• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Three one-third height drives for sale

barryp

Experienced Member
I have two 5¼" drives and one 3½" drive that would fit in the space where one full-height drive used to live. They should fit in a TI PEB but I doubt the stock power supply would be adequate. This is a project that's been on my back burner for so long that I've decided to give it up. $50, shipping included USA only.

Front.jpgRear.jpg

I can't find the brand, but the model# (I think) is GM 3315B
They are serial numbered 501156994 and 501156995

Oops; there is a teeny tiny OKI in a diamond. Yes, they must be Okidatas.

The 3½ is NEC FD5138H

These are 360k drives? I never knew anyone made 1/3 height 360k drives.

What kind of machine did these come out of?

I don't think so. A half-height 5.25" drive is about 1.6" tall. Take the Teac FD505 as a model.

The FD05 (3.5") part is 0.5" high (nominally) and the FD105 (5.25") is about 1" high (or about 1/3 height).

I have in my junk bin a late model 5.25" floppy drive that I'm pretty sure is half of one of those combo drives. (All of the mechanism is about one inch tall, with only the slightly odd faceplate being half height. One of those extra-slim laptop 3.5" drives would perfectly fill it out.

I still have most of a carton of those FD505 drives. My numbers come from actual measurements. The FD105 was Teac's little-publicized slimline 5.25" drive.

I've seen 1/3 height, 360K 5.25in BASF drives too, although that was in Germany, so they may not have made it to the US. I also have a pair of half-height, 360K 3.5in EPSON drives that I picked up over there.

Back