• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Texelec's keyboard foam replacements

So if I've read Al's comment correctly, if I were to remove the shiny material from one of these foam replacements, on the shiny side I'd have no conductivity but on the side that was glued to the foam there would be conductivity? I took one foam pad apart, scraped away the foam residue on the glued side and tried a conductivity test... nothing on either side of the 'mylar' or whatever the shiny stuff used is.

Does this suggest there's something wrong with my keyboard since mine seems to prefer having the conductive side contact the PCB?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what's been said. I'm just wanting to clarify if I have a defect with the pads or the Sol itself.

Last edited:
So is the verdict that the post-July 4 pads actually don't work in a Sol? If this is true, does anyone have a source for replacement pads that will work in a Sol?

So if I've read Al's comment correctly, if I were to remove the shiny material from one of these foam replacements, on the shiny side I'd have no conductivity but on the side that was glued to the foam there would be conductivity? I took one foam pad apart, scraped away the foam residue on the glued side and tried a conductivity test... nothing on either side of the 'mylar' or whatever the shiny stuff used is.

Does this suggest there's something wrong with my keyboard since mine seems to prefer having the conductive side contact the PCB?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what's been said. I'm just wanting to clarify if I have a defect with the pads or the Sol itself.

Hello again everyone,

The conductive side (or metal/aluminum plated side) is supposed to be the side that is glued to the foam and the capacitive side faces the board/PCB. That is how they are put together.
So yes, trying to do an ohm test on the bottom of the pad will not show any results. The inside of the pad will pass an ohm test. However, trying to disassemble one will likely not work unless you are able to get all of the glue and foam left behind off. I just tried that myself and I also tried just sticking the probes in the pad against the aluminum side and it shows no reading. You have to conduct the test on clean material. Even if you tried to clean all the foam with something like rubbing alcohol it would also likely not pass an ohm test. If you could manage to get that dense foam and the glue off it would possibly also remove the aluminum plating from the mylar.

Here’s how I know this. On my very first batch of pads with this new material I actually did glue the mylar side down to the foam pad leaving the aluminum plating outward to touch the board. This is because I did an initial finger test (meaning I put the aluminum plated mylar on my finger and touched it to my Compaq board) and it responded wonderfully! I turned it to the mylar side and got nothing, well nothing consistent anyway. I could barely touch the metal plated side to the board and it would register a reading. I could swoop it across and make it dance on that board and it would register a reading meaning it would deliver a character to the screen. I thought, “WOW THIS IS AWESOME! Nothing like that old material I was using.” Which was, by the way, static bag material. I tested it the same way before I made pads and the static bag was never this “sensitive”. So I made a batch and installed them in my Compaq. I also spattered a heavy amount of glue on parts of the outside as it was windy outside and tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol in those spots. I had to scrub it a lot. All the pads seemed to work great except for those that I cleaned too much…OR SO I THOUGHT! However, sometimes key presses would register multiple characters to the screen, I didn’t know what was happening, I just thought there was something else going on with my Compaq. So I made another batch so I could send them to my Lisa tester. I then tell him all about what I have done and how excited I am about how it is so sensitive, and this is what he tells me:

“Keep in mind that these are capacitive keyboards, not conductive. This means that the plastic side of the sheet needs to be outwards, touching the PCB. If you flip the conductive side towards the PCB, it will wear off quite quickly. Also, using your finger to press it onto the PCB isn't a good test, as your finger adds capacitance the same way an iPhone screen detects your finger. Gluing a piece to a pencil eraser would be a great test.”

I then respond be asking about how long it will last and dissatisfied because I want these to last forever! So he is, again, very patient with me and explains even more. Also, keep in mind, I already had some other nice gentlemen telling me all of this on the Apple Lisa group on Facebook prior to my first batch. I just wasn’t getting it! :D He says this:

“Yes. On a capacitive pad, you want only the plastic to touch the PCB. The metal on the other side acts as a capacitor, which the keyboard senses. It may work for a little while if flipped around, but the metal can wear off. Not just Lisa's, but all the Key Tronic keyboards should have the plastic side outwards. Some keyboards are just more sensitive to the materials than others. If we can find a good material that works well in the Lisa, it should work on all other keyboards also.”

