• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 model 4 floppy drives

bettablue

Veteran Member
I know I’ve asked this previously, but I want to make sure that given the correct floppy ribbon will allow me to upgrade the full height 180K single sided disk drives with a pair of 360K full height double sided disk drives. I am ready to buy a longer floppy cable, and a pair of 360K disk drives.

From what I’ve been told, I shouldn’t have any trouble, but as I just stated, I want to make sure I’m not just spinning wheels.

So, is there anything I need to know before I open the computer to install the twin 360K drives.

I’ll will be installing a memory expansion to give the computer a total of 128K. I am seriously worried about doing these upgrades, with as little confusion as possible.

Thanks again my friends. I look forward to hear some all of you.

Chiao

Thomas

Thomas,
Yes, the 360K Floppy Drives will work fine. If you are using Montezuma Micro, you will have to run DUP & CONFIG to configure you system to
match the Physical floppy's that are present. And you will have to format the fresh floppy's accordingly. Not sure on LDOS and all the other
DOS's that exist for the Model 4.

Why not go to a 3.5" 1.44 Floppy, and a HxC OR a GOTEK instead? Floppy Drives and NEW Floppy's are getting harder to locate.

PM me your email address and I'll forward you a document I created for interfacing to Model 4.

Larry

Yes, I will be using twin full height floppy drives. I chose this route because it will look like the same as a standard twin 180K drives. I think I have my bases covered, but I’m always keeping my mind open. Eventually I’ll probably sell, but I’m not currently looking for buyers.

Now, along with the floppy drives, I am also upgrading the computer’s RAM. And later, i’m considering the replacement of the Model 4’s B&W CRT with either a green, or amber (preferably the amber), but I’ll do that at a later time.

Thanks for your reply, and your suggestions I value both.

Chiao

Thomas

Thomas,
Yes, the 360K Floppy Drives will work fine. If you are using Montezuma Micro, you will have to run DUP & CONFIG to configure you system to
match the Physical floppy's that are present. And you will have to format the fresh floppy's accordingly. Not sure on LDOS and all the other
DOS's that exist for the Model 4.

Why not go to a 3.5" 1.44 Floppy, and a HxC OR a GOTEK instead? Floppy Drives and NEW Floppy's are getting harder to locate.

PM me your email address and I'll forward you a document I created for interfacing to Model 4.

Larry

Back