• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trs-io

So I’ve almost completed the hardware portion of my Trs-io and like others am having problems compiling the esp32 project. I’m using vs code and am getting exasperated with bad cmake errors. Any advice?
I managed to successfully build the project in the end under a Debian 11 VM.
The main thing I did to get it to compile was to use v4.3.3 of esp-idf, other versions caused the build to fail near the end.

The attached file contains the steps I followed which originally came from here, I then altered with the esp-idf version and where the bin files are created.

Good luck,
Tim

Attachments

• Debian 11 TRS-IO build instructions (esp-idf v4.3.3).txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 20
Thank you, thank you! This worked and my ESP32 is now flashed. Still waiting on a couple chips to finish the build. I probably would have figured this out eventually but I think it would have taken hours. There should be a link to this file in the github!

Sometimes it's good to talk to yourself if only to leave a log for someone to find via google later on.

I made my own board, but then got sidetracked for a while; I'm back to trying to get the ESP32 code built. Having found the various libraries I'm as far as:

Code:
CC build/bootloader/bootloader_support/src/bootloader_flash.o
at 1: error 131: cannot generate code for target 'longcalls'
make[4]: *** [/home/phlap/esp/esp-idf/make/component_wrapper.mk:292: src/bootloader_flash.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/phlap/MINIPRO/trsnic/src/esp/build/bootloader/bootloader_support'

This is at step 5 ("make" in the TLD). As far as I an see I've got the right CC being executed; suggestions?

I used JLCPCB - the (now slightly out-of-date) gerbers on pski's site uploaded fine and the whole thing was cheap and easy.

PJH

Indeed... I've built the hardware and have also landed here due to not being able to figure out how the heck to build and program the esp32...

Let me know if you still need some info. I do have older bin files I can provide if that helps at all. I actually wrote up some instructions back in 2020 that I sent over to @misterblack because he was planning on building one out and doing a video on it, but he lost interest so that never happened. My instructions are probably a bit out of date though since I know they've made some updates since then (and even a new board)

I actually wish there were some instructions on the trs-80 programming side of it, since i have a few things i think would be cool to program (like maybe have the trs-80 scrolling news headers or crypto stock ticker or whatever), but i can't quite figure out how that piece of it works.

Hi guys, I just picked up my first Model 3 and really like the idea of building a TRS-IO to connect it to a Samba share on my Synology instead of messing with floppies.

I'm wondering which board would be best for me to build. I downloaded the package from GitHub and I see there are seven versions of the board for the M3.
The v2 boards all have an additional Nano9K module for video but there doesn't seem to be a changelog or updated BOM for anything past the TRS-NIC and TRS-IO v1.1.
The v1.2 boards add a MCP23S08 for I2C and a new J7 on the back, is that for programming the ESP or GAL inline? I'm curious about the V2 board that david_ellwood is building. The picture posted here doesn't match any of the M3 v2's so I'm assuming it's one of the M1 boards, but is there a BOM or did you cross up the through hole parts to surface mount on your own?

I'm thinking about building the v1.1 like the OP ngtwolf because it looks relatively easy. Would that be all I need for the SMB file access?
Also, does anyone know if the v1 trsnic from GitHub is basically the same as the v1.1 trs-io from the m3 folder on GitHub?

I answered a couple of my previous questions by loading KiCad and comparing the designs in the M3 folder.
Below are my findings, posted here just in case it helps anyone else who is curious.

v1 [June 2019] Original redesign of RetroStoreCard, also same as Trsnic v1
v1.1 [December 2019] Added R4 (4K7) pull-up resistor, Added FreHD Disable jumper
v1.2 [August 2021] Added MCP23S08 and J7 SD Card Connector, Added R5,R6,R7,R8,R9,R10,R11 (all 10K), Added Edge Connector to PCB
v1.2b [March 2022] Unknown change
V2 [July 2022] New larger board with video module
v2.1 [August 2022] Added audio jack and additional circuitry.
v2.2 [September 2022] Unknown change

After looking at a few datasheets on Digikey I haven't been able to determine what the correct part # would be for the J7 SD connector yet.
The right-angle version of switch 1825910-6 is 1825027-5 just in case you wanted to mount the switch on the edge of the card in the SW2 location.

Has anyone produced a complete version up on EasyEDA so an order can be sent to build this? There is quite a bit of information up in Github, but quite frankly even though I am familiar with building projects myself, the sheer amount of effort to find the right items, make sure I have the right version of the Gerbers, and all other aspects for this make it difficult to carry it through to fruition. Thanks!

So I finally got around to installing a Debian 11 VM and tried going throught the instructions from @troff

got as far as line 25 - ./install.sh

where I got issues with the github files not being accessible:

1678982847462.png

Did they remove the repository?

I managed to successfully build the project in the end under a Debian 11 VM.
The main thing I did to get it to compile was to use v4.3.3 of esp-idf, other versions caused the build to fail near the end.

The attached file contains the steps I followed which originally came from here, I then altered with the esp-idf version and where the bin files are created.

Good luck,
Tim
I managed to get the project to compile in a Debian 11 VM, but I had to use v4.4 of the esp-idf.
For some reason I couldn't get it to work with 4.3.3.

Last edited:
Back