• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The rare Lexmark model "M" non-clicking keyboard?

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

I have recently come into possesion of an IBM PS/2 keyboard called model "M". These are on eBay all the time, in fact, there are several on there right now. They always seem to be advertised as having a key click like the the original IBM PC or PC AT keyboard does. But this one doesn't click. Does anybody know if it is a fluke? I got this with an AT adaptor and I'd like to buy another model "M" keyboard so that I will have one that clicks. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Sean
--
IBM PC
IBM 3270 PC
Macintosh Classic running system 6

The Lexmark ones were the late model ones and a few of those had the rubber dome switches instead of the buckling spring "clicky" system. Shoot for one of the purely IBM ones to be sure of getting the infamous buckling spring key switches. The company that took over the manufacture of the Model M style keyboards is still making them to this very day, but they aren't cheap.

-Vlad

The Lexmark ones were the late model ones and a few of those had the rubber dome switches instead of the buckling spring "clicky" system. Shoot for one of the purely IBM ones to be sure of getting the infamous buckling spring key switches. The company that took over the manufacture of the Model M style keyboards is still making them to this very day, but they aren't cheap.

-Vlad

The rubber dome ones you speak of are actually Model M-II keyboards, which are really just reincarnated versions of the PS/1 and PS/Valuepoint series keyboards (those keyboards essentially had a Model "M" like outer frame attached to them and were sold mostly with IBM EduQuest boxes I reckon). I used to see a ton of the Lexmark branded Dome Model M II's back in Jr. High.

The PS/1 and PS/Valuepoint keyboards have a similar internal structure and assembly to the Model M II, but have a different frame they attach too that makes them appear more like a common modern day $9 Wal-Mart special (allbeit very good ones, they're some of the very few Dome keyboards I like).

It's usually best to check the part number. There was a variant in the Lexmark era that looks identical to the typical 101/2 buckling spring "Model M"s, but has rubber domes instead of springs. The common part number for these is 71G464x [71G4644 US 101, 71G4643 UK 102]. There may be other part numbers [note that Unicomp still offers this action] but the quantities of these things are indeed overwhelmed by buckling spring 'boards.

"Safe" buckling spring part numbers include 1390131 [101 US English AT era], 139140x [original PS/2 p/n, 1391401 for US English], 42H1292, 52G9700, 82G2383, 92G7453, 92G7483 [all Lexmark era 101s].

Back