• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model III connecting to a "mainframe" I.e. Raspberry Pi...

ardsleytank

Experienced Member
I have seen it done with a DT-1 terminal computer, and was wondering if my Model III will connect to my Raspberry Pi?

Also, how? All I know is that you need a RS-232-to-USB which I have. I take it I need some terminal software for the Model III?

Sorry for all the questions, I just think it would be cool to have my TRS-80 connect to the outside world... :cool:

Thanks,
Peter

Yes, your Model III can connect to the outside world just like a DT-1. Your Model III needs the RS-232 card, which was an option. Look in the slot right in front of the expansion port on the bottom of the computer. Do you see a DB-25 connector? If so, then that is your RS-232 port. As you surmised, you will also need some sort of terminal program for the Model III. One example is LCOMM that comes with LDOS, but there are many others.

Yes, your Model III can connect to the outside world just like a DT-1. Your Model III needs the RS-232 card, which was an option. Look in the slot right in front of the expansion port on the bottom of the computer. Do you see a DB-25 connector? If so, then that is your RS-232 port. As you surmised, you will also need some sort of terminal program for the Model III. One example is LCOMM that comes with LDOS, but there are many others.

It didn't even occur to me whether I had the RS232 card installed (too many other issues)

Boo, I don't :(

One thing to note . . .

Partially as a way to stop my M4 sitting unused like it did for nearly 10 years before I got it fixed again last year, I now have it set up as a serial console for my Linux server. Using Omniterm. However I'm still battling with the issue that quite a lot of key keys (e.g. the pipe key) aren't there. And although Omniterm has key remapping it doesn't seem to allow for CTRL+{key} to expand the key.

Having said that, booting the M4 and starting Omniterm is a pretty fast way to get to the system logs, and doesn't rely on networking.

Yep, I have the RS-232 port. I may have some fun with this... :D

Thanks guys for your help!

Ah lucky you! I think the Model III BASIC manual contains some info about serial commands.

The strange thing about my model III is that it came directly from the headquarters of a well-known international bank.

This diskless, 16k, no-floppy drive, no-RS232 TRS-80... in a bank.

I cannot even begin to imagine what they used it for :confused::confused::confused: ...

I cannot even begin to imagine what they used it for :confused::confused::confused: ...

Does it have any other external connections? Look near the power cable and see if there is a block of dip switches. That would be an arcnet network connection. There was also the network 2 controller that used the cassette ports, but that seems awkward.

The strange thing about my model III is that it came directly from the headquarters of a well-known international bank.

This guy

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 9.06.06 AM.jpg

Ok. Here's another question: When I get the Model III connected to the Pi, is it possible to go on the internet? Are there ASCII only websites out there?

I know, I'm crazy...

Ok. Here's another question: When I get the Model III connected to the Pi, is it possible to go on the internet? Are there ASCII only websites out there?

I know, I'm crazy...

There are text mode only browsers, and you can use a lot of sites (because of screen reader / accessibility requirements) that have decent text-only functionality.

Alrighty then, I've run into a bit of a snag. Before I try connecting it to my Pi, I'm trying to connect it to my old Compaq Armada running Win98 in MS-DOS Mode. I have a program called LTERM3/CMD running on my Model III, and it seems to work, but I never can get it to connect to my laptop. Does the laptop need to be running a terminal program as well?

Ah, that makes sense. I noticed two things after your reply: Firstly, turns out my only DB25 Cable I got from Goodwill is just a serial cable, and secondly, the DB25 connector on my laptop is not RS232, it's for a printer.

So, I ordered a cable yesterday, it should be here by Monday.

Thanks for your help!

Back