• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack (v2.0)

VileR

Veteran Member
Not sure whether this should be posted here, or in the Off-Topic section, since this project of mine isn't actually usable *on* a vintage machine. Still, it's my own way of preserving a small but distinctive part of the oldschool PC experience, even in more "modern" environments.

Come check it out at: https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/

This collection aims to provide faithful reproductions of old-school hardware character sets - good old pre-GUI raster typography, but in formats usable on current systems. That mostly means TrueType (in several variants), but there are also straight bitmap versions and webfonts.
The project exclusively covers the IBM PC world and compatible hardware. Fonts from other vintage platforms have already been covered elsewhere, but in terms of recognition as a cultural artifact, the PC (not to mention its clones) remains somewhat of an underdog. That said, with the new version the scope has somewhat expanded to include "semi-compatibles" as well.

So what do you get with v2.0? -

• 200+ character sets from IBM PCs, compatible computers, and video hardware, remade in current font formats
  • Most of them stick to the original 256-character range of DOS/OEM code page 437 (mapped to Unicode, but they can be used to view cp437 material as well)
  • Several sets have also been enhanced to support more symbols and scripts (Latin, Greek, Hebrew and Cyrillic)
  • A new TrueType variant ('Mx') with embedded bitmaps, to bypass font-smoothing/anti-aliasing (where activated)
  • Another new TrueType variant ('Ac') which is aspect-corrected, to reproduce the pixel ratios of the original display resolution(s)
  • The website has the full font index, with a preview/info page for each font, so you can play around with sizes, aspect ratios and sample text
  • Heaps of long-winded verbiage for those of you who enjoy walls of text. :twisted: I've compiled a bunch of info on the hardware as well, and on the original usage of each font - so it all comes with detailed historical context, rather than just a bunch of "yay retro aesthetic!!" throwaway fodder.
For those of you who *would* like actual text-mode action - raw bitmap versions of these fonts are bundled with my DOS-based font editor, so they're usable on any real VGA hardware (and can be exported as TSRs etc).

Last but not least: an extra special thanks to you fine folks on this forum who have helped out with contributions! You know who you are (and in case you don't, you're listed in "credits/acknowledgements", so check under there for your shout out). :cool:

Enjoy!

Back