• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

trs-80 IV vs tandy 1000

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
I have both of these computers. The model 4 came out in 83. The 1000 came out in 87, I believe.

I must say, I like the model 4 much better. first of all, Im not sure if its just my machines, but the model 4 has a MUCH clearer looking screen. The letters are sharp and clear. Its a beautiful black screeen with white characters. However, the Tandy 1000 monitor looks like blurry garbage in comparison. Why?
The Model 4 boots up Basic and the 1000 doesnt.
Overall, I like the model 4 much better. Its easy to use and nice and fast. Its also a very nice looking piece of equipment.

those are two different beasts, that's for sure.

the 1000 is an XT class machine, 8088 CPU, AFAIK, sometimes with an HD, sometimes not, based on what model 1000 you have.

my screen display is blurry on my 1000 as well, but i have not tried mono on it, maybe better results.

the model IV has model III BASIC in ROM, so if you don't have a disk OS, at least you can still fiddle with it.

if you need disk images for the 1000, let me know, as i have Deskmate and MSDOS for it.

but the model IV is way cooler :)

chris

Are you running the Tandy 1000 on a TV, or a monitor? I find that on my 1000 with it pluged into a T.V., it lokes like you described it, garbage. On the other hand, with a monitor connected to it, it looks, really nice and clear, i think that the 1000 was made for Tandy's monitors, not T.Vs, while the TRS was probably made for both.

Personally i would like the tandy 1000 better, because you still get the vintage feel, with lots more software, and even more games. As far as the 1000 not running basic, what type of basic are you trying to get it to run? is it the same BASIC the TRS is using. If so it will never run, because the two are not compatible at all. and if you are running the right BASIC for the manchine, the disk is probably damaged, i have a few damaged disks my self. You probably know that the two machines are incompatable, so it is probably a damaged disk.

i agree. I guess i perfer the tandy 1000, bacause i've had more experience on it. I would like to get my hands on a TRS model 1 though, they are cool.

radio shack trs-80 because it looks cooler ( otherwise there is no comparison)

Back