• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Teletype pin-up printouts

obsol33t

I'd like to print out some ASCII art on a teletype for my hobby room. Can anyone point me to some 1960's - 1970s ASCII art that might have been printed on teletypes? It's east to find ASCII art online, but it's all pretty modern.

I've got some files circa 1974 that are line printer art--the requirement is that your printer must support FORTRAN carriage control; that is, + in the first character of a line inhibits linefeed, "0' double-spaces, '1' goes to top-of-page. They're pretty large. From Princeton. Looks to also require 132-column line printer. (e.g. Mona Lisa, Moon, etc.) It's basically this stuff, read off a 9 track tape, that was passed around quite a bit back in the day.
I believe that David Geisswein has pretty much the same stuff here, although the file sizes differ a bit.

The header to "One Giant Leap" reads as follows:

Code:
-                                                           ONE GIANT LEAP
-                                                   COMPUTER TRANSCRIPTION PROCESS
0                                                                 BY
0                                                         SAMUEL P. HARBISON
0                                                       COMPUTER CENTER CLINIC
                                                         PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
                                                           87 PROSPECT ST.
                                                     PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY 08540
-                                                  COPYRIGHT 1973 BY S. P. HARBISON
-                                                       SHEET  1 OF  3 SHEETS
-                         THE COMPLETE PICTURE IS CONSTRUCTED BY TAPING THE SHEETS TOGETHER SO THAT THE
                          LAST CHARACTER ON THE FIRST SHEET MEETS THE FIRST CHARACTER ON THE NEXT SHEET
                          WITH NO WHITE SPACE BETWEEN THEM.  THIS WILL REQUIRE TRIMMING THE SHEETS WITH
                          SCISSORS.  DO NOT PUT TAPE ON THE PRINTED SIDE OF THE PAPER; TAPE FROM BEHIND.
-

Last edited:
Much early teleprinter art was done in 5-bit code on pre-computer teleprinters. A search for RTTY ART should turn up some samples. You might also want to look at the green keys e-mail list. From time to time they transmit old pictures and calendars as Baudot on the ITTY servers...
... MMTTY will probably let you save it...

Trivia: When I worked in DEC Storage, I recall that the Diagnostics team implemented a test failure message that included an ASCII-art image of Darth Vader, with the caption "You have failed me for the last time!".

Pete

I'd like to print out some ASCII art on a teletype for my hobby room. Can anyone point me to some 1960's - 1970s ASCII art that might have been printed on teletypes? It's east to find ASCII art online, but it's all pretty modern.
There are four ASCII art items linked to at the end of:

Not specifically what is suggested by "pin-up", though.

Vince

Thanks everyone. I've seen some ASCII art printouts of women which is what made me suspect that's what you might have typically seen pinned up on a wall, but it looks like there was a wide variety of art out there. I wouldn't mind a printout of Spock. I pulled out my DECwriter II today and see the serial cable was cut and a ribbon cable is disconnected. I haven't used this teletype yet, so it will need a bit of work. If anyone has a working setup and might be willing to print something for me and mail it in a tube, I'd be happy to buy it from you and pay the shipping. I have yet to select an art piece.

The story about the DEC diagnostics team including an ASCII-art image of Darth Vader was pretty funny!

There was quite a bit of crude ASCII art in the 1970s as well. Here's a sample from a CDC NOS 1.3 tape. There are a few other samples on the tape.

Attachments

• aart.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 7
Back