He also sent me this nifty diagram: https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Foam-Pad-Diagram.png

He then added this:

“Use a multimeter on the lowest resistance (ohms) setting. You'll find that one side is conductive, that's the metal side. The other side is not conductive, that's the plastic side.”

So I did and I just made a video doing this test for you on the material I am using on the pads. I tried tearing apart a pre-assembled pad but it is not showing a reading through the left over foam and glue so here it is before assembly: https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Aluminum-Plated-Mylar-OHM-Test.mp4

I also did an ohm test on an original pad from my Compaq. The foam was still decent, and the glue was holding on pretty well so I didn’t scrub it too much as I didn’t want to remove any of the plating so the reading isn’t as strong as it would be on clean material: https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Original-Foam-Pads-Pulled-from-Compaq-OHM-Test.mp4

I have heard back from my Lisa tester, who ended up being a different customer than the nice gentleman that helped me SO MUCH during construction. He just got too busy to work on his Lisa so I got someone else to get it tested for me. He was very thorough and had some critiques on the foam being more dense than the original. He only mentions this because he knows purists out there will want the same feel when hitting the keys which I understand. I like this foam because it will have an overall longer shelf life than open cell foam, I mention all of this in my blog post. Anyway, he did verify that every single pad worked, unlike the static bag material which was hit or miss for him as well. This is what he said on the Lisa group:

“I tested them in my Lisa keyboard, they all worked great. I have rebuilt a number of keyboards, at least 7 or 8. I think Sara's pads are the best option available. I usually purchase the foam pads, then build them myself, using the old parts from the degraded original pads. Unfortunately, the shipping alone for those foam pads is about $20. In addition, a lot of the time, the silvery colored mylar, is worn completely off. So, the old parts can't be used.”

I also heard back from Verault, who has posted on this thread as well and said every single pad worked, again, unlike the static bag material. I have received feedback from people on eBay as well but only 3 people (including Verault) mention the actual product. I think people order these and don’t get them installed right away. I really hope I will hear back from more people soon. I have sent all replacements out up to this point so maybe more from the Lisa group and eBay will give me feedback. Here is a link to my eBay feedback: https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2

Here is a link to my blog post where I talk all about the saga of the foam pads but there I did not go into all this capacitive/conductive detail. It was more an overall story from the original material I used and the final Lisa testing with the aluminum plated mylar. It also discusses other computers that the guys from the Lisa group were telling me about that used KeyTronic “foam and foil” pads: https://texelec.com/2018/07/04/new-and-improved-foam-capacitive-pads-for-keytronic-keyboards/

A link to the Apple Lisa group (which is a closed group so you will need to join) post is below and in those comments you will also find a man who made his own pads and used them on Lisa’s, SOL-20s, Hyperions and a TRS-80, they were all the same pads. You will also see others explaining the capacitive versus the conductive sides on the post comments: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456236001309154/permalink/2132704983662249/

Here is a Deskthority article talking about KeyTronics keyboards that use the “foam and foil” capacitive pads: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Key_Tronic_foam_and_foil

Here is a page that I hope will be updated someday to include my premade capacitive pads because there is a replacement available now that doesn’t include all the cleaning, cutting, punching and gluing! Maybe someday, one can hope. ;) http://sol20.org/keyboard.html

I started making these because of many articles I read about cutting foam gluing old plastic and using aluminum foil, mylar balloons, foiled wrapping paper, space blankets, etc. and painstakingly removing old materials and cleaning and gluing...and so on. I purchased a punch set and started making my own to fix old terminals and Compaq Portables as well as a Tandy or two along the way. You’ll see if you read my blog post. :)

Falter, I can’t help but think that your keyboard does have an issue outside of the foam pads needing to be replaced and I really hope that my very long-winded comment here has helped you understand the construction of the “foam and foil” pads and how they work. I know that I learned a lot myself in this process.

