• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Jason Scott Documentary Three Pack on Kickstarter

Viva Amiga, which also funded in 2011, was my first Kickstarter and I have still not received my DVD. Unfortunately, I've had to stop supporting Kickstarter projects. I don't mind delays, but the lack of communication that accompanies many of the delays is unacceptable. I wrote to the Viva Amiga people on multiple occasions because I could not get my stream on Vimeo to work properly and they never responded. In the end, I had to find a copy through alternative means on a project that I backed. Also, my name was not put as a benefactor on the AmigaFilm.com site even though it was part of my pledge level. :(

Heather

Seems like Jason Scott receives no flack about the non-delivery of these projects, and he received over $118,000!

Jason has devoted followers that will donate to what is essentially charity (see https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/textfiles/the-jason-scott-sabbatical being the classic example, and https://www.patreon.com/textfiles is another). For such people, they don't really care about the deliverables, but rather want to support someone who they feel has done well by them, or who is doing work that they want to continue.

Well, what do you know, this came for me today. This was also my first Kickstarter SkydivinGirl! I have not been very happy either with how it was handled. The guy even showed the film at a few different shows and venues before ever allowing us financial supporters to see it.

The posters were just loosely rolled and put in the box with the DVD and a little paper, and they're scrunched and torn now. Ironically, the letter says, "I know it has been a long time coming, we wanted everything to look awesome for you guys." Also, "I've got a new documentary in the works that I think you'll like."

Hmmm, I'll probably pass, I don't think I'll like it.

20180110_162403.jpg

Last edited:
I received mine yesterday as well. Just like yours, my posters were just tossed in the box and have a lot of damage. :(

What really irritated me about the Viva Amiga project was that the guy was doing special showings, showing up at computer shows, talking all about what a great thing it was and most of the backers still hadn't even been able to see it. Now we get our rewards, which have been horribly packaged, and he wants support for his next project. No thanks.

I love all the work Jason Scott does but I think he bit off a bit more than he should have by doing three documentaries at the same time. It seems like he's a super busy guy without documentaries looming over his head. At least it seems like he communicates with the backers when they ask questions, unlike the Viva Amiga people.

Heather

What really irritated me about the Viva Amiga project was that the guy was doing special showings, showing up at computer shows, talking all about what a great thing it was and most of the backers still hadn't even been able to see it.

This has happened to a couple of other kickstarter documentary projects; what happens is that the filmmakers either run out of money, or want to make a profit, so they shop the film around for distribution. If the filmmakers are upfront about this at the very beginning of the kickstarter, then the backers can make an informed decision. When they aren't upfront about this, you get pissed-off backers.

I backed the (excellent!) James Randi documentary and received my digital download almost two years after the film was finished -- I had pirated it off of a BBC channel well before I got my official digital download, which greatly irritated me. The backers were literally the very last people to see the film they had backed. The filmmaker's response was that the digital downloads were DRM-free and they didn't want the movie to be pirated before they had a chance to make a distribution deal, but honestly that's a lame excuse given that they licensed it to a public BBC channel nearly a year before.

In the case of Viva Amiga, I've been told (I'm not sure this is true, please verify independently) that the filmmaker didn't correctly estimate the amount of money needed to finish the project and ran out, so the distribution deals were to get additional money to fund completion and creating the backer-unique items.

Back