• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unique S-100 computer (Z-80/Vector Graphic/Micropolis)

Ok well I've completely cleaned the mechanism and greased it. The latch does engage now (it spins to lock down) - usually on the first or second try. However now I have the opposite problem - I can't get the mechanism to release. When I push down again is it supposed to spin again out of lock position and release?

Utilities are there to write a new floppy using a serial transfer from your PC to the VG system. This can be done even on a cold machine with no bootable floppy. See https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_graphic/software/ for disk images and disk transfer utilities.

Regarding your PC2Flop utility, do you know if this will support the original Bit Streamer card that is in this system? It appears these utilities were developed for the Bit Streamer II. Plan to order the Micropolis controller in a week or so.

Ok well I've completely cleaned the mechanism and greased it. The latch does engage now (it spins to lock down) - usually on the first or second try. However now I have the opposite problem - I can't get the mechanism to release. When I push down again is it supposed to spin again out of lock position and release?

Yes that's right.

Regarding your PC2Flop utility, do you know if this will support the original Bit Streamer card that is in this system? It appears these utilities were developed for the Bit Streamer II. Plan to order the Micropolis controller in a week or so.

Typically the original Bitstreamer is at I/O address 2/3 which is supported by PC2FLOP.

Mike

Typically the original Bitstreamer is at I/O address 2/3 which is supported by PC2FLOP.

Mike

Ok I have the computer all put back together and the floppy drive is eject mechanics are working well enough after a good greasing. Following your instructions in the readme for PC2FLOP, I have to first enter the LOADER.PRN program into memory using 'P' from the monitor. But I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly how to do that. The file looks like ASM, not Hex - unless I'm only supposed to type a portion of each line? Not really clear..

Following your instructions in the readme for PC2FLOP, I have to first enter the LOADER.PRN program into memory using 'P' from the monitor. But I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly how to do that. The file looks like ASM, not Hex - unless I'm only supposed to type a portion of each line? Not really clear..

Enter the hex bytes shown in the listing. First column is the address, second column is the actual data you need to enter.

Mike

Enter the hex bytes shown in the listing. First column is the address, second column is the actual data you need to enter.

Mike

Here are the first 3 lines from the LOADER.PRN file:

0005 = sioCtl equ 5 ;serial port control register
0004 = sioDat equ 4 ;serial port data register
0002 = sioRdrf equ 2 ;mask to test for receive data

When I hit 'P', then '0005' it puts me directly into a HEX editor.. I can only type hex, not these register names/functions etc.. Do those first 3 lines not get entered?

Last edited:
Those are assembler equate statements. They make the code easier to read - so for example sioCtl EQU 5 tells the assembler that every time it sees an operand in the code of "sioCtl" it is to substitute the value 5.

For example:

sioCtl EQU 5

LD A,045h
OUT (sioCtl),A

That last instruction is interpreted as OUT (5),A by the assembler.

Could you paste the LOADER.PRN file into a post, please? It'd make it easier to see the context and provide help.

The program starts at address zero. To start entering data at zero, the command is P 0000.

Enter the HEX BYTES shown in the listing. First column is the address, SECOND COLUMN is the actual data you need to enter.

Note that LOADER.PRN uses a serial port at 04/05. If your Bitstreamer port is at 02/03, you’ll need to change the corresponding bytes when you key it in. For example, DB 04 becomes DB 02.

https://deramp.com/downloads/vector...age_transfer/Micropolis controller/LOADER.PRN

Mike

Thanks, so I've edited the file basically down to the keystrokes I'll need for the Bitstreamer, does this seem right? Sorry if this seems amateurish.. but I am when it comes to this level of programming

P 0000 210001
P 0003 DB02
P 0005 DB02
P 0007 DB03
P 0009 E602
P 000B CA0700
P 000E DB02
P 0010 77
P 0011 23
P 0012 C30700

Seem to be having a problem though.. I hit 'P', '0000' and it drops me into the hex editor for that address. It's all 'FF'. As I begin to type '210001' it's moving the cursor forward, but it is not changing the value - they're all staying F's. Why would that be?

or actually i think i'm beginning to understand a bit more.. if I start at 0000, I don't have to hit 'P' in between each line, correct? - I would just type the hex portion in sequence?

So my keystrokes would look more like this?

P 0000
210001DB02DB02DB03E602CA0700DB02
7723C30700

How do I save/commit? Still not sure why as I type it's leaving all F's. Thanks again

Last edited:
Yes, just keep typing the in the hex values and they will be placed in successive locations in RAM starting with the address specified in the "P" command. Press ESC after you've entered all data.

You can do the "D"ump command after entering the data to make sure it looks right. Here's the manual for your ROM monitor: https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_graphic/software/manuals/Monitor 4-0.pdf

Mike

20200406_115249.jpg

So I hit 'P 0000' then continued to enter the entire program (even though as I typed each character remained an F).. Did a Hex Dump 0000-0010 and as you can see it's all still F's..?

EDIT: I'm guessing it would help if I actually had my RAM expansion board installed?

Now it seems on a Dump the memory is filled with FF 00 FF 00.. But at least as I type now it saves it..

Last edited:
Would you happen to know if the DB25 serial port on this computer should be pinout compatible with a PC? Basically can the two easily talk or do I have to build a custom cable? Which terminal app/protocol would I use to transmit the PC2FLOP.COM program?

It appears the serial port is connected to the bitstreamer with a ribbon cable and that makes the DB-25 look like DCE unless other modifications have been done on the board. That means you’ll need a DB-25 to DB-9 “straight through” cable (not a null modem cable).
I like using Teraterm for a terminal emulator https://altairclone.com/downloads/teraterm477.zip. The .com should be sent with a simple file transfer (no protocol, make sure 8-bit is enabled).

Mike

It appears the serial port is connected to the bitstreamer with a ribbon cable and that makes the DB-25 look like DCE unless other modifications have been done on the board. That means you’ll need a DB-25 to DB-9 “straight through” cable (not a null modem cable).
I like using Teraterm for a terminal emulator https://altairclone.com/downloads/teraterm477.zip. The .com should be sent with a simple file transfer (no protocol, make sure 8-bit is enabled).

Mike

So I'm trying to get this to work, I get the program in memory and execute it (G0000) - I send it the file, but it's not filling the memory at 0100 from what I can tell. I have tried using the 'E' (External Communications) command in the Monitor and can't get anything sent from serial to display on the screen. This should work, right? Using a scope, I don't see any activity on the TX pin when I type a key. I found this manual to the Bitstreamer 1 card. https://usermanual.wiki/Document/VectorBitstreamerUsersManual.3752909379.pdf The Bitstreamer is configured for 300 baud and the 24-pin ribbon cable is plugged into J3. Is there anything else you can think of that I should be looking at?

Back