DavidL, if you were to buy a set of pads to fix your SOL I would be happy to accept a return if they did not work out for you and I would appreciate the testing on a SOL! I contacted a customer of mine earlier today when I read these new comments that I KNOW is going to be replacing his pads in a SOL. I will be happy to let you know when/if I hear back from him. He may even comment on this thread as he appears to have previously commented on this thread already. ;)

After installing the post-July 4 TexElec pads in one of my Sol-20's I can report that they do indeed work! There are a few keys that aren't yet playing nice but I suspect I need to clean some the PC board's pad sites. A number of keys didn't appear to work at first but with some repeated use they seemed to get better. I think that points back to cleaning but I'll check the more problematic keys to ensure the replacement pads are installed correctly and aren't deformed. During installation I was careful to pick out the most pristine pads.

I believe falter's keyboard is actually a little faltery. :rolleyes:

Sara, thanks for hanging with us on this. It's sometimes "challenging" to get this cranky old stuff to go once again but it looks like yours is a good solution.

After installing the post-July 4 TexElec pads in one of my Sol-20's I can report that they do indeed work! There are a few keys that aren't yet playing nice but I suspect I need to clean some the PC board's pad sites. A number of keys didn't appear to work at first but with some repeated use they seemed to get better. I think that points back to cleaning but I'll check the more problematic keys to ensure the replacement pads are installed correctly and aren't deformed. During installation I was careful to pick out the most pristine pads.

I believe falter's keyboard is actually a little faltery. :rolleyes:

Sara, thanks for hanging with us on this. It's sometimes "challenging" to get this cranky old stuff to go once again but it looks like yours is a good solution.

DaveL, that is excellent news! HOORAY! I actually just did a little jump for joy over here! :D Thank you VERY MUCH for the update! I do hope falter gets his SOL working. I have to admit I'm a little jealous, those are sweet looking machines!

Thanks Sara! Yes, that definitely helps a lot. Now i know that I need to target my Sol a bit more and figure out what's going on here. I note that my Sol takes a good 2-3 minutes to warm up before it even notices any keypresses - foam pads or finger. Some have suggested solder problems, etc. Now that Dave has confirmed your pads work, I'm all good and will figure this out! Thank you again for the explanation and excellent customer service!

Thanks Sara! Yes, that definitely helps a lot. Now i know that I need to target my Sol a bit more and figure out what's going on here. I note that my Sol takes a good 2-3 minutes to warm up before it even notices any keypresses - foam pads or finger. Some have suggested solder problems, etc. Now that Dave has confirmed your pads work, I'm all good and will figure this out! Thank you again for the explanation and excellent customer service!

No problem falter. I hope you get it up and running, she's a beauty! Best of luck to you!

Well, we may not be quite golden yet. After cleaning all the pad sites on the PCB, trimming the power supply so that there's exactly 5V at the keyboard-side ribbon connector, re-seating some pads that I didn't mount correctly the first time (must listen for the little clicks!), and swapping out a couple pads that weren't as pretty as the others I still have keys that aren't first-time-every-time reliable and a few that still won't register at all. (Please note: All the pad sites will register if I do the "finger test" or use one of the pads mounted at the end of a plastic screwdriver handle, so I don't believe there's any electronic issue with the PCB.)

In examining the key assembly I noticed that when keys are fully depressed none of the pads extend very far past the bottom of the keys' plastic housings. Some pads don't extend very far at all. I also noticed that the aluminum/mylar of most of the pads is slightly deformed (picture "domed") due to their scrubbing against the inside of the plastic housings due to a very slight slant in the pad stack. The aluminum/mylar "dome" stays intact and may even accentuate as a key is depressed until it's fully extended, at which point it begins to flatten out due to pressure against the PCB pads. I'm wondering if this "dome" effect in combination with the limited pad travel might be contributing to the problem: as a key is depressed and the domed mylar approaches the PCB pad site the sensed capacitance doesn't "jump" to provide a solid key detection, maybe it ramps instead as the dome flattens. Further, if the domed mylar doesn't flatten enough due to the limited travel of the pad there may not be enough of a capacitance change to be reliably detected.

To test some of this madness I put one of the double-height pads in a key that previously wasn't working at all. The pad now extended past the plastic housing further than I would have liked but there was no dome and suddenly that key started working pretty well. Hm.

So my wonderings at this point are A) pads for a Sol need to be somewhat thicker, maybe somewhere in between a normal and a double-height pad and B) the "dome" effect has to be somehow minimized by reducing/eliminating any slant the pad stack might have so a pad doesn't scrub against the sides of its key housing.

