• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The "Aviator" flight sim for Sun GX hardware (e.g. SPARCstations)

AstridRedfern

Hi all,

In brief:

I'm a frequent user of the Stack Exchange Q&A site, and I've been doing some research to try to answer a question on there. I think the Sun GX flight sim "Aviator" may be a possible answer, but I can't find any screenshots or in-game footage to back this up. I'm posting here to ask if anyone with access to Sun GX hardware like the SPARCstation could get the game running on there, and post some screenshots and/or footage online.

In full:

This is the original question:

In the early 1990s, my brother went to a computer show, and came back describing an animation he'd seen demonstrated. The early part of the animation showed a fighter jet wending its way through canyons, flying in a very nap of the Earth fashion, with the end of the animation having a spacecraft rising off of a cliff wall and firing a shot that took the fighter jet down. I remember distinctly what he made the point that the spacecraft was not cloaked or otherwise invisible, but just painted in such a way that it blended perfectly with the background such that you didn't see it until it fired.

(In comments, the OP clarified that this computer show was at Ashland Community College, Kentucky.)

After some research, I reckoned a modded version of SGI's flight (aka dog) flight sim demo and aerial dogfight game might be what OP was looking for, and posted a lengthy answer, including my evidence that the mod in question with the spaceship models existed and that there was a textured canyon in at least some versions.

Since then, I've come to suspect that AHI's "Aviator" might also be a possibility. These are my reasons:

1.) One of the planes available was a conventional fighter jet, the FA-18. The X-29 was also available.

2.) It was possible to construct new models for planes, and maybe missiles. A Usenet post (https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.sgi.misc/c/DKVVMEgO-0g/m/X4vjteZBMBYJ) stated:

You can build your own craft. There is floating round klein bottles, shuttles etc. I have also shot radar guided 727's from the wings of my FA18 (looks a little strange.)"

This could explain the spacecraft (which the original Stack Exchange poster thinks MAY have been a Klingon spaceship, btw.)

In addition, the readme to version 1.2 stated:

The "Preview" mode is designed so that you can see the models we have already entered. We expect you to add your own models over time. For instance one of the DSGG engineers is working on a BATWING. You can do this because we have exposed the "aircraftcap" file. Please read that file for all information on how to enter your own planes.

(I suspect that even if the Batwing was added as a plane, they'd have had to remove it for copyright reasons. Especially after version 1.5 became a commercial product.)

3.) One section of terrain (at least in version 1.2) was a canyon. And not just any canyon, but the Grand Canyon. This scenery was stored in a file called aviator_gcanyon.dump (which in turn was stored in a .Z archive.)

(Incidentally, I have no idea if that .dump format had been used elsewhere by any other 3D modelling software, or if it was a format only used by Aviator. Does anyone know?)

Part of the reason I'm asking this site is that some of the users were reminiscing about it in the "Anybody here actually collect Unix stuff" thread:

and this is the first time as far as I know that anyone's even mentioned it since the days of the Usenet! In fact, one user even uploaded the 1.2 freeware version, and the free demo of 1.5.1, to http://bitsavers.org/bits/Sun/aviator (thanks Al Kossow!)

For anyone not familiar with the game - I posted a similar request to Reddit, and this included a description of the game and its origins, based on everything I'd been able to glean from here, the Usenet and elsewhere. You can read it at:

and it includes links to several Usenet discussion threads archived on Google Groups.

One person has actually replied to say that they've had some partial success with Sun OS 4.1.4 and their SPARCstation 20, and that they're trying to get the 1.2 terrain data imported into 1.5.1 (the version they've got running) and to deal with some console errors. I've decided to post my appeal here anyway in case they don't succeed in this, or in case anyone here has access to resources (like models they themselves constructed for the game) that the Reddit user might not.

