Last edited:
I purchased a vintagetek.org "RAMPACK" for the Tektronix 4051 computer from their auction on EBAY:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115063476625

I was interested in the listing of programs on the RAMPACK in the auction.

There was an INVADER I game that I never saw on any of the 4051 program tapes I have recovered and posted on github.

Since the RAMPACK was designed by Micheal Cranford - a Tektronix engineer, but not on the 4051 design team, he put several games and picture files that I had never seen before on this RAMPACK! He told me he was also the author of many if not all of the Fast Graphics demos that were subsequently turned into R12 demos.

Micheal developed his FAST GRAPHICs ROM PACK at home. When he first demonstrated his FAST GRAPHICs to the 4051 designers some claimed that what FG was doing was impossible so he must have modified the 4051 hardware. Fortunately the demo 4051 was supplied by the 4051 group manager who pointed out that it was his machine and no hardware modifications had been done! Micheal's FAST GRAPHICs demonstration included fast persistent vectors and fast refresh vectors!

Micheal also said the 4051 product group made changes and even removed some Fast Graphics commands as they developed the 4051R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM Pack. Michael modified the R12 Graphics demo files in his RAMPACK to be compatible with his original FAST GRAPHICs ROM.

I encourage anyone with a Tektronix 4051 computer to purchase the RAMPACK and the MAXIROM that vintagetek.org are currently offering on EBAY!

The RAMPACK has static EEPROMs that contain programs and data files and can completely replace the 4051 internal tape drive - particularly interesting as the DC100 tapes and their later generations are becoming more difficult to find - and their drive belts are typically broken.

The MAXIROM is a ROM PACK with a collection of eight 4051 ROMs including the R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM, and operates like the 4051 ROM Expander.

Since 4051 ROM Packs are not compatible with the 4052 or 4054A that I have - I purchased the RAMPACK to access the program and data files that I haven't seen before.

First thing I did after pulling the INVADER I FG program and corresponding data file from the RAMPACK was to begin porting that program to my Tektronix 4050 Flash Drive.

Today I can report that my port is complete - and INVADER I is an awesome ACTION game for the Tektronix 4050 computers!!

I did modify the game to change the drawing of the INVADER from persistent graphics to refresh graphics by changing a "1" to a "-2" in the R12 Graphics Enhancement CALL "ADRAW" command! Now the Invader image floats on the screen, randomly moving above your CASTLE.

I also added user definable key 1 to launch a new missile and changed user definable key 3 to speed up the missile and added user definable key 8 to slow down the missile.

I also added code to slow down the gameplay for my 4052 and 4054A computers, based on code I saw in a Tektronix factory test tape - 4050 CYCLE test program to detect the computer model using the RND(1) function and set the value of a delay loop to get a 1 second delay in the test program between screens.

Otherwise the Invader was too fast to play against.

Here is a composite photo of loading the INVADER I game from my 4050 Flash Drive which uses a microSD card to store my ENTIRE repository of recovered Tektronix 4050 computer programs, with the files from each recovered tape stored in separate FAT32 folders in the microSD card.

My partner WaveyDipole and I added a PRINT @5,9:"foldername" command to the 4050 Flash Drive to access individual file folders.

Then the FIND@5:filenumber will open a selected file, and you load that file with OLD@5:

Here is a composite photo I made from my iphone video today of running INVADER I on my 4054A computer. Its a composite of the screenshot of my missile shot before it hit the Invader and the invader explosion and crash a second later:

Click image for larger version  Name:	missile with hit on invader.png Views:	8 Size:	250.3 KB ID:	1231523

Bonus points for game sound effects!

The RAMPACK take advantage of not only the 10x faster vector graphics, but also provides MUSIC and SOUND effects for the Invader laser blasts and end of game music for either the Invader win or your win of a round!

It is close to arcade - I'm thinking I need to try to design a Space INVADER game using the techniques I found in Michaels' INVADER I program!

Attachments

• missile with hit on invader.png
    missile with hit on invader.png
    250.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
With lots of help from @WaveyDipole and Micheal D. Cranford, we have been able to port Micheal's Fast Graphics picture demo files to work with the 4050 GPIB Flash Drive!

Biggest hurdle to overcome was how to load the FG image files, which pack each X,Y endpoint in only 3 ASCII characters.

Micheal's Fast Graphics ROM for the 4051 has special INPUT commands to load the files without modifying any characters - since the standard INPUT command requires ASCII strings be terminated and that character is removed by the BASIC ROM.

The 4051R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM and 4052R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM have a CALL "IMAGES",A$ command which retrieves an entire FG image - but this CALL only supports the internal tape drive - not external GPIB storage, nor Micheal's RAMPACK storage.

I had previously ported and posted BASIC programs that displayed R12 ROM or FG graphics image files - but I had to convert the 3-byte FG format into 6 byte ASCII HEX characters to use the standard INPUT command - very slow to load and convert ASCII HEX into single byte ASCII character image strings.

Our solution is to use the binary GPIB READ command instead of INPUT. A limitation of the binary READ command is the binary string is limited to 8K bytes - and there are many R12 Demo and FG images that are larger than that. In fact, the largest images are over 26K bytes - so READ of 8KB "chunks" into a separate string cannot be done in the 4051 with max memory of 32KB.

