• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ungermann-Bass Network Storage Module w/IEEE-488 interface

jxm

Checking this out has been on my list for a while. I've not been able to find much info on this particular device. Bitsavers provides info to identify the base unit as a Ungermann-Bass Network Storage Module (NSM) model 3121A NSM-1. Bottom of page 8, http://www.bitsavers.org/communications/ungermann-bass/990-U275-0152_Ungermann-Bass_Net_One_1984.pdf

front.jpgback.jpg
page8.png

The info on front ties it to Fairchild, after being acquired by Schlumberger in '79. I was unable to tie FastNet to Ungermann-Bass. Maybe FastNet is something Fairchild developed.

From the outside it's a dual 8" floppy enclosure with a IEEE-488 interface on the back.

Inside is a power supply, two Qume QumeTrak 842 drives and an Ungermann-Bass NFDI-2 (IEEE-488 to Shugart disk interface).

inside_top.jpg
inside_side_board.jpg
board_pn.jpg
inside_side_drive.jpg

I've got a few IEEE-488 interfaces for connectivity. Right now I have no experience with 488 and disk drives and will study the 488 interfaces on PET systems and the HP dual 5" unit.

Does anyone have knowledge of the commands or protocol for this unit or other information that can help me avoid known pitfalls.

Back