Dunno, just thoughts. Capacitive keyboards really do seem to be freakin' voodoo and Sol keyboards are 40-year-old freakin' voodoo. Lovely.

Thoughts?

Yeah I don't understand at all what is going on with mine. When I repalced the pads on my Lisa it was like immediate success.

What's strange is that some from the first batch Sara made do work. Just none from the second. So bizarre. I have to read up on how the keyboard takes care of business and then figure out what needs to be fixed. I don't know why they'd use such a convoluted system rather than simple contact switches.

It was the 70's, baby!

It would be a great question for Lee, however. That keyboard was the bane of many a Sol, both kit and assembled. By the time I built mine in '78 the kits came with pre-assembled keyboards and even those were hit-or-miss. Mine had to be replaced immediately as it was DOA (but I didn't know it until I had built the whole system).

It was the 70's, baby!

It would be a great question for Lee, however. That keyboard was the bane of many a Sol, both kit and assembled. By the time I built mine in '78 the kits came with pre-assembled keyboards and even those were hit-or-miss. Mine had to be replaced immediately as it was DOA (but I didn't know it until I had built the whole system).

I wonder why they didn't just subcontract the whole deal to Keytronics. I also wonder if there is much variation in the different revisions of Sol keyboard.. mine is a Rev B.

In any event, I have been going through the first batch of foam pads and tested each on the keyboard pcb. It's interesting how some work well and others just don't. It's about 50/50. I wonder what determines whether it works or not. I would have thought given they were cut from the same material it'd be less black and white.

The mylar ones do not work at all on mine. Not one.

I wonder why they didn't just subcontract the whole deal to Keytronics. I also wonder if there is much variation in the different revisions of Sol keyboard.. mine is a Rev B.

In any event, I have been going through the first batch of foam pads and tested each on the keyboard pcb. It's interesting how some work well and others just don't. It's about 50/50. I wonder what determines whether it works or not. I would have thought given they were cut from the same material it'd be less black and white.

The mylar ones do not work at all on mine. Not one.

It was the same with my first batch Falter. More like 60/40 though. Some worked some didnt, no in between. I wondered if maybe on the ones that didn't work the conductive material was upside down. Seems you are making progress though. I suppose you can ask Sarah to whip you up another batch of the original material. She told me she was hand punching those however but maybe shed make the exception if you ask her.

I tried an experiment to prove or disprove the "dome" theory. I trimmed the edges of the aluminum/mylar disks to make them smaller. This prevented any scrubbing against the plastic housings. In baseball they call the results of this an "O-fer". Zero for 10 keys worked. So much for that theory...

I'm still wondering about the extension of the pads when the keys are pressed and if some additional height in the pads would allow better key detection.

After re-reading yet again some descriptions of how others have replaced the pads I'm now wondering if the thickness of the aluminum is not contributing to the problem. Many seem to have used mylar from "space blankets" and mylar balloons/wrapping material with no additional backing, minimizing the distance from the mylar to the PCB pad sites when a key is pressed.

i had to "trim" a few that didnt fit perfectly or were catching on the plastic. Trimming them did nothing to change whether or not they worked from the start.

Yeah I don't understand at all what is going on with mine. When I repalced the pads on my Lisa it was like immediate success.

What's strange is that some from the first batch Sara made do work. Just none from the second. So bizarre. I have to read up on how the keyboard takes care of business and then figure out what needs to be fixed. I don't know why they'd use such a convoluted system rather than simple contact switches.

I tried an experiment to prove or disprove the "dome" theory. I trimmed the edges of the aluminum/mylar disks to make them smaller. This prevented any scrubbing against the plastic housings. In baseball they call the results of this an "O-fer". Zero for 10 keys worked. So much for that theory...

I'm still wondering about the extension of the pads when the keys are pressed and if some additional height in the pads would allow better key detection.

After re-reading yet again some descriptions of how others have replaced the pads I'm now wondering if the thickness of the aluminum is not contributing to the problem. Many seem to have used mylar from "space blankets" and mylar balloons/wrapping material with no additional backing, minimizing the distance from the mylar to the PCB pad sites when a key is pressed.

i had to "trim" a few that didnt fit perfectly or were catching on the plastic. Trimming them did nothing to change whether or not they worked from the start.

