• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The CPU type of the Apple High Speed SCSI card a.k.a. Sandwitch II IC 343S1030

george

Experienced Member
Does anybody know what this IC of this SCSI DMA card is? According to the firmware and the schematics on the internet, and the IC's task, and knowing the Apple's taste it could be a CPU, i.e. some 6502 derivative but its pinout puzzles me...Or,most likely it could be a DMA controller. Any ideas or suggestions about that mystery? Not directly related but what do you think the string "Apple_Driver.65xxx" in the firmware is for? Any hint would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,

No idea about the IC. To me, it seems to be a custom chip made for Apple by AMI.

About the Apple_Driver.65xxx, there are actually two seperate strings in the EPROM : "Apple_Driver" and "65xxx". Both end with a null character ($00).
The Apple_Driver seems to be a magic string for the partition. See here for details, search for Apple_driver.

HTH

This IC should be a DMA controller...Either standard or custom designed. Or even could be realized on a PLD. Stynx danke, everybody who is interested knows that circuit diagram, you could have posted a direct link to it like this:

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II%20Documentation%20Project/Interface%20Cards/SCSI%20Controllers/Apple%20II%20High-Speed%20SCSI%20Card/Schematics/

Wondering if there is a supplier that could provide some of these ICs...Probably they were sold in the past...Or wish I could buy several damaged HS SCSI cards for non-destructive reversing.

Last edited:
I think you should ask someone from Reactivemicro.com since there was a lot to come, but didn't. The Reasons for the complete shutdown of the development are not known to me but there was a lot of spark in their work... ReactiveMicro SCSI
-Jonas

I don't think so.
According to the schematic, the IC next to this one actually is the DMA controller : NCR 53C80.

Think better. 5380 is a SCSI controller ;)

Stynx, you seem to have (or had) contacts with them and if you don't know anything, probably they don't have the information too...The photos you are referring to are of their non-high speed scsi card clone which is well known and cloned by now...I am interested in the high speed scsi card now...

Last edited:
Back