• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The bell tolls.

as someone posted on Soylentnews

"The irony of a legacy method of disseminating DIY solutions collapsing in the face of DIY solutions to information dissemination is sort of obvious"

It is hard to make money when your telling people to do it themselves. The main problem is they lost a number of corporate sponsors.
It was still one of the only places you could find people making quilts to satellites. I worked two booths this year. I watch a blacksmith making a knife from a old bolt, for a couple of hours. It did seem to be over run by 3D printing as usual.
Dwight

Well, that sucks. I'd heard talk earlier this year that this might be the last Bay Area Maker Faire.

Well, that sucks. I'd heard talk earlier this year that this might be the last Bay Area Maker Faire.

It is clearly the last at the SanMeteo fair grounds. Most of the parking lot will be condos. The Santa Clara fairgrounds are bigger but a little longer drive from SF. Still much more parking as well.
The biggest loss is the sponsoring. If they can get a few more companies to help it may continue.
Dwight

Yeah, as nice as it'd be to be able to do everything for free, it *does* take money.

Well, to be fair, the efforts that make magazine and 'maker fair' were highlighting, aren't going anywhere. just this corporate backbone for it.

I'm personally not upset, while they've done many good things, they've also alienated a number of makers as well (specifically their founder, dale dougherty).

Back