Hey guys!

I have had to trim some myself as I use ones from my reject pile. I don’t like to use my “sellable stock” for myself too often except when testing. The dome that happens sometimes, is just unavoidable, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference for me versus the ones that come out perfectly flat. Just like with Falter’s Lisa and Verault’s Compaq. I have pulled a few that are slightly domed as well as flat from my stock. Here are some photos showing how much they stick up from my Compaq as well as just sitting free:
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/three-samples-2.jpg
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/three-samples-1.jpg
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/three-samples-in-compaq-1.jpg

I don’t have much use for the double height pad in my situation. Once the PCB is attached it is directly against the top of the frame of each key, meaning the PCB sits on the frame all the time. It even screws into some of the holes in the corner of the keys. Having double height pads on it would mean the key cannot be pressed all the way in without pressure and it would compress the pad when pressed all the way.
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/three-samples-in-compaq-2.jpg

Falter: I have a bag of rejects with the old material that I have been adding to since my hammering days. If you’d like that bag I’d be glad to send it your way. I have attached photos, some are actually “sellable stock”. Keep in mind, some of them are a real mess and I may have never used them anyway. It was just faster quality control for me to throw all bad ones in one bag. I was mid bag when I started getting feedback about failing pads in Lisa machines and then Verault told me about his 60/40 issue, so I never finished that bag. I could also make you a bag with the old material and I also have another set of bags I considered using that is a bit more reflective. But note, neither of these materials pass an ohm test on either side. I guess they are just mylar coated on both sides with thin aluminum inside? This would explain why they sort of work. I always pasted those down with the inside of the bag toward the foam This was after cutting apart 12”x16” bags I still have a use for the cards we build. You could also try pasting a space blanket to some of the non-working pads or even kitchen foil to see if that helps. I did have some people tell me they just did that instead of getting replacements, but again, this was not on a SOL. Maybe even cutting up an anti-static bag would work better for you since those seem to be working for you? Do you have any double stick tape? A 7/16” leather punch tools would also be handy. You can get them cheap from Harbor Freight or maybe even Amazon. The 16th and 17th is Prime Day. Unfortunately, you will likely have to buy a set, but they are super cheap.
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/old-bag-1.jpg
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/old-bag-2.jpg
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/old-bag-3.jpg
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/old-bag-4.jpg
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/old-bag-5.jpg
Punch set: https://www.amazon.com/SE-790LP-Lea...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001F27AMI

I also have a bag of aluminum plated mylar rejects if that will help either of you:
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/new-bag-1.jpg
https://texelec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/new-bag-2.jpg

DavidL: Have you tried moving the ones that DO work reliably from those spots and putting them in the spots that DO NOT work reliably? It seems like that would tell you if it’s the PCB vs the pad and solve the height question. I know that all this testing starts circling and doubt starts forming after hours of clicking these pads in and out. Let me know if you need a second bag!

I don’t know that the thickness of the mylar is an issue. I have seen people use wrapping paper, kitchen foil space blankets, mylar balloons and something called “party foil” from the craft store. All of these materials are different thicknesses. I would think the mylar balloons would be the thickest or possibly the foiled wrapping paper and the space blanket would be the thinnest. Plus, the static bags I was using were 3 mil and the aluminum plated mylar I use now is 2 mil. However, I wouldn’t know for certain without testing all of these on a SOL. I don’t think my Compaq cares about these very small differences. I could send you a second bag as well. I’m willing to work with you guys to get this solved.

It seems like I may just have to drop support for the SOL at this point, however I hate to do that immediately. There doesn’t seem to be a uniform pattern as to why they are failing between the two of you. I’d be happy to borrow a SOL for testing and send it back to someone. �� Preferably someone in the states. Maybe my other SOL user will chime in sooner than later. He did get back to me and said he hasn’t tried them yet so maybe he will have time soon. For now, I may just make a note in my listings that they have not worked on a SOL reliably yet, I need more feedback and that's the only way I know how to get it, sell more of them. Maybe one of the users in the Lisa group could chime in as well. I’ll have to check.

I would like for these pads to work for all KeyTronics so I am not giving up quite yet, obviously!

