• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T1000 boot fail

paul.brett

Experienced Member
I've had a Toshiba for a few years now, and it is a favourite in my collection.

Just recently however, it has started to act up. On switch on, the power LED goes green for about half a second, then the whole thing shuts down again. This is before the FDD is initialised.

The internal battery pack (non-orignal replacement) is holding a good charge and putting out a good 6v.

Any ideas on what to test?

All help appreciated.

Thank-you.

Paul.

Hmm..the same thing happened and in my T1000 but it is with the original battery.Also in mine the composite output works but not the internal LCD (but I see a short "blinking" on the LCD when changing the output to composite).I suspect capacitor(s) failure but I hadn't the time to open it yet.And yes,it is one of my favorite machines too.

Can't blame them really they are just covering their backside's, Just a thought Have you tried to power it up without the battery inserted just using the AC adapter ? I remember a long time ago i had a Tosh that developed a similar fault and found without the battery inserted it would work fine but with battery inserted it would turn off after a few seconds, A new battery never cured the problem either. I just used it without battery until i got rid sometime later.

Looks like Toshiba don't want to help. They appear to be concerned about liability issues with supplying schematics.

Makes no difference nowaday's, Law's have got a lot stricter more so in some country's than other's, It's better to play safe and not dish them out to unqualified persons rather than face possible prosecution because someone has been electrocuted / killed through not knowing what the heck they were doing. It's the same for my local recycling centers, Heck at one time i could basically grab what i wanted for little or no cost, Now all the old computer's / monitors etc are kept under lock and key, The newer computers are refurbished and sold on but the old stuff i'm interested in get's scrapped because they are not allowed to sell it "as is" and it won't get refurbed because it's not worth it to them, It's sad.

Ok,can't blaim them for today's computers, but for a 25-year old computer?:???:

I have a dead toshiba T1100 laptop that I want to get working, I got it for £5 hoping to fix it, I got it to use as a data logger and controller as it takes 9W! and runs dos, I plan to run BASIC code on it, and swap the disk drive for a 720k disk emulator, or hook the disk drive emulator to the external disk drive port, as a regular floppy disk would get worn out with the constant disk accesses! and probably would not like the heat/cold, also the disk accesses would put the power used up, and it will be used off grid so power used is important, from my research there are very no t1100 working but loads of T1100 plus models working (the one with two disk drives) , I am guessing when the battery died and took the PSU with it? and later designs were more robust?
I was shocked when I opened it up, it’s all surface mount CMOS, not TTL in sockets like I was hopping for! and there is a lot of space, it could have been made a lot thiner!

If/when I get it working a need a T1000 laptop modem or RS232 adapter or diagram for an RS232 adapter for it, too hook it up? I have a very old printer to rs232 converter but I think it will be very hard to program it to work with a modem?
and I dont think it has the ram upgrade so 256k could be a bit small, dose anyone have a diagram for the ram upgrade modual? I have loads of small ram chips to build one with.
Any help welcome, but it is probably a long term project.

Last edited:
Original Toshiba T1000 battery

Original Toshiba T1000 battery

I've had a Toshiba for a few years now, and it is a favourite in my collection.

Just recently however, it has started to act up. On switch on, the power LED goes green for about half a second, then the whole thing shuts down again. This is before the FDD is initialised.

The internal battery pack (non-orignal replacement) is holding a good charge and putting out a good 6v.

Any ideas on what to test?

All help appreciated.

Thank-you.

Paul.

Paul,
I have an original Toshiba T1000. The battery is 7.2 V not 6V
Might just be the voltage is too low.
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Rick

Paul,

Did you happen to fix your T1000?

I have/had a repaired T1000 that I put on the shelves for half a year. Now it's also not booting up anymore. Right now the only thing I can come up with is replacing all the caps. :| Such a tedious job. I have a spare motherboard... but... same issue. But it worked for a short while after pulling of the shelve which again... makes me think it's one or more caps.

Grr, I hate it when my 'children' are sick. :)

I have a dead toshiba T1100 laptop ....

The T1000 won't work without a battery connected. But you can connect +-5v to it directly instead of using the battery. Officially the specs according the technical manual say the battery voltage should be between 4.5v and 5.8v. It's 4x C-cell 1.2v nicad originally

Toshiba T1000 uses 4.8 volts, not 7.2!

Toshiba T1000 uses 4.8 volts, not 7.2!

Paul,
Might just be the voltage is too low.
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Rick

No, no, no! The T-1000 runs off of four sub-C NiCad batteries, nominal 1.2 volts each. When fully charged, they're more like 1.25 or so. The operating voltage of the computer is 5 volts even; the power light turns red at 4.8 volts, and the whole thing turns off around 4.7.

I think putting 7.2 on those battery terminals might be a Bad Thing. I have several T-1000s that I've modified to run directly off of 12 volts by using little 5-volt switching regulators wired directly to the old battery connectors; these work just great. The first one I used as an always-on vehicle computer for my RV, since it only draws 1.5 watts - try to find a computer with keyboard and display that will do that now-a-days!
~~
Mark Moulding

Officially the specs according the technical manual say the battery voltage should be between 4.5v and 5.8v. It's 4x C-cell 1.2v nicad originally

No, no, no! The T-1000 runs off of four sub-C NiCad batteries, nominal 1.2 volts each. When fully charged, they're more like 1.25 or so. The operating voltage of the computer is 5 volts even; the power light turns red at 4.8 volts, and the whole thing turns off around 4.7.
I think ryql may have confused one of T1000LE/T1000XE/T1000SE models with the T1000.
For example, according to [here], the T1000XE uses a 7.2V 1.7A battery.

Just got a T1000 with the issue where it turns on but the screen is blank. Noticed the 470uF 10V cap under the floppy drive was leaking a bit on the board. Replaced it and washed the board in the dishwasher. It works now, however it won't start unless I switch it on and off a few times quickly and then it will boot. Otherwise it just shuts itself off. I figure replacing more caps would fix it completely.

Back