• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TomTom XL Clock Setting

Grandcheapskate

Veteran Member
Hi Guys,
I almost never use my TomTom GPS unit but when I did pull it out the other day I found the clock was at 12 AM no matter when it was turned on and I had no way to set the time. It would always return to 12AM even if you reset it. In searching the net, I found a Youtube video which explained that as of April 2019 older TomToms lost the ability to update the time via satillite. Luckily the video had a link to software which was written by a user and it updated the TomTom software to correct the problem.

Editorial comment: Why is his fix not produced by TomTom other than saying "Buy a newer device"?

I actually have two units. I applied the fix to the first unit which is a TomTom Start. This unit had a selection on the menu to set the time. Once I set the time, the time remained correct. So one unit fixed.

Today I applied the fix to a TomTom XL. However, this model does not have a Set Time on its menu so I cannot set the time. The time is being incremented but it is the wrong time, about 40 minutes ahead. It looks like every document on the TomTom site assumes there is a Set Clock option on the menu. It appears I need to download software which is no longer available.

Anyone have a TomTom with this issue and maybe the software to set the time?

Thanks...Joe

I don't think I've ever found a TomTom used that worked right. If it wasn't the maps being scrubbed (and I'm not paying to buy or hack DRM maps for a 10 year old GPS) it was the chronic inability to lock satellites after a power cycle. Absolutely bizarre.
That said, I don't think my Magellan or Garmin units have the ability to change the time until I started dealing with the really, really old handheld units from the early 2000's. The GPS lock would include the time and at best you adjusted the time zone offset.

For some reason, all of a sudden a SET CLOCK option appeared on the menu. I'll swear I checked over and over dozens of times and never saw it before.

Oh well, looks like I have a pair of TomToms which will have old maps but are now functioning. If you have an old TomTom which is locked at 12AM, do a search to find solutions and you should find the YouTube video with the link to the fix.

My sister bought this unit and gave it to me when it got all messed up after trying to do an update. I was able to wipe it clean and get it back, but that was over a decade ago. It also came with "Lifetime Map Updates". Sure. But read the fine print and it's only until they declare the product at "End of Life". Pretty sleazy.

Joe

I bought my first TomTom about 20 years ago. My mother-in-law moved to a tiny place somewhere in the middle of Poland. I checked various brands and this TomTom was the only device that knew this place! It was a big device: it had a 2.5 inch HDD inside. At that time I had to pay for updates. Not cheap, but I can say: worth the money.
Then I could buy a XL25 with these lifetime updates. Much lighter and "free"" after 1.5 years because I didn't have to pay for the updates anymore. Unfortunately it let loose from the window one day and ended with the screen on the gear shifter: smashed screen :( I now own a Go 50.

> until they declare the product at "End of Life". Pretty sleazy.
Do have an idea what a garage will charge you every year if you have a built-in navigation system? My friend has an Audi and they charge him 300 Euro! First: you can update your TomTom every three months. And how long can you do that, five years? I have my Go already four years, I don't complain so far.

I'm still using a Garmin GPS with maps nearly 20 years out of date. If it's something as minor as a highway or road shifting to the left or to the right it knows what is up and odds are entire neighborhoods have not shifted in 20 years so most of the core maps are still accurate and even then when you go out to the sprawling suburbs you might not have the minor streets between formally rural blocks but the major roads are still present.
It took me three years to find a newer GPS from Garmin that had a good battery, good touchscreen, latest firmware and someone had already activated the lifetime sideband traffic updates and it was a $20 find.

Back