Sarah, if you ever need someone to test either original or Mylar let me know. I have a few more keyboards to rebuild. "hint hint, super obvious" I feel this is progress towards achieving a real replacement for our legacy hardware.

A link to the Apple Lisa group (which is a closed group so you will need to join) post is below and in those comments you will also find a man who made his own pads and used them on Lisa’s, SOL-20s, Hyperions and a TRS-80, they were all the same pads.

That would be me :) I did spend a little time trying to figure out the right material, especially for the foam portion of the pads. Sounds like I got lucky with the shiny mylar "foil" as it was dollar store wrapping paper. One side has a mirror finish and the other side is green (looks like it was applied to the other originally shiny side). Neither side of this flimsy wrapping paper has any hint of conductivity or resistance so I originally didn't think it would work but it does on anything I've tried so far. I started with the SOL-20. Here's my old post with a link to the weather stripping that no longer works.

Foam and foil - foil.jpg

Sadly, the weather stripping that I finally selected for the foam is no longer available at the hardware store I bought it at. I am not 100% certain but I believe it was 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide by 35 feet long. 1/4" thick is slightly thicker but it was not too much thicker. The picture below has a real - new old stock Keytronic foam and foil disk on the left and my homemade version on the right. You can see the slight height difference.

Foam and Foil real vs mine.jpg

It's 1/2" wide because I used a 7/8" punch and hand punched them out. I used a wood backing so that it was soft for the punch. You might notice some slight saw dust in the foam :)

I chose open celled low-density foam because of key feel and it's closest to the original material. I actually tried closed cell foam but it's like trying to press down on several balloon as opposed to the open cell nature that collapses much better giving a lighter feel as there is less downward resistance. High density foam was too dense and was stiff. To be honest, I don't know how long the foam I selected will last but replacing these again is inevitable. I've seen closed cell foam in IBM 5100s turn to a tar like substance (and that is a mess to clean up) so one never knows what to expect with any foam.

I don't have many extra foam and foil disks left but how about I send Sara and Falter five disks each?

Sara, you can check out my materials and construction. I don't have any weather stripping chunks left but I can send you a scrap of "foil". It's really thin. If you would send me five disks, I can check out your construction. If you want to send me a set, I can try it out on a Sol-20. PM me.

Falter, I'd be happy to send you five disks and you can try them out and see if it makes any difference. PM me.

Be warned, I made lots of these and the few that I have left are crooked and not exactly showroom condition but they work just the same. I just have to trim them because sometimes they are crooked enough to touch the sides of the key housing. I still use these myself when I need to.

As for the "dome effect", this is normal and doesn't affect operation in my experience. I have many that are domed and they work just fine for me. I actually like the look of that :)

Hope this helps.

P.S. Sara, I have no idea why you would need "double height" key pads. All of mine are all the same thickness. I have never seen keyboards that required them. If you know of a particular model, let me know.

In the event, I went through all of the pads I bought from the first order, and tested each manually with the keyboard. I had originally ordered two bags, by the time I tested them all I had just enough to do the complete Sol keyboard... probably about a 50% success rate.

Works great with the good ones installed.. except for some reason it needs 5 minutes to 'warm up' before the computer will recognize anything typed. I suspect the problem is on the motherboard somewhere. But yeah.. about half the first batch worked with mine. No idea why the other half and the whole second batch did not.

That would be me :) I did spend a little time trying to figure out the right material, especially for the foam portion of the pads. Sounds like I got lucky with the shiny mylar "foil" as it was dollar store wrapping paper. One side has a mirror finish and the other side is green (looks like it was applied to the other originally shiny side). Neither side of this flimsy wrapping paper has any hint of conductivity or resistance so I originally didn't think it would work but it does on anything I've tried so far. I started with the SOL-20. Here's my old post with a link to the weather stripping that no longer works.

View attachment 46814

Sadly, the weather stripping that I finally selected for the foam is no longer available at the hardware store I bought it at. I am not 100% certain but I believe it was 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide by 35 feet long. 1/4" thick is slightly thicker but it was not too much thicker. The picture below has a real - new old stock Keytronic foam and foil disk on the left and my homemade version on the right. You can see the slight height difference.

