• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TM990/189 University Basic rom's

Ed Groenenberg

Experienced Member
Hello Everybody.

Recently I bought a TI TM990/189 SBC and I understand that there are 2 other Rom's (one 4Kb and one 2Kb) which
holds the software for University Basic.
My question is if someone has them and has the ability to program 2 eproms.

Contact me off-list if necessary.

Thanks,

Ed

A few years back I found a "990189.zip" file somewhere online that contains a 2KB "990-469.u32" EPROM image and a 4KB "990-469.u33" image. I don't remember where I found that originally. Looking online now there are copies of it in the MESS ROM archives, for example the file here is identical to the file I originally found.

www.planetemu.net/rom/mess-roms/tm-990-189-university-board-microcomputer-with-university-basic

At the time I bought some TMS9902 Asynchronous Communication Controller chips and SN75188N Quad Line Driver chips to populate the optional serial port on the TM990/189 for use with the University Basic, but don't remember if I ever actually got around to programming some EPROMs and getting everything working. I'll have to dig out the gear and take a look.

Ohh, seems my Google-fu is not so strong anymore. I just could not find those.
I downloaded them, just in case.

My TM990 has the UART on it and is configured for EIA, but the DB25 connector has never been placed on the board.
I have a proper angled one, so I can add it.

First I have to clean it in a bath of IPA, as it is having a thin layer of dust on it. Should come out as if it was new....

Hmm, I was going to see if I could finally get the University BASIC EPROMs running on a TM990/189 until I took a look at the schematic and realized that the U32 EPROM socket is set up for either TMS2708 or TMS2716 EPROMs. Those are triple voltage (+5, +12, -5) EPROMs, and are some of the few types of devices that my device programmer does not support. I suppose I could cut some traces on the PCB and rewire the U32 socket for standard 2716 EPROMs, but I'd rather not modify the PCB.

Some day I should pick up a Data I/O 29B or whatever is the best device programmer for those old triple voltage devices.

A little sidenote / update, I got a set of connectors used for power and made a small PSU using a RT-50b unit and a plastic box I had lying around.
Works fine, total cost about Eur 30.
Next is to solder the angles DB25 connector and hook it up to the Teletype model 33 for extra fun.

Back