• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The SVD for the Apple II

vbriel

Experienced Member
The SVD (Semi-Virtual Diskdrive) is a creation of Eric Rothfus originally for the TRS-80 computers and later for the H8 is now available for the Apple II. The SVD attaches to your computer and allows disk images commonly used with emulators to be treated as real disks by your Apple II. Because of the Disk II encoding techniques, Eric had to create a dongle device that converts standard disk signals to match Woz's Disk II controller. The advantage to this device is limitless. No need to use floppies anymore once the write function is finished.

I personally have this device along with a CFFA compact flash card installed in my Apple IIplus. With both of these devices in my Apple IIplus, I rarely require diskettes and everything in the computer is solid state. Someday when finding DD 5 1/4" disks is like finding gold, people will be glad there are devices like the SVD to keep using that old software. This is not a 100% replacement for a disk drive because it can't write to half tracks (hackers will understand that one) but it will load a .nib file no problem and play just fine in the SVD. ADT can't even transfer .nib files over, this makes that problem a thing of the past.

http://www.thesvd.com

I mounted my SVD inside the case of a (broken) Disk II drive to give it that vintage feel. The only light I'm currently using is the drive activity light on the front of the drive. I wired this LED into the SVD so that it resembles drive access just like a normal drive. Here is my web page with this project.

http://www.brielcomputers.com/svd.html

I was not paid for this endorsement and I will not receive commission :? , I just feel that when technology is produced to aid in the continued use of vintage hardware, spreading the word is the least I can do.

Vince

Re All Apple

Re All Apple

Hi,
Thanks for the revune of everything and the URL links. I am sure I will have some question that might seem redunent. Just may need to spell them out better to me.
This looks quite interesting. Still have not had time to play with the CFFA card yet.

Take Care,
George

Prett snazzy. One thing I would like to see is something like the cable and software to connect to a PC parallel port and read stuff directly off the hard drive like the C64 has.

Back