• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The New Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or else what? You going to extradite me to Brussels to stand trial?

No, but they're obliged to meet EU regulations, in this case HTTPS. I've seen a similar discussion many times on scale modeling forums. Some members consider censoring swastika emblems to be foolish & destructive to free speech. One tries to explain that many EU countries have banned the use of the symbol to the point where scale models sold in those countries are not allowed to have swastikas on the decal sheet. Manufacturers & websites/forums that have a European presence are liable for EU regulations, even if the site is hosted in (say) the US. Hence they have to be concerned with meeting EU requirements, or face fines/prosecution.

I believe the operative phrase here is "participate respectfully." One may vehemently disagree yet still be respectful.

The new forum to me is just like the old forum, a fantastic place to get help and share information on topics of common interest.

For its price (free) does not seem a lot to ask, for me to learn something new.

Thank you everyone for all your hard work.

Overall the look & feel is much improved. As stated earlier the Grunge theme is acceptable. I like the "like" button in that many times I like or agree with a post, but saying just "agreed" or a thumbs up emoji reply post seems excessive. Hence "like."

Two suggestions: in the config area, instead of just tweaking colors, allow selection of fonts (I find the serif Georgia easy on the eyes) and font size. Bonus: background color/pattern.

Also, in the Message area allow a standard webmail interface, including various "sort by" choices defaulting to newest first, and clicking on the header pulls up the message, with a REPLY button or icon available. Basically the Gmail look & feel. I personally prefer a local email client but those seem quite rare today.

Overall the look & feel is much improved. As stated earlier the Grunge theme is acceptable. I like the "like" button in that many times I like or agree with a post, but saying just "agreed" or a thumbs up emoji reply post seems excessive. Hence "like.".

What seems excessive is like buttons, subscribing, and anything other than direct communication. Sorry but I couldn't disagree any harder. There is a place for like buttons and people who use them... and its not on this forum.

What seems excessive is like buttons, subscribing, and anything other than direct communication. Sorry but I couldn't disagree any harder. There is a place for like buttons and people who use them... and its not on this forum.

I see your "bar" has advanced 2 brownie points. What's up with that? You must be doing something right. :rolleyes:

Now there are View buttons on the Subscriptions List which take you to the last page of the thread. Thanks for the improvement, but it would've been nice if it had a more obvious name relating to their function.

As far as "new posts' go, I'm pretty much determined that I'll look at the first page of the "new topics" display and assume subsequent pages are old. It's about what I did on the old forum.

• On the same page there's a Media tab. On there I have a link "Posted Photos" and an image I uploaded a long time ago. They both link to the same page that says "No photos found." So clearly the images (and hopefully other files) I've attached to posts over the years are still there - they just can't be found by the forum software.

Scratch this. I just discovered the "Filter" button that is by default set to only display photos from the last month.

Now there are View buttons on the Subscriptions List which take you to the last page of the thread. Thanks for the improvement, but it would've been nice if it had a more obvious name relating to their function.

I agree with this, but I would also prefer it if the last page of a thread was immediately accessible from the top of a thread rather than the bottom. It's kind of annoying to have to scroll down to get that (which is less work than highlighting the text box at the top and inputting the number of the page you want with the num pad).

Not sure if others agree or not. I'd be interested to hear why other's actually like the text box at the top.

No, but we can blame you for being an ass about it. Start a support thread about it, and the mods will see what we can do to get your issue resolved.

Oh, classy. I get called an ass because I drop a little snark about a legitimate issue. At this point, I'm fairly certain I know what kind of individuals are in charge here. Peace.

I guess someone pressed the wrong button. I've retrieved my avatar from my hard drive, again.

Earlier the site was unreachable, appeared to be directed to another server or something equally odd.

It's been two weeks. This is getting really goddamn annoying that things are getting fixed and then other things break from one day to the next. Hell, the whole site went down last night and was throwing certificate errors. Why? Who knows. I can understand instability for the first few days after an update but this far in at least TELL us what is going on instead of hollow "thanks for the feedback we are making some minor tweaks and it will be fixed shortly ;^)" trash.
Did you opt into the beta development channel? This blows. I'm not reuploading an avatar that might just vanish again overnight and post like a madman to reset the activity bar when there's already nearly 15 years worth of posts to my name, to which why the hell does that even exist if the post count is RIGHT THERE.

Yeah just had to put my avatar image into my profile. The strange thing was my avatar image was already there after the change to the forum.. Until this morning anyway.

And I now have 4 yellow bars... For some reason. Will they turn orange soon? I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back