View attachment 46815

It's 1/2" wide because I used a 7/8" punch and hand punched them out. I used a wood backing so that it was soft for the punch. You might notice some slight saw dust in the foam :)

I chose open celled low-density foam because of key feel and it's closest to the original material. I actually tried closed cell foam but it's like trying to press down on several balloon as opposed to the open cell nature that collapses much better giving a lighter feel as there is less downward resistance. High density foam was too dense and was stiff. To be honest, I don't know how long the foam I selected will last but replacing these again is inevitable. I've seen closed cell foam in IBM 5100s turn to a tar like substance (and that is a mess to clean up) so one never knows what to expect with any foam.

I don't have many extra foam and foil disks left but how about I send Sara and Falter five disks each?

Sara, you can check out my materials and construction. I don't have any weather stripping chunks left but I can send you a scrap of "foil". It's really thin. If you would send me five disks, I can check out your construction. If you want to send me a set, I can try it out on a Sol-20. PM me.

Falter, I'd be happy to send you five disks and you can try them out and see if it makes any difference. PM me.

Be warned, I made lots of these and the few that I have left are crooked and not exactly showroom condition but they work just the same. I just have to trim them because sometimes they are crooked enough to touch the sides of the key housing. I still use these myself when I need to.

As for the "dome effect", this is normal and doesn't affect operation in my experience. I have many that are domed and they work just fine for me. I actually like the look of that :)

Hope this helps.

P.S. Sara, I have no idea why you would need "double height" key pads. All of mine are all the same thickness. I have never seen keyboards that required them. If you know of a particular model, let me know.

In the event, I went through all of the pads I bought from the first order, and tested each manually with the keyboard. I had originally ordered two bags, by the time I tested them all I had just enough to do the complete Sol keyboard... probably about a 50% success rate.

Works great with the good ones installed.. except for some reason it needs 5 minutes to 'warm up' before the computer will recognize anything typed. I suspect the problem is on the motherboard somewhere. But yeah.. about half the first batch worked with mine. No idea why the other half and the whole second batch did not.

Snuci: The double height are supposed to be for the deeper set mechanical Caps Lock key on the Lisa's. Both the Lisa guys that I was working with from the Apple group tested them in that key on the Lisa. Well I say that, JJ made his own from two of my pads from the "bad material", this is what prompted me to make them. Jeremy actually tested the ones I now provide in each bag. I don't have a Lisa myself but they did use them so I assume they are needed for Lisa machines. I just provide them each bag in case people are buying for a Lisa. I'll PM you, I'd love another SOL test on a known good machine!

Falter: So the new aluminum plated mylar pads ARE working for you now? Is that what I just heard? Sorry, I'm in shock over here so I need to hear it again. :D

Snuci: The double height are supposed to be for the deeper set mechanical Caps Lock key on the Lisa's. Both the Lisa guys that I was working with from the Apple group tested them in that key on the Lisa.

I have five or six Lisa keyboards. I replaced the pads in at least three or four (if not all). Out of curiosity, I will check them. Hopefully I didn't replace the pads in one of them yet and I'll see if there is a difference on the Caps Lock. This picture of one of my Lisa keyboards has my homemade pads in it already. They aren't perfect and the domes are quite apparent but they work perfectly fine. At the right most side of the picture is the Caps Lock key with the white plastic surround. I would have put a normal pad in there. Of note, there were variations of the keyboard for the Lisa so they are not all the same. Has anyone else experienced the need for a different pad on Caps Lock?

Apple_A6MB101_bottom_key_switch_profile.jpg

Snuci: The double height are supposed to be for the deeper set mechanical Caps Lock key on the Lisa's. Both the Lisa guys that I was working with from the Apple group tested them in that key on the Lisa. Well I say that, JJ made his own from two of my pads from the "bad material", this is what prompted me to make them. Jeremy actually tested the ones I now provide in each bag. I don't have a Lisa myself but they did use them so I assume they are needed for Lisa machines. I just provide them each bag in case people are buying for a Lisa. I'll PM you, I'd love another SOL test on a known good machine!

Falter: So the new aluminum plated mylar pads ARE working for you now? Is that what I just heard? Sorry, I'm in shock over here so I need to hear it again. :D

About half of the first batch of pads you sent me (the ones with the blue coloured discs on one side) worked for some reason. None of the shiny foil ones have worked with mine so far.

Back