• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Telescope issues

NeXT

Veteran Member
I highly doubt that too many people here are hardcore into telescopes or the stars but I have this Coulter CT-100 I pulled from the trash a few years back and today I bought a Nikon Coolpix 950 for $20 and found that it almost perfectly screws on where the viewfinder goes.
PB162297.jpg

The problem however is that the diagonal mirror seems to be getting in the way of the big picture and since it's not a problem with the two viewfinders I have I am safe to assume there is something additionally special regarding the viewfinders.
Now, is there any way to fix this little problem? I really want to see what kind of photographs I can get with this thing. I tried using my Olympus C-2100UZ but of course it is way too big.

Do you mean the camera lens fits in the eyepiece holder? If that's the case you're effectively taking a photo of the diagonal and it will be on the small side. As Ole suggests, focusing on the CCD (the light sensitive part of a digital camera) will give the best results. If the camera lens assembly isn't removable, you can also try what's called eyepiece projection, whereby you put an eyepiece between the 'scope and the camera to focus the image (although depending on the eyepiece and the camera's zoom, you may still not be able to fill the frame).

First off the camera will not sit at a diagonal when fully screwed on and secondly the Coolpix does not have a removable lens. Everything is built into the housing of the camera.
I was thinking of eyepiece projection as well for my non-adjustable eyepiece but I'm trying to figure out how on earth that will work.

Back