• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The LAZARUS drive!

leeb

Veteran Member
(How quickly we forget the so-useful-5lb sledge approach!)

:)YES, folks! I have truly resurrected the zombie from the dead! :)

Once I decided the 2024 was toast, I pulled the top off... and started watching it.

Come to find out the head assy was not moving... AT ALL! Sticking or some such.

I did my patented 'Mickey-Mouse' routine on it, and...

FOR THE MOMENT, ANYWAY....

IT IS ALIVE!!! 8) :mrgreen:

Of course, it may not last long... but for the moment, it has a DOS 6.22 system on it, scandisks COMPLETELY CLEAR, and has booted every time. :D

Once the replacement drive shows up I will attempt to install it and retry the '20mb-no-workee-on-USB' test.

(I hear it breathing over in the corner!) :eek:

Edit:
A bit more detail (for those doing the WTF?)

The drive parks the heads on the innermost track(s) and some sort of 'lock' is supposed to prevent them from moving unexpectedly. I THINK it is magnetic, but I cannot say for sure.
Anyway, I believe that, over the years of slamming into the park position, the 'stop' and/or the actuator arm defomed slightly... enough to make it too difficult for the voice-coil actuator to release it.
What I did (in the interim) was to place an appropriately sized (meaning SUPER-SMALL) piece of electrical tape in the impact surface of the 'stop'.
Longer term- I intend to apply a small amount of silicone/RTV to that surface and, hopefully, it will keep the drive in service for another 20 years... or so!

AT THIS TIME, it is working well, and is not showing any filesystem errors...with a total of 21011.9 (21mb) available. Not too bad for a 20mb drive! :D

It has been sitting here, powered up on battery for about 15 minutes but the battery will soon 'die'... such is an old battery that was completely dead a couple of weeks ago! :cool:

pm me with ur mickey mouse routine, once tha hda has been unstuck, its usually good for a while, i had a full height micropolis that was new old stock that had that happen, and now it works like a charm. i popped the top and, like i said, moved the arm, by the base, not the head, and it brings it to life :)

Back