So:
Could anyone here who has access to Sun GX hardware please see if they can get Aviator running on it, and if they can, please post some screenshots and maybe even an in-game video? Especially welcome would be any depictions of the FA-18 in the canyon - doubly so if it's flying "nap of the earth" style (i.e. fairly near the ground.) and doing a relatively slow flight. And this *is* possible for fighter jets - see https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...e-fighter-jets-so-loud-when-doing-slow-flight and

Cheers,

Astrid.

Incidentally, the reason I've posted this in "Unix/Xenix/Linux Workstations" instead of "Vintage Gaming" is that the discussion I mention and link to was in another thread in "Unix/Xenix/Linux Workstations". So I'm basically just trying to be consistent.

Though I should also note that the only hardware Aviator ran on was a Sun Unix workstation. So I think this is pretty much on-topic.

I have a fully set-up SPARCstation 5 on which this should work (hardware-wise). However, while it can run SunOS 4.1.4, it's running Solaris 2.6 now. I can give it a try, but given the changes they made in Solaris, it will probably not work.

Thanks - but from the Reddit poster's experience, it definitely won't work in that:

But it won't run. It's looking for /dev/win0, which is part of the SunView graphical environment, which isn't present in Solaris 2.6. :(

I had Aviator working on my machine last year but unfortunately the HDD died. I replaced it with a Zuluscsi which works fine with Netbsd and Solaris but I'm having trouble getting it to work with Sunos and Openstep. I will keep trying to get Sunos working on it but it may take a while.

However reading that story in stackexchange I don't think Aviator is what they saw, at least it doesn't match anything I saw in the game. It could have been the game ACM which was a networked flight sim that ran on several Unix systems. You can find it here https://ftp.metu.edu.tr/pub/mirrors/ftp.x.org/R5contrib/

I've got a few Sparcstations kicking around, I'll try to get this running whenever I have the chance.

I always installed NetBSD on them and can never get OpenGL running on them for whatever reason, so it would be cool to see a 3D demo running on a Sparcstation :)

But it won't run. It's looking for /dev/win0, which is part of the SunView graphical environment, which isn't present in Solaris 2.6. :(
I'm not sure if that would be much of a problem. SunView was still available in older versions of Solaris 2.x (I know for sure, since I tested pretty much every version to find the best fit for my SS5). It should run in 2.6 as well when copying the files over. Or maybe it's even enough to fake /dev/win0 by some symbolic link.

I see a bigger problem in the frame buffer card. My SS5 has the TurboGX, which by the name should be a "GX" card, but who knows if it is backwards compatible with older GX software.

I'm not sure if that would be much of a problem. SunView was still available in older versions of Solaris 2.x (I know for sure, since I tested pretty much every version to find the best fit for my SS5). It should run in 2.6 as well when copying the files over. Or maybe it's even enough to fake /dev/win0 by some symbolic link.

I see a bigger problem in the frame buffer card. My SS5 has the TurboGX, which by the name should be a "GX" card, but who knows if it is backwards compatible with older GX software.
I looked into it and on the sunhelp faq and it mentions that the TGX cards are compatible with GX.

I had a go at this on my SPARCstation IPC (single width GX Rev 8, i.e. cgsix) and IPX (onboard graphics). I get as far as the config panel, after that, the game unfortunately crashes. It looks like a graphics problem, but who knows. I'm using a copy of the SunOS 4.1.1 installation that came with the IPC, via RaSCSI. But I know very little about it, how it was set up and configured. Maybe I need to do a clean install of 4.1.4.

Attachments

• crash1.jpg
    crash1.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 17
  • crash2.jpg
    crash2.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 18
  • desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 19
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 20
However reading that story in stackexchange I don't think Aviator is what they saw, at least it doesn't match anything I saw in the game. It could have been the game ACM which was a networked flight sim that ran on several Unix systems. You can find it here https://ftp.metu.edu.tr/pub/mirrors/ftp.x.org/R5contrib/

Thanks, but I don't think it was ACM. An old Usenet post said of ACM: "the graphics is VERY simple (no fancy landscape with mountains and valleys to fly around in this one, buy Aviator if you want that :)."

