• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Mac Pro under my desk

NeXT

Veteran Member
There is a 1,1 cheesegrater under my desk that I have not really tried to do much with ever since it died on me.
Back in 2018 I initially added 16gb ram and a pair of 1tb disks into it and a GTX570. Then I put on a whitelist patched copy of El Capitan and did a CPU upgrade by swapping the two dual core chips with a pair of quad core SLAED Clovertowns. This notably sped things up a lot but OS X's power management lost its mind because *it* didn't know what the hell the CPU configuration was and power management basically stopped working and started eating power.
It "died" through what I can only guess was it choking on an update in the middle of the night and getting stuck in a chiming bootloop. Repairable with a reinstall, but there is a catch: Because of the weirdness of the two new CPU's the old patched install stick no longer works and if you try target booting from some other bootable media you can't repair the install because it wants to validate itself on the app store which it can't do because this install doesn't have an install receipt of El Cap in the app store and the app store doesn't list El Cap anymore. Not that I think that matters anyways since the reason for the jank patched install was El Cap natively does not support the 1,1.

So it's just been taking up space.

There is a 1,1 cheesegrater under my desk that I have not really tried to do much with ever since it died on me.
Back in 2018 I initially added 16gb ram and a pair of 1tb disks into it and a GTX570. Then I put on a whitelist patched copy of El Capitan and did a CPU upgrade by swapping the two dual core chips with a pair of quad core SLAED Clovertowns. This notably sped things up a lot but OS X's power management lost its mind because *it* didn't know what the hell the CPU configuration was and power management basically stopped working and started eating power.
It "died" through what I can only guess was it choking on an update in the middle of the night and getting stuck in a chiming bootloop. Repairable with a reinstall, but there is a catch: Because of the weirdness of the two new CPU's the old patched install stick no longer works and if you try target booting from some other bootable media you can't repair the install because it wants to validate itself on the app store which it can't do because this install doesn't have an install receipt of El Cap in the app store and the app store doesn't list El Cap anymore. Not that I think that matters anyways since the reason for the jank patched install was El Cap natively does not support the 1,1.

So it's just been taking up space.
To install El Cap currently, you need to set your clock back to 2018 in the terminal first. The expired certificate issue can be mitigated that way.

After install, you can set it back to current date/time.

I still have that whole issue though of El Cap not being supported on this machine without hacks and the only hack I got won't play nice with the new CPU's. In theory I can put the old chips back in and it will work again but that's a ton of effort.

I still have that whole issue though of El Cap not being supported on this machine without hacks and the only hack I got won't play nice with the new CPU's. In theory I can put the old chips back in and it will work again but that's a ton of effort.
If you have another Mac, you could install El Cap and patch it on the drive before installing the drive on the Mac Pro.

Back