• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trantor T100, IBM Model 25, and hard drive support question

raifield

Experienced Member
So I've been trying for quite some time to get a large amount of storage available to an IBM Model 25 running IBM DOS 5.0. The palmzip software works great with my Parallel zipDrive, giving me a quasi-hard drive of 100MB. However, doing a directory list against the 100MB floppy results in a 15 second pause before it returns, which quickly wears thin. So I've turned to SCSI. I have a Trantor T-100, which is advertised as supporting hard drives, and an external enclosure with a 1GB SCSI drive in it (came with the enclosure). The drive is correctly detected using Trantor's MA100.SYS driver as a Direct Access Device, which I'm not sure is correct.

TFORMAT identifies the drive perfectly, but then states it does not support drives of that capacity and to use DOS's FDISK and FORMAT utilities instead. However, FDISK states no fixed disks are present and FORMAT, as a result, also finds nothing.

Am I using the correct driver for hard drive support? I tried using TSCSI.SYS, but it gave me the error that no SCSIMGR was present. Running the SCSIMGR installation in DOSBox shows that the software doesn't even have the T100 card as an option, so I'm not sure how useful that's going to be.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? The hard drive is fine, the card is fine, it's just an issue with the proper software, then fitting that software on to a 720k floppy.

Well, I am chargrined. TSCSI.SYS complains of no SCSIMGR present. Guess what the very first line of the MA100.SYS is? "SCSIMGR FOR DOS"

I needed to load MA100.SYS first to initialize the card, then TSCSI.SYS to assign the drive in software, which successfully tagged it as drive C: (or D: if palmzip is running).

Now I have an XT class machine with a 1GB hard drive. Was quite simple.

Back