• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The move to the new Xenforo forums is slated to happen Dec. 24 - Dec. 26

Thanks, I found some instructions on that site regarding the OS I'm using and manually installed ISRG Root X1, which seems to be working for me now.

Feel free to Delete my comments here, so they don't mislead anyone.

That cert is good till 2035, so you should be ok for some time. Might be a good idea to post a link to the instructions you followed here so that others who stumble onto this can do the same.

I'm using Windows 7 and there's no certificate issues. Firefox is fine, while IE11 causes the forum to issue a warning

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.

but it works perfectly well.

I'm using Windows 7 and there's no certificate issues. Firefox is fine, while IE11 causes the forum to issue a warning

but it works perfectly well.

IIRC Firefox uses and maintains its own certificate store, independent of the OS it is running on. IE/Edge/Chrome/Safari all use the system store for Root CAs. I believe Google is talking about changing this in future releases of Chrome.

That cert is good till 2035, so you should be ok for some time. Might be a good idea to post a link to the instructions you followed here so that others who stumble onto this can do the same.
These were the instructions I followed, I'm using El Capitan, which is what that Thread is called, though it would probably work for earlier versions of OS X.

" For older macOS, try:

• downloading https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.der 13
  • Open the Keychain Access app and dragging that file into the System folder of that app.
  • then find the ISRG Root X1 certificate in System and double click on it, open the Trust menu and change "Use System Defaults" to "Always Trust", then close that and enter your password to confirm the change (if prompted)."

and link to the original post:
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-certificates/164178

I just got back from a two week cruise and was surprised to see the new software. My site used VB for years until the switch to VB5 which about almost made me want to give up. I found XenFore early and never looked back. You picked right. The learning curve is doable but you need to take it a step at a time. This IMHO is the best software to run a board for a small operator. I do feel your growing pains be there.

Thank you for the update, the future is now.

framer

The red dot indicates you have notifications.
If its your bookmark icon I think it's pulling the icon from your tab icon, which itself updates if you have notifications. I was going to complain about this the other day when the icon changed and the red dot went away. I have no idea how the force the browser to reload the icon.

Why is the old forum still getting new posts daily if its read only? Myself and apparently a bunch of other users are still able to post to it. How and why they are oblivious after all this time is strange?

You'd think if it was indeed "read only" they would get a pop up or an error and be told to go here. So this does seem odd. Are these new folk? Can't believe someone that used the old forums would not know to come here now.

Go check it out. Some are long time members (but infrequent posters) So still, they should know.. No one is there. They arent getting replies. I think it could all be fixed if it ACTUALLY became READ ONLY. Since it doesnt seem to be at all for some odd reason.

I did check some time ago and did find I could post. Before that when they first shut it down it did seem to be "read only". I likely did not try to post something then though so I may be wrong. I believe you that people are posting there. Not sure what can be done about it unless you can somehow popup some page when they try to post telling them to come here instead.

One of the traps I've noticed is if Google is used to bring up the Forum, the old site comes up as the primary site.

I imagine that Erik is still in charge of the old site and he hasn't had the time to take it down?

One of the traps I've noticed is if Google is used to bring up the Forum, the old site comes up as the primary site.

I imagine that Erik is still in charge of the old site and he hasn't had the time to take it down?
Yeah that is definitely a thing that is happening...

As far as I know they have no plans on taking it down.. Its supposed to be left as read only... for the forseable future.

Link from https://vcfed.org/wp/ takes you to the old forum and a link back doesn't seem obvious.

When your in the forum you seem to get stuck in the forum, surely traffic to the VCFED website is desirable too ?

No. It's part of why we moved away from that software. It just does not work like you'd expect. Still working on it though.
What about the vcfed.org web site itself?

Why not just put an HTTP redirect on the web sever for anything in https://www.vcfed.org/forum/ to redirect here? Yes, I know that will bork search engine links for a while.

And yes, the "Forum" menu on the vcfed.org main site needs updating.

The "you are a moderated user" banner takes up two inches of my window, is there any way you can make an option to hide that? (I have no real desire to get my post count up and make the banner go away. Happy being a lurker, mostly)

Back