• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

the heathkit project 1

1ajs

Experienced Member
so i have a h10 h11 h77 and a h89 that my dad bought new back in the day and built and modified i have played with the h89 when i was about 14 ish when it quit working turned out to be a bad memory chip so now its got 64k insted of 128k of ram need to get around to replacing that chip and chip holder as it broke when i pulled the fried chip witch means i need to learn how to sawder properly
heathmem.jpg

anyhow i have been neglecting the h89 ever since. The h10 h11 h77 haven't been powered up in at least 20yrs

where they sat
heathh.jpg

couple months back when i fired it up resulting me coming back to this site
4661567495_41919e542d_b.jpg

felt good knowing it still had some life in it

its new home
4952664705_730eb41afe_b.jpg

course being it sat in a basement closet for so long its covered in lots of dust..

so i started with the h77 unit giving it a cleaning and finding the one drive is loose and the door is not right. got it fixed them remember this drive used to be orphaned on a shelf by its self (probably the original drive out of the h89 as its got a 1.2meg drive 5 1/2" and a 750k 3 1/4" if i remember correctly) as u can see the 2 drives have different boards on them
h77floppies.jpg

i've discovered my dad chopped the power plug off for the 2nd floopy not sure why he did but he did prolly scavenging for parts or something
h77plug.jpg

next i cleaned all the dirt off the h89 and fire it up and its not loading the prompt to load a flopy after some rebooting i hear hear a sizzle after a bit aww wtf? o right DOH! stupid stupid stupid me driling a hole when i was 14 to properly mount the 3 1/4 flopy agggggg!!! (aka when i moved it i stired up soe metal shavings i forgot all about) i think i killed part of my power suply on the h89 smoke poored out of the area market in red when i turned it off and it kept sizzling didn't blow the fuse on it so some something shorted befor the fuse hope its not searous :S proly rebuild it if i have to proly enuf parts around the house to do it
smokezone.jpg

so now to figure out how to get at that area to see how bad the damage is

did i mention how stinky it got

Back