• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The good, the bad, and the EXPENSIVE!

leeb

Veteran Member
The 1800 arrived today... and I learned some good things.
1) The 1800 uses standard low-profile 30-pin SIMMS. :D
2) Its ORIGINAL EME-263MG floppy drive is A-OK! :D
3) The case, display and power supply are fine! :)

BUT...

4) The battery had leaked INTO THE UNIT and damaged the
a- floppy drive controller,
b- power/recharge circuits.

The 2024 hard drive is sick, (Edit: Did I say sick? The upper head is DOA. ZERO useability for tracks 0-307!) too... :(

On the bright side?
I was able to learn that the problem with the 1500 IS NOT THE SYSTEM BOARD!!!
The original HD ribbon cable is at fault! I managed to break it.

So what does this mean? I paid a premium for a HD cable replacement. (Tho I am negotiating a possible partial refund...)

But the 1800 has alot of damage... I dont know if I will be able to repair it.

Of course, I would likely NEVER find another ribbon cable of that design, so I suppose it was worth it! :D

Hey, just came across a toshiba T-1600 with 42mb hdd 1 mb ram, but the cmos battery appears to have gone bad, do you know how to get this one solved? IE where the battery is? I don't wanna gut this thing for nothing, but i really do HATE and i mean HATE the black text on white background....

k2x4b524[;bt145 said:
Also, were you able to get the drive kicking with that replacement cable?

I didnt specifically say that, but yes, the 1500 is CURRENTLY completely operable now!

No, the 1800 is also a TANDY... in fact the 1500,1800,2800,28x0 are all the same case design. The 1800 and 28x0 are 286-es just with different 'extras'... external video, such as that..

If the board cant be fixed I'll probably start designing a CP/M machine to fit it...

(evil grin)

I wish I could get the 1800's LCD to work on the 1500 tho... CP/M with VGA seems a bit of a waste. ;)

Back