• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

TRS-80 Model 2000 keyboard

dreddnott

Experienced Member
If anybody's got a spare one of these for sale, give me a ring.

I'd also appreciate being hit with a clue stick if anybody knows of another model of keyboard that will plug in and work!

I have a Model 2000 in very good condition, color adapter and monitor, 20MB HDD, ARCNET adapter, boots into DOS 2.11 even, I just lack a compatible keyboard.

I have plenty of parts and goodies at home and at work to trade or give special bargains on, or paypal if you prefer.

there was some talk of some T1k and T2k keyboards being interchangeable, but I aint exactly sure. I dont have any spares unfortunately, and Id suppose eBay is the best place to look (or google groups). Or you can try a post @ the Tandy2000 yahoo group. Come to think of it the T2K and T6K keyboards might be interchangeable, so says one dude in there.
If you want to hack one up, I might be able to help you there. A job though. Sowwy :(

The t2K and t6K keyboards are NOT interchangeable. There is a driver that will allow you to use a t2k keyboard on a 6000, but they don't put out the same data stream, but not vice versa. I may have a spare in a few days. If I remember I'll drop you a note.

it was your buddy who told me about it hoser. Go straiten him out.
Wasn't an extremely helpful suggestion anyway. I'm guessing a spare 6000 kb would be harder to find than a 2000's.

So if Tandy 1000 keyboards are interchangeable, that gives me some hope. I run into Tandy 1000 systems every so often...

eBay hasn't had anything even remotely related to a Model 2000 in a while. Not sure what's going on there. I think my particular combination of parts is a pretty rare and fancy setup.

Absolutely not! T1K keyboards are not interchangable with T2K! T6000 keyboards interchange with TRS-80 Model 16B, but a 6000/16B board does not interchange with a Model 16. The M-16 board is only interchangable with the Model II (confused yet?). (If I get a chance, I'll take a look around and see if I have a T2K board, but I ain't promising anything)...

--T

it's going to be a few weeks at the very least before I'm back in NJ to pick up some of my own crap. I'll bring a T1K keyboard along and take a looksee as to how similar they are. There may be early models that were interchangeable Terry. I'm not swearing to it, I just remember hearing it. There's also the Tandy1000 yahoo group.

...and it would be nice if I didn't get ahead of myself. This is what I meant to post the other day...

maybe it was just a rumor, but I'm betting that internally the 2 are very similar. The 8048? chip is probably programmed differently though, and that presents a problem (unless yer good ;).
If you should run into a T1K kb, I could at the very least provide you with pictures of the internals of a T2K kb. Then take it from there. I personally want to find out how the "code" or what have you can be read out of an 8048/2/9 or their blank from the factory counterparts (8748/9/...). I am not adverse to desoldering the chip from my keyboard though. I've done it, it's not the biggest thing in the world. And I've thought of a scheme to probably alleviate any problems with it working afterwards. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! But a reader or something would be needed at that point duhhhh. Perhaps something simple could be rigged up...
But of course I also don't have my eprom programming project book with me. Not exactly the same thing, but those chips have onboard eprom (the 8748 and 8749 actually).

Back