• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The New Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
When will the "Welcome Back" splash go away? I've been back and back and back and yet I'm still seeing:

It was scheduled to vanish next week, but I've taken it down early since it seems to have fulfilled its purpose.

Am I late to keep discussing issues/potential changes for the forums? Hopefully not.

I do like the new Styles button at the bottom of the page. Would be nice if a style with the color scheme of the old forums was added. Also an option to remove the social media buttons without having to use uBlock lol.

About the SSL thing, not a deal-breaker for me but I do understand why some users find that frustrating. Optional HTTP would be nice.

By far my biggest gripe is still the broken JS-based login. Not really going to go into detail about that as I'm sure you guys (the mods) are fully aware of the situation by this point. If I can login without JS I could easily get past the other issues related to the new forums, which I hope will be fixed with some time.

Shame we had to see some longtime users banned from the forums. I can understand being frustrated as I definitely was, but I'm sure many of the issues will be fixed. I still love this site as there aren't very many vintage computer hangouts on the 'net. Plus the new forums are NOTHING compared to how Google has effectively destroyed YouTube over the years.

On an unrelated note, the other day I broke my laptop screen in a fit of rage LMAO. No I wasn't gaming and has nothing to do with the new forums, but would be nice if I could login on my desktop as opposed to having to plug in an external monitor to my laptop.

Oh wait, I will have to do that anyway as I use my laptop for a lot of other things... but you get my point.

The server change and software upgrade was necessary. vBulletin 4.x has bugs and security problems that will never be fixed.

I'm pretty sure Blu-ray.com is still on vBulletin 3.x. My brother uses that site a lot and he told me they were brought down by a hacker attack a few days ago.

I'm happy that the social media things were removed, as I could not think of even one possible use for them. I have no issue with the Like button.

As for the rest of the forum, firstly HTTPS and the latest cyphers are here to stay. Also, the javascript is part of the forum software, so that won't be going anywhere either. You need the latest versions of current browsers, and at least Windows 7. If you really want an unprotected old-skool forum, you're quite free to make your own.

I don't know about the Inbox issues, as I have no items.

Things that I know are still problems (the last time I looked)
- Loss of avatars
- Cannot choose an avatar from the server library
- The little lights above the join date - what are they for? Do they work? I notice TH2002 has 2 bars lit up, but nobody else does.
- Reports of multiquote not working (haven't tried it myself)
- Reports of text disappearing when editing (haven't encountered it myself).
- Wrong copyright date at the bottom of the page (© 2002-2019 Vintage Computer Federation)
- Probably a few other things that I can't recall right now (my memory isn't the best).

Keep up the good work admins.

I'm happy that the social media things were removed, as I could not think of even one possible use for them. I have no issue with the Like button.

As for the rest of the forum, firstly HTTPS and the latest cyphers are here to stay. Also, the javascript is part of the forum software, so that won't be going anywhere either. You need the latest versions of current browsers, and at least Windows 7. If you really want an unprotected old-skool forum, you're quite free to make your own.

I don't know about the Inbox issues, as I have no items.

Things that I know are still problems (the last time I looked)
- Loss of avatars
- Cannot choose an avatar from the server library
- The little lights above the join date - what are they for? Do they work? I notice TH2002 has 2 bars lit up, but nobody else does.
- Reports of multiquote not working (haven't tried it myself)
- Reports of text disappearing when editing (haven't encountered it myself).
- Wrong copyright date at the bottom of the page (© 2002-2019 Vintage Computer Federation)
- Probably a few other things that I can't recall right now (my memory isn't the best).

Keep up the good work admins.

VERAULT has those bars lit up as well. Not sure what they are for. Maybe based on the number of likes your posts have received? Probably part of the forum software.

I don't care about the HTTPS. Like I said not a deal breaker for me. And yes I know the JS login is part of the forum software but that shouldn't be stopping the mods from creating a separate login page that isn't JS-based.

I don't care about the HTTPS. Like I said not a deal breaker for me. And yes I know the JS login is part of the forum software but that shouldn't be stopping the mods from creating a separate login page that isn't JS-based.

IF the mods are capable of doing it. We don't know how adept they are at hacking this software vs hitting checkboxes and downloading plugins from the VB folks. (Mind, I'm not suggesting that they even should be adept -- it's supposed to be a turnkey solution.)

Whats a shame is that over at retrocomputingforum.com, they use Discourse for their software. I'm not suggesting that this site can port to it.

However, if you ever visit that site, it's very JS powered, with widgets and quoting and scrolling and all that stuff.

However, it's works just fine with no JS at all. It degrades artfully, and is completely useable in something like Lynx.

Shame that this software doesn't seem to be as capable.

There should now be a drop list at the bottom of the page from which you can select different styles. Over time we'll be adding to those if people express interest

Ah great! This is better for my eyes, thanks!

Must say, I think I like the new forum... It is just like shoes, at first a bit annoying, and later you don't want to go back :bigups:

Untitled.png
VERAULT has those bars lit up as well. Not sure what they are for. Maybe based on the number of likes your posts have received? Probably part of the forum software.

Yeah I noticed those bars as well. Mine were all white at first. I really do wonder what those are.

But much more importantly why are my posts this morning showing up in a different color as "UNAPPROVED" ??????!? Are you kidding me?!

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Last edited:
There should now be a drop list at the bottom of the page from which you can select different styles. Over time we'll be adding to those if people express interest.
I expected the "Old School" theme to look similar to the previous color scheme here. Instead it nearly made my eyes bleed!

Someone at vBulletin didn't get the memo that text readability is paramount on a message board.

Well going to my last post. I would assume the bars mean ive been put on someones naughty list and now my access is being moderated. But Why? I didn't do anything....

Another nail in the JS login window coffin... LastPass is unable to automatically recognize the fields, so you have to manually trigger the autofill in order to make it work.

VERAULT, I think the little "light bar" is the forum designer's attempt at gamification. It's some kind of "fame" thing that you appear to get when your posts get "likes".

Here's a new favicon you guys might want to use:
tiny-dumpster-fire.png
:D :D :D

g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back