• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TIP: Found a ""Dec Linc Eight" for sale

When is a collector wrong or right? I love these things, but even for free I would not know where to put it. Well I would know a place... But I'm not sure if it is worth divorcing :LOL:

This reminds me, does anyone know what happened to Jeff Russ, or his DEC collection?
He had all of the DECtapes from my lab at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, but I
could never get him to read any of them.
Here is a picture I took of him in 2003. He worked at Indiana University
You can see on his shirt that he had a LINC-8

Attachments

• jeff russ.png
    jeff russ.png
    645.5 KB · Views: 14
Right as into wanting to fully restore to functionality? Or wrong in just wanting it? I have no idea what right/wrong means here.

I interpret "right" as "has sufficient resources to make operational" rather than someone who wants to just collect it and put it in a glass case Apple-1 style.

I aspire to be "right" but am hindered at times due to geographic location. Not much matches my interests locally so I import most vintage computing h/w and tools from US/Europe, which is usually very costly, besides also having to factor in an unfavourable exchange rate.
But on the flip side I was and am quite willing to drive 1000 miles locally (with our fuel cost) to pick up an ASR33 and DECwriter II, or ship an H960 or 3420 from interstate when this sort of thing comes up.

Last edited:
I am hindered in not having the cash to support buying all the hardware I would like to have. :)

Some people think right is operational.

Some people think right is operational and on public display.

Some people think right is preserved as-found for hundreds of years.

Some people think right is preserved as-found for hundreds of years on public display.

I greatly miss LCM and their approach.

It seems not even billionaires are perfect at this. I had heard that the IBM 360/40 (one my dad may have worked on servicing) was damaged in shipping from Oz (where it was on public display) to the LCM (where who-knows-what will happen to it now) and subsequently had parts removed and misplaced.

My approach to computer 'stuff' is exactly like my Model T club's approach to our cars. "We drive them, We don't tow them around!" But each to his own. Mike

And there is equipment that we have that we will never get around to getting fixed that we will hopefully pass on to the next generation(s) of this hobby...

Dave

And there is equipment that we have that we will never get around to getting fixed that we will hopefully pass on to the next generation(s) of this hobby...

Dave
A common problem, the more stuff you have, results in less time for each item to get/keep it running... So I don't want to have too much stuff...

Back