• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tell Me About Your Ideal Apple II Gaming Setup

ignis-fatuus

Well, I picked up a couple of Apple II's recently and have been having a blast dabbling with them on my free time. Originally I was simply looking to score a working ][+ or //e to play some games from my childhood but I've had a run of good luck lately and find myself edging closer and closer toward building an early Apple gaming rig that likely would have blown my early developing kid brain. I am hoping to finish the process of rebuilding, recapping, and cleaning (oh how dirty and abused some of these old Apple components are these days) one of my Apple II projects this winter and spend some real time sinking my teeth into some of Apple's formative RPGs (and newer RPGs, like Nox Archaist!) and roguelikes. It's got me thinking, what have others found to stuff into and bolt onto their beige boxes in the search of reaching a similar goal...that is building an Apple II gaming machine, or, at least, and Apple II well suited for the playback of games designed for the Apple II series.

I suppose I will kick things off myself here where I'll list the current state of the build and what I'd like to add.

[My little Tower of Power]
20221113_114516.jpg
Microcomputer
Apple //e (not enhanced...and now with a functioning power supply and bank of ram!)
Cards
80 Col/RGB -- total of 128k of ram and hookup for RGB-awesomeness!
Super Serial Card -- great of writing disks via ADT Pro
Floppy Controller Card
Drives
DuoDisk -- Oddly I find that I have to setup the disk on top of the monitor due to the monitor's oddly heavy design
Monitor
AppleColor Monitor 100 -- Oddly enough, these were the Apple monitors I was most accustomed to and had no idea of just how rare they seem to be. Then again, growing up and going to school in Cupertino, Apple must have made sure that schools in their own backyard were kitted out with some of their best equipment (that or nobody was willing to shell out the large sums of money for the early RGB monitors and they simply donated a good deal of their overstock to nearby schools). Either way, super thrilled to have my hands on a working monitor and RGB card.
Peripherals
Apple Hand Controllers -- Will eventually look to swap out for a proper joystick.

That's the state of things now. Eventually get things cleaned up and might start a new thread just for recapping the AppleColor Monitor 100. I'm Still trying to figure out what to do sound card-wise; always on the lookout of a mockingboard, but aside from the recent reproduction kits, not seeing much out there these days.

I'd love to see (post some pics of your gaming setups!) and read about what others have acquired for their own gaming purposes. Any comments or suggestions for improvements are likewise encouraged.

Last edited:

• Aux Slot - Applied Engineering Ramworks I (256K) w/a2heaven Ramworks VGA extender
  • Slot 1 - Apple Super Serial Card
  • Slot 2 - Apple II Mouse Card
  • Slot 3 - Passport MIDI Interface
  • Slot 4 - Sweet Micro Systems Mockingboard C (Rev. D)
  • Slot 5 - Apple II Memory Expansion Card (1M)
  • Slot 6 - Apple Disk II Interface Card > Apple DuoDisk
  • Slot 7 - Apple High-Speed SCSI Card > AppleCD SC > Minolta CD-10 (PCMCIA>Compactflash)

The VGA extender doesn't see much use at the moment, but it's certainly nice to have the additional options available...

• Aux Slot - Applied Engineering Ramworks I (256K) w/a2heaven Ramworks VGA extender
  • Slot 1 - Apple Super Serial Card
  • Slot 2 - Apple II Mouse Card
  • Slot 3 - Passport MIDI Interface
  • Slot 4 - Sweet Micro Systems Mockingboard C (Rev. D)
  • Slot 5 - Apple II Memory Expansion Card (1M)
  • Slot 6 - Apple Disk II Interface Card > Apple DuoDisk
  • Slot 7 - Apple High-Speed SCSI Card > AppleCD SC > Minolta CD-10 (PCMCIA>Compactflash)

The VGA extender doesn't see much use at the moment, but it's certainly nice to have the additional options available...

Whoa, that's a pretty rad setup you have going there. I didn't realize how well the AppleColor Monitor fits with the Duodisk--very cool. Also, some very cool cards you've managed to stuff in there. If I can ask, how long have you been working on this setup and do you have any changes you hope to make in the future?

If I can ask, how long have you been working on this setup and do you have any changes you hope to make in the future?
It's been mostly stable for a few years now. Here is a short acquisition timeline:

08/09/2017 - Passport MIDI Interface​
09/25/2017 - Apple //e "w/monitor, DuoDisk, mouse"​
01/07/2018 - Apple High-Speed SCSI Card​
03/01/2018 - Apple AppleCD SC​
11/13/2018 - Sweet Micro Systems Mockingboard​
11/18/2018 - Apple II Memory Expansion Card​
12/14/2018 - AppleDesign Powered Speakers​
12/24/2018 - Apple Joystick (A2M2012)​
11/11/2019 - a2heaven Ramworks VGA Extender​
11/21/2019 - Applied Engineering Ramworks I​
08/13/2020 - Applied Engineering Phasor​

The Phasor was only briefly used and then relegated back to its box in favor of the less-filtered output of the Mockingboard.

As far as future plans go, the idea of adding a Floppy Emu holds some appeal, but other than that, and as concerns my use cases otherwise, I don't know if there's much to improve upon.

Reactive Micro has the CFFA 3000 available, this will give you the ability to use hard disk and floppy disk images from USB thumb drives, while only taking a single slot. I have one in my //e, it's really a great all around solution for disk emulation.

Unfortunately, it looks like Reactive Micro was hosted on the provider that went down late last week, that won't be coming back. Hopefully they'll find alternate hosting soon.

Reactive Micro has the CFFA 3000 available, this will give you the ability to use hard disk and floppy disk images from USB thumb drives, while only taking a single slot. I have one in my //e, it's really a great all around solution for disk emulation.

Unfortunately, it looks like Reactive Micro was hosted on the provider that went down late last week, that won't be coming back. Hopefully they'll find alternate hosting soon.
Oh no, did a major webhost / VPS provider bite the dust?

For my II gaming rig, not counting the IIgs, it would be my IIe Platinum. These are the notes on it in my spreadsheet currently:

IIe PlatinumNew PSU, Super Serial, MIDI, CP/M card (PCPI Applicard clone), MicroDrive Turbo, RAMworks IIII, Yellowstone Disk controller, Mockingboard, RTC

I have several different CH Mach series joysticks, a couple legitimate ones, and a couple PC ones that look the same if you don't notice the adapter ;)

The Midi card has a low power bluetooth wireless module inside. I run 'Midi Patchbay' on my modern iMac, which has a USB connection to my SC-55 and other MIDI Synths (Akai SG-01k, Yamaha MU-80, and Korg 05R/W). It's really nice because all cards are fitted in slots or with mounted 3.5mm jacks, and since the MIDI is wireless, I don't have a mess to disconnect when I move the system. With my IIe systems I really do everything I can not to have cables hanging out the back II+ style.

That's a great pairing.

My //e is cabled into a MIDI network, but primarily just for access to the Roland U-110 at the moment.

Gorgeous stuff!!

After the 4 midi modules mentioned, the MIDI thru goes to a buffered splitter. My other music equipment like my Korg Minilogue and Aria TR-8 are downwind. It kind of ties together my Retro computer/MIDI and modern production stuff, and a pair of Technics 1200s is firmly wedged in the middle of the mix :)

Back