• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thinking of writing an app, need suggestions/input or is it even needed

brad162

Experienced Member
disclamer: my thoughts right now are all over the place since i just worked eight hours after having classes this morning, so please forgive me if they do not exactly make sense.

so, i have yet to find an app that can do this in Snow Leopard and beyond at least for a reasonable price (or has been updated recently), so since i'm just starting to mess with Objective C, this may be a perfect thing for me to attempt making with XCode.

I have a bunch of old Mac's but it's a pain having to boot to a Leopard partition just to write CD's and Floppies for them, so i am wanting to make an app that will be able to read/write CD's and Disk Images for older macs (and even have proper Fat32 support since Disk Utility seems to fudge that up on my drives)

What i am trying to create is essentially a bridge so Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion will be able to properly interact with HFS drives/images so it wont be necessary to boot Leopard or an emulator to make images that can be burnt.

If there is already another app, then by all means let me know lol but i have yet to find one that does exactly what i want to do.

Also, if i do proceed in building this, since i'm new at programming i would like to be able to post whatever i come up with and maybe have someone pick my code apart or even test the app so i can get some feedback.

Any input/suggestions are welcome

disclamer: my thoughts right now are all over the place since i just worked eight hours after having classes this morning, so please forgive me if they do not exactly make sense.

so, i have yet to find an app that can do this in Snow Leopard and beyond at least for a reasonable price (or has been updated recently), so since i'm just starting to mess with Objective C, this may be a perfect thing for me to attempt making with XCode.

I have a bunch of old Mac's but it's a pain having to boot to a Leopard partition just to write CD's and Floppies for them, so i am wanting to make an app that will be able to read/write CD's and Disk Images for older macs (and even have proper Fat32 support since Disk Utility seems to fudge that up on my drives)

What i am trying to create is essentially a bridge so Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion will be able to properly interact with HFS drives/images so it wont be necessary to boot Leopard or an emulator to make images that can be burnt.

If there is already another app, then by all means let me know lol but i have yet to find one that does exactly what i want to do.

Also, if i do proceed in building this, since i'm new at programming i would like to be able to post whatever i come up with and maybe have someone pick my code apart or even test the app so i can get some feedback.

Any input/suggestions are welcome

May already be something that does that. Check out MacFUSE. EDIT: FuseHFS I mean.

Back