• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ti 99/4

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I just got an email from someone who found their old TI 99/4 (and 4a and monitor) in their attic and were curious about value.

The TI 99/4 is, of course, rarer than the 99/4a but I'm not all to sure how much rarer.

The monitors are pretty rare too, but not so much as the chicklet 99s.

Any thoughts?

I wish I knew. I've been looking for a regular TI-99/4 for some time, but all I've EVER seen are the common TI-994/a, black and tans, and even the Control Data versions of the 4/a's. I know there is one eBay auction right now for a 99/4 monitor that I believe is going for $100, not counting shipping (though there are no bidders at present: http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-ORIGINAL-1...oryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

I know he could get probably get at least around $100 for the 99/4 and probably another $50 for the monitor, assuming each is fully functional. I know I'd pay about that.

TI 99/4 monitor

TI 99/4 monitor

Hello. I was searching around for info on the original monitor that came with the 99/4 and came across this site. I am the guy with the Ebay auction for the monitor. I cannot believe such a rare item did not sell. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be able tolead me to a site or wanted/classified site where this vintage monitor would be appreciated and I could sell it.

A). Mebbe it ain't all that rare, and

B). Just because it doesn't say '4A' on the logo, doesn't mean it wasn't sold after the advent of the 4A, and

3). eBay is probably the best place to offer it, but sometimes it takes a while. Try re-listing (perhaps with a lower starting price).

--T

Hello. I was searching around for info on the original monitor that came with the 99/4 and came across this site. I am the guy with the Ebay auction for the monitor. I cannot believe such a rare item did not sell. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be able tolead me to a site or wanted/classified site where this vintage monitor would be appreciated and I could sell it.

The catch is not with the monitor, but with the system it goes with. The TI-99/4 is rare to find in one's collection and the monitor's value is tied to having the system to match it to. Otherwise, it's just another composite monitor, which puts its value somewhere in the $25 range. You also have to factor in, that even if the monitor was listed at $50, having shipping (necessarily) set at $30 or more, brings the price up to $80 or more, which becomes prohibitive, besides the fact that it can be very risky shipping a monitor, as many of us who have received the things imploded can attest to.

As was already suggested, try again on eBay, which is your best option. If I remember correctly, one of the RED FLAGS on your auction was also your inability to accept Paypal, which collector's such as myself rely on for items above $10 to protect both us and the seller. If you offered that and either started the bidding at $30 or just left the auction open to see what happened, you could no doubt sell it if that were a priority. Certainly I'm bidding on a TI-99/4 right now and if I were lucky enough to win (though doubtful), I would certainly want the matching monitor. Just some thoughts...

Back