What is working now on the 4051 and 4052 (as of last night) is reducing the "chunk size" to 3K bytes, and reading "chunks" and appending them to the target string until a special terminator string is read. @WaveyDipole wrote a python script that converts an FG image file into 3K byte chunks with proper binary READ headers on each string which includes the length of that string.

I then wrote a new FG image viewer program that takes advantage of a couple of our 4050 Flash Drive features including a feature to INPUT the FAT32 filename - which is designed to match the 4051 tape file header string, which can also include a short file comment. I have manually added the FG filename in this comment area, and extract and display this filename in this demo program - instead of using DATA statements in the program. There are only 92 bytes free in my FG picture viewer running on a 4051 with 32KB of memory!
With the READ/WRITE capability added to the Flash Drive, we are much closer to having our 4050 GPIB Flash Drive ready to order
1f642.png

Here is a link to my video running the FG demo on my 4052 computer.

https://youtu.be/Ju8e0Z6RjqE

Here is my 4052 displaying the Fast Graphics "Death Star" image file from the 4050 GPIB Flash Drive.

The 4050 GPIB Flash Drive is plugged into a short GPIB cable so I can easily access the microSD flash card or the whole flash drive from the front of the computer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Death Star-small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.5 KB ID:	1232960
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Last edited:
Tektronix Fast Graphics is cool :)

I decided to try to make a Star Wars BB-8 Fast Graphics picture. The R2-D2 picture was manually digitized in the late 1970's from a photo or magazine picture.

I didn't want to manually digitize, so I found a BB-8 SVG vector image on the internet. But it actually included curves and circles - and I needed the drawing to only include MOVE and DRAW commands. I found an online website that converted the SVG file to an HPGL plotter file that only included PU (PenUp) and PD (PenDown) commands. I then replaced the PU with M and PD with L which are the SVG Move and Lineto drawing commands. I then used the SVG to Fast Graphics program I had created to display my modified R2-D2 picture to display BB-8.

Here is the result on my 4052 computer:

265455813_10220480163095111_5853753606237634260_n.jpg

I used the GPIB Flash Drive to develop and debug my BASIC program on my 4052.

I can't stop - this is too fun :)

Today I created a new detailed R2-D2 image, so BB-8 has a pal.

I scaled down the size of BB-8, which should be about 61 percent of the height of R2-D2.

This only took one Fast Graphics command: CALL "RSCALE"

scaled BB-8 and R2-D2cropped.jpg

​​​​​​​

I have uploaded my SVG to Fast Graphics program and data files to my Tektronix program repository on github:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/SVG-to-Fast-Graphics-R12

Fast Graphics images are objects that can be moved and scaled.

My latest addition to my new Star Wars images is C-3PO.

In these photos, I have moved the three droids into position for a family photo!

First photo is from my 4052 running the program and data files from my GPIB Flash Drive:

C-3PO BB-8 and R2-D2.jpeg

Second photo shows that these large images can be loaded on @WaveyDipole's latest 405x Emulator and any 4051 with 32KB of RAM:

405x C3PO BB8 R2D2.png

I have not debugged the GPIB Flash Drive issue with READ and WRITE commands on my 4054A computer yet. The A-Series Tektronix computers replaced the discrete GPIB logic with a TI-9914A GPIB Controller IC, so I suspect the issue is a low level GPIB timing problem and plan to connect my logic analyzer to see what is happening during those transactions.

Then my 4050 GPIB Flash Drive will be ready for sale :)

My Flash Drive for all the Tektronix 4050 computers is now ready for ordering!!
------------------
This Flash Drive replaces your 4050 internal tape drive and allows you to enjoy all your programs - plus my github repository programs, without requiring any 4050 ROM Pack.
--------------

My 4050 Flash Drive does NOT require any ROM Pack for use, but does require minor modifications to programs that were designed for the internal tape drive.

The primary modification to FIND, OLD, SAVE, INPUT, PRINT, READ and WRITE statements would be to add the @5: GPIB address of the Flash Drive to those commands.

The Flash Drive supports multiple directories on the FAT32 formatted MicroSD card, which uses a PRINT @5,9:"folder name" command to the Flash Drive to change the directory from the current directory (default "ROOT") to an existing directory on the microSD card.

Note that some programs - such as the Fast Graphics / R12 Pictures requires the R12 ROM Pack - Either the vintagetek.org MaxiROM for the 4051 or Jos Dreesen's Multi-Function ROM Pack for the 4052/4054 and A-Series 4052/4054.

Tektronix 4051 MaxiRom is currently available on EBAY from its developer: vintagetek.org and provides Tektronix 4051 with all the 4051 Option ROMs including R12 Graphics and Music.

Jos' MFM ROM Pack for the 4052/4054 emulates an 8-slot 4050E01 ROM Expander and includes a TransEra-741 Real-Time-Clock plus a 4052 RS-232 Printer Interface! I have used the Real-Time-Clock to automatically boot my 4052 into the Pictures Menu (you can easily pick your own program for boot). Jos' MFM ROM Pack for the 4052/4054 is available - contact him on his vcfed.org thread:

Here are screenshots of the Picture Menu and the Games Menu.
FlashDrive-MainMenu.png

FlashDrive-Games.png

FlashDrive-Pictures.png

Back