• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T1000LE not booting up

I've found a shot SMD voltage regulator. Description below, including the location on the flip side of the mainboard. Make sure yours has the RD imprint on top.
Ordered here:
what matters is the upper RD symbol, the bottom one is LOT number (my was R5, but yours may be different).

The good news is that the laptop started, booted properly from the old hard drive, and worked for about a day. Then it started switching off suddenly. After a few more on/off cycles it would not want to turn on any more. The red DC-IN stays on, not flashing, but it will not power up anyways. More testing and troubleshooting on the way when i find more time.

I can definitely confirm that you do not need a battery to switch it on - it should power up and boot on the power supply/charger alone.

Let me know if you also find this SMD part broken on yours, and of course if you manage to bring your toshiba back to life, even if for a day :)
hi, how did you track down the actual part number knowing only the case markings?
thanks!

Not trying to be a downer, but this issue is why I gave up on Toshiba laptops of this era and recommend against buying them. Replacing the caps almost never fixes them. There's some other issue going on that I've never found.

I really hope you can narrow down the issue though, and I wish you luck. These are really cool machines otherwise.

I just wanted to give more visibility to this message. After trying to repair a toshiba T2000 twice (I bought two units) and also discussing with people repairing T1200 or the likes, I have to confirm that these units are to be avoided for retro enthusiasts.
Something is simply wrong with the power supply, and it's not the caps, I suppose some surface mounted mosfets , or even the power supply controller itself (as there are a plcc "brain" on these psu) simply doesn't cut it after 30 years. Even if you're lucky enough to find a unit that boots, it'll die after less than an hour of use.

They are impossible to repair, at best they behave erratically until they eventually die for no reason. Parts are often surface mounted and unlabeled.
I am giving up on repairing the "T2000 era laptops", and recommend you all do so.

Back