• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The top 10 games from the first 10 years of the IBM PC

ajrossnz

Hi folks,

I've been putting together a bunch of videos (almost every week), that documents the highlights of every year of the first decade of PC games. I review each of the games briefly (in approx 1 minute per game). I choose my 'top 10' after downloading all of the games I can find of each of the years:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLop3s1hMlSJJ9BJDCEBYsMr-nxs8yZKZG

As you can imagine, as the years go by, the quality of the games takes a real up-turn. From 1986 onwards, there is a marked improvement - ports get less: more original titles/PC first, those which are ports are better quality. EGA graphics, digitised sound, and of course, far more titles (which makes it really hard to shortlist only 10 games!).

I hope you enjoy these videos. If you like my stuff please consider subscribing & sharing with others!

Cheers,
Alistair

Thank you for this! I know what I'm going to be watching for the next little bit. I don't know much at all about early PC gaming, so this should prove quite informative as well as entertaining!

Hi folks,

I've been putting together a bunch of videos (almost every week), that documents the highlights of every year of the first decade of PC games. I review each of the games briefly (in approx 1 minute per game). I choose my 'top 10' after downloading all of the games I can find of each of the years:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLop3s1hMlSJJ9BJDCEBYsMr-nxs8yZKZG

As you can imagine, as the years go by, the quality of the games takes a real up-turn. From 1986 onwards, there is a marked improvement - ports get less: more original titles/PC first, those which are ports are better quality. EGA graphics, digitised sound, and of course, far more titles (which makes it really hard to shortlist only 10 games!).

I hope you enjoy these videos. If you like my stuff please consider subscribing & sharing with others!

Cheers,
Alistair

In the office environment back then, no secretary or analyst would be caught daydreaming without 'Solitaire' or 'Tetris' running in the background. Some even had that neat little 'Lotus 1-2-3' page TSR that could conveniently flip on at a moments notice.

Great video series, thanks! I just watched the 1984 part to see where Pitstop 2, my all-time favourite early PC game, has ended up. :)

BTW, Tapper and Pitstop 2 have wrong colors in your video. You should change your DOSBox config settings to

machine=cga

and then those CGA games that do not use the standard CGA palette will have their correct colors (green grass and blue sky).

I'd vote for the RO software port of Daniel Lawrence's "DND". I wasted hours playing that, lol.

I've reverse engineered most of it (and the original RSTS version and the later Unix port). One of these days I'll reimplement it in a more modern language and make it easier to improve. One of these days. Yeah. (Projects, projects, and more projects.)

A lot of the early Infocom stuff, too.

Back