• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

U.K. Aculab Floppy Tape (similar to the U.S.A. Exatron Stringy Floppy),

Dustym

Experienced Member
ANY information, publications, software etc required. All existing info. I have, is available at www.trs-80.org.uk.
Can you help please before this piece of rare, U.K. hardware/system, totally vanishes into the mists of time, forever!!

Thankyou for that resource Dusty. Does the Aculab use the same drive mechanism and/or electronics but with different host software and/or firmware in the drive and/or in the TRS-80?

Thankyou for that resource Dusty. Does the Aculab use the same drive mechanism and/or electronics but with different host software and/or firmware in the drive and/or in the TRS-80?

Hi.
First, let me apologies for my late reply. This new & 'improved' forum is totally confusing me. I seem to end up at a different place each time I log on :)
Yes, the Aculab uses the 'Microvox' tape unit which I always assumed was similar, if not identical, to the Exatron. The main difference was the operating system in the ROM. The Aculab operating system was much more like the disk system with file names etc. An advanced BASIC was released shortly later which has most of the disk BASIC commands, which was exceptionally brilliant.
I've attached a couple of photos for you of the 'inards' of the FT
aculabft01.jpgaculabft02.jpg

Ooops - I forgot to mention that the Aculab system is, of course, an option of trs80gp. Many thanks to George and Peter for that. I still feel in their debt!

Back