• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Swiss army knife

Dwight Elvey

Veteran Member
I just got this note from Jameco.

Digilent-Analog-Discovery-2

It looks like it is what we all want. Check it out. It looks to good to be true. Of course you'd need a few extra things like an input attenuator, some BNC connectors and some probe. Also, some connectors for logic probes.
I wonder how big the display buffer is. That is the main problem with most of these digital scopes is they only have one screens worth of captures data. One can't zoom into the captured data because the capture buffer is only big enough to cover the current screen pixels.
One also wonders how many things it can do at once and who's processor is it using?
Dwight

This looks like a nifty instrument. Here is a 10 minute video that answer your questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nFFJT1oV34

To me a downer is the scope analog bandwidth of about 10 MHz.
-dave_m

It has some amount of adjustable frame buffer. That is way better than the rest of the small digital scopes. With all those features it looks like a winner to me.
It would clearly be useful for most of the debugging we have done together with PET computers. I'll admit, I may actually buy one. The network analyzer is clearly something that many could use to look at capacitor, even in circuit.
Dwight

It would clearly be useful for most of the debugging we have done together with PET computers.
Yes, I agree, for old 1 or 2 MHz computers it would be useful and probably the 4.77 MHz IBM PC.

The network analyzer is clearly something that many could use to look at capacitor, even in circuit.
Dwight

This sounds useful. How would one check the proper operation of a capacitor in a linear power supply? Would you look for 60 Hz content, etc?
-dave_m

It really depends on the shunt resistance. If you are using a .25 volt signal, you can measure quite a bit about a capacitor. Most digital components draw nothing at 1/4. You can still determine ESR and capacitance with such a low voltage. Still, looking at ripple is all I've ever done. I usually know the load current and the rated capacitance. I don't use anything fancy to look at that, like a network analyzer.
Dwight

Dwight,
I broke down and bought the gadget. It works really nice. The software is going to take a little time to learn well. My Tektronix 453 scope is very upset with me...
-Dave

Back