• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The New Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an initial shock when the 'upgrade' happened - but I am learning to get by. The idea about putting your location into your signature solved one major problem - so that ought to be a sticky for new (and old) members to adopt.

I still haven't quite got the hang of PMs yet - but I now get them and can send them and it does seem to work since it was 'fettled' last (by Alex I think).

The only thing I am missing now is an easy way in a morning to identify all of the posts down to the last post I made the previous day. If anyone has an idea about how to solve this issue I will be happy :). I just want a list of posts in date/time order. A simple request.

Dave

it makes rather more sense to try and fix what we have, or perhaps learn to live with it.
First part: fully agree! But it just does not happen. No one wants to be responsible or cares about it.

Second part: No! You don't just learn to live with bugs and non-working stuff. If you go that route, devs won't give a shit about code quality any longer, because they know people will accept whatever shit they give them.

First part: fully agree! But it just does not happen. No one wants to be responsible or cares about it.

Second part: No! You don't just learn to live with bugs and non-working stuff. If you go that route, devs won't give a shit about code quality any longer, because they know people will accept whatever shit they give them.

Yeah I am in agreement. There is no reason at all for people to have to learn to live with mediocrity (or worse). Fix it. Its in everyones' favor to find a solution.

And I have to say that the biggest concern that I have isn't so much that stuff doesn't seem to work as it should, but that some of the responses to users have been rather less than forthcoming or helpful.

Just to make sure it's clear, most of the mods had this change sprung on them in the same the the other members did as well. And there appears to be literally two people actually working on the back end of this forum. The mods are just as frustrated with this situation as everyone else, and in most cases are just as powerless to do anything about it.

And I will freely admit, in public, at the risk of loosing my mod status, that this upgrade was planned very badly and the lack of communication has been astonishingly bad, even to the mods. I am, by training, a project manager, and if I handled a major project like this one has been handled, I would have been fired on the spot. Things have been slowly improving, but at this point I would emphasize what mbbrutman has been saying, please take major complaints to the governing board of VCF and open separate threads for the issues that you find so we can at least try to advocate for the repairs/fixes on our end.

And all of that said, please keep in mind that the people running this forum and the VCFED organization are all volunteers. No one is getting paid for doing any of this.

Last edited:
Just to make sure it's clear, most of the mods had this change sprung on them in the same the the other members did as well. And there appears to be literally two people actually working on the back end of this forum. The mods are just as frustrated with this situation as everyone else, and in most cases are just as powerless to do anything about it.

And I will freely admit, in public, at the risk of loosing my mod status, that this upgrade was planned very badly and the lack of communication has been astonishingly bad, even to the mods. I am, by training, a project manager, and if I handled a major project like this one has been handled, I would have been fired on the spot. Things have been slowly improving, but at this point I would emphasize what mbbrutman has been saying, please take major complaints to the governing board of VCF and open separate threads for the issues that you find so we can at least try to advocate for the repairs/fixes on our end.

And all of that said, please keep in mind that the people running this forum and the VCFED organization are all volunteers. No one is getting paid for doing any of this.

I appreciate the response, and I know from personal experience that in many instances, mods have very little, or often no, control over the functionality of a resource such as this, and are left almost as helpless as users are. But at the end of the day I also know that the users of a place like this are what it is for. We (not intending to mean me) are the life-blood and purpose, and as frustrating as it is for staff to be out on a limb trying to field questions and criticisms, and at the same time being expected to have some control over the outcome, we deserve every bit the same understanding, respect and courtesy as you guys do.

I too would have been fired from my day job if I had been responsible for a mess such as this. Not so much the visually discordant and minor functionality issues, which most of us are going to find troubling until they become more familiar, but many of the underlying issues which it is hard to know are even being examined, let alone fixed.

It's understandable in this situation that tempers get somewhat frayed and the expected standards of behavior can slip. But it works both ways, and part of the responsibility of staff in this situation is understanding that volunteering to be on the firing line means knowing the importance of having a thick skin.

For the most part, I believe, staff and users here are on the same side, but if it doesn't seem that way to us as users, we likely don't have all that much confidence that you'll be advocating for the repairs and fixes on our behalf, or along side us. The last thing we should all want is to fragment the expertise and knowledge of many of the members here over a multitude of alternative resources simply because this one has become unreliable, uncooperative or unfriendly.

I would like to thank everyone for all there efforts keeping this board going. Having dealt with running my own vBulletin® board for years I know the issues you get to deal with. Things have change so much in the last 5 years fighting off attacks from the darker side of the internet that I know you were forced to update the software. I will say I'm no longer using VB early v5 did me in and I switched to different software. You also were still running v 3.x before you upgraded? If you were, wow... I would have not wanted to do that.

I personally am liking what I've been using here and have not had issues. Again a big thanks for keeping this great resource online and free of spammers.

framer

I am closing this thread, please see my post in the announcements forum for more information on why.

Apparently the announcement I put up is not visible by everyone. I am working getting this fixed. So stay tuned for now.

Ok, we managed to fix the issues with the announcements forum. So please go over there to see some important updates, including the one I reference here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back