• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Twentieth Anniversary Mac

maxfli

Experienced Member
I found a Twentieth Anniversary Mac on eBay but it dose not come with any software or a keyboard with the track pad. How hard would it be to get a keyboard for it and OS media?

The TAM just boots regular old Mac OS. It came with 7.6.1 but it will do very well with 8.1 or 8.6. I wouldn't bother with 9 unless you install a L2 G3 upgrade (not cheap these days). My TAM has a G3 and runs 9.2.2, installed by its previous owner. If the auction you linked is the TAM you want to buy, you may also need to replace the hard disk. It takes a 2.5" IDE drive.

If you don't care about the keyboard and mouse, then any ADB keyboard and mouse will do. If you want to find the original keyboard and trackpad, however, good luck and good hunting. Watch eBay and be prepared for buck$$$.

When you say the L2 G3 does this system have what you are referring to?

Tt says it has a Sonnet G3 accelerator, so yes there's an upgrade CPU plugged into the L2 memory upgrade slot.

Yes, that's a pretty nice TAM and practically maxed out (max RAM, 500MHz G3, USB/FireWire, Comm Slot II Ethernet). These systems have an ATI Rage 3D II on board as well (not great 3D acceleration, but it's there).

Note it isn't 100% complete: he doesn't mention the slimback (though you can only have the fatback on in this configuration), and no pen or pencil set. But everything else seems to be there.

Your call if you think the price is reasonable. Speaking as a TAM owner, even compared to its contemporaries its major advantage is style. The RAM ceiling is low, you're pretty much done for PCI cards and the screen hasn't aged well. It will chug with Mac OS X if you can even get it on there (though it should run BeOS very well). But it's really cool-looking and I'm glad I have one, even though as beige Macs go I use my 7300 (1GB of RAM, ATI Rage Orion) and Q800 (A/UX) far more.

Back