• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

UNIVAC manuals and various documentation

ppo

Experienced Member
Hello, I'm new here and have recently found some manuals and other documentation related to Univac.
Also found a Computer Weekly of 1974.
I want to know what is the value of this type of things nowadays.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

Inside the cape that i found there's a copy of an article on Fortune from April 1973 - "Happily Married in Computers", a promotional book about the UNIVAC 9000 Series and specially the 9300, a french magazine "Systèmes d'informatique magazine" from Honeywell Bull (literally Computer Systems Magazine) and the number 19 of UNIVAC NEWS, of October 1970 (in portuguese, I don't know if it only existed in Portugal).
Thre's also a french poster for a contest - "Image 73" - looking for a new logo for Honeywell Bull.
I'd also like to know if the Computer Weekly I mentioned earlier has any value.
If you need more information about something just tell me.

Ephemera from trade publications sadly has little value--witness the number of people trying to give away old computer magazine collections. I've never found a taker for my Cray "Bubbles" posters, for example.

My last contact with a Univac system was with an 1108. The 9000 series were smallish IBM System/360-compatible machines and a bit later.

But before you toss those items, you should probably contact the Computer History Museum to see if they're interested in acquiring them.

First I want to say that i'm not going to throw anything away, I really like old computers and related items, and the only reason i came here was to know if it really had some value.
And I also want you to know that because i'm in Portugal, these type of things is very rare around here, therefore they have more value (most of these documents were destroyed because there wasn't anybody to really care about them).
Thank you for all the help, and by the way what are those posters you're talking about?

You are right, here we have never even heard of the cray. :)
Those posters must be very common, but not where I live.

Just by curiosity, can you post a picture of the poster/posters?

Just by curiosity, can you post a picture of the poster/posters?

Cray 2's were never very common--mostly reserved for the government. The Fluorinert coolant was first used as a synthetic blood substitute (it can transport oxygen).

I can post a picture, but it will be "some day" as the poster is buried in the back of a closet.

Back to your question--if you had advertising literature for say, the Univac Solid State 80/90 machines from the 1950's, it might be considered to be somewhat valuable here. But the 9000 series is simply too recent and was less representative of Univac than it was of Univac trying to clone an IBM mainframe.

A little like it--my poster shows a Cray -2 with woodgrain panels viewed from a somewhat higher position. Above it all is a pool of liquid with a transparent "Cray 2" in it.

A little like it--my poster shows a Cray -2 with woodgrain panels viewed from a somewhat higher position. Above it all is a pool of liquid with a transparent "Cray 2" in it.

lovely, if you find it and feel like parting with it, I'm certainly interested.

Back