Source: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.simulators/c/zdzy6FuvXVQ/m/GfnQUi454lYJ

Thanks to @xelalex - sorry it didn't work.

Maybe I need to do a clean install of 4.1.4.

It doesn't look like that'll help - someone listed the system requirements for a version of Aviator, and these included:

SunOS version 4.1, 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. (4.1.3 also seems to work)

(Source: An old Usenet thread archived at https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.simulators/c/x3bblgM_Ldo/m/XRobIJOIEWYJ)

So it looks like your 4.1.1 install was the better bet for compatiblity.

Thanks also to Evan - hope you do get it to work - and to everyone else who's posted in this thread so far!

Thanks also to Evan - hope you do get it to work - and to everyone else who's posted in this thread so far!
Although it'll be some time before I get them up and running, I don't have access to my Sun machines at the moment.

I have a variety of machines to test them on though, (SS20, S1+, and an IPC).

So I got aviator 1.5 working on a new drive with sunos 4.1.4 and of course I didn't see anything like the story posted above which should be expected at this point. I think it's clear now that aviator 1.2 is most likely what that person saw. In the process of trying to get 1.2 to work I came across this text tho which presents a bit of a problem.

The subdirectory 1.2.0 contains all files for the version 1.2.0 of
aviator. This is an old version that has no restrictions on its use
but which does not run under the current (4.1.1 or greater)
versions of SunOS. The data files provided with 1.2.0 will not run
with 1.5.1 or vice versa.
Also in the 1.2 readme
Aviator is a flight simulator that runs unter SunOS 4.0 and greater
only on machines with a GX board (3/80, SS1, SS1+,...).
You will need approximately 60MB to hold all data ready for flight.
So it looks like 1.2 will only run on sunos 4.0-4.1 on sun3, sun3x, sun4, and early sun4c machines. Most of those machines are pretty rare these days and the p4 cgsix is basically unobtainium. Early sun4c machines are still somewhat common these days however most of them have been updated to the 2.x prom so can't run sunos 4.1 or below. I spent some time looking on the web for a 1.x prom file but I can't find any, it seems people only save the latest version. So if anyone out there has a ss1, ss1+, ipc, slc with a 1.x prom try installing sunos 4.0.3c and running aviator 1.2.

Could you share some screenshots? I'm interested to see how it looks.

I failed to run it on my SS5, but if it looks somewhat interesting to show to people, I might downgrade the SS5 to 4.1.4.

So it looks like 1.2 will only run on sunos 4.0-4.1 on sun3, sun3x, sun4, and early sun4c machines. Most of those machines are pretty rare these days and the p4 cgsix is basically unobtainium. Early sun4c machines are still somewhat common these days however most of them have been updated to the 2.x prom so can't run sunos 4.1 or below. I spent some time looking on the web for a 1.x prom file but I can't find any, it seems people only save the latest version. So if anyone out there has a ss1, ss1+, ipc, slc with a 1.x prom try installing sunos 4.0.3c and running aviator 1.2.

Since Aviator 1.2 failed on my IPC & IPX, I never tried 1.5. I'll check on that when I get some time. Maybe it works. BTW, both my IPC & IPX have a 2.9 PROM now, but the IPC originally came with a 1.6 PROM, if you're interested.

Since Aviator 1.2 failed on my IPC & IPX, I never tried 1.5. I'll check on that when I get some time. Maybe it works. BTW, both my IPC & IPX have a 2.9 PROM now, but the IPC originally came with a 1.6 PROM, if you're interested.
If you still have the 1.6 prom please upload it somewhere.

@tokenalt Sorry it's taken me a week to log on - but huge thanks for uploading that video - and for getting it to work on your Sun HW as well!

Thanks also for the analysis on what it would take to get v1.2 running.

@xelalex Thanks to you for the screenshots you uploaded - I thought I'd thanked you before but it looks like I hadn't, sorry about that!

If you still have the 1.6 prom please upload it somewhere.
Please do! I'll ask on a few subreddits and the like, and see if I can find anyone who might have a 1.x.

Back