• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unofficial Mirror of Some Defunct DOS/Windows 3.x Related Sites

Good to know!

So, I modernized the inner workings a bit, and now I'm running an Apache2.4 server on Windows 7 Professional x64. It's not as simple, but it's more maintainable and has fewer limitations (some of the filenames were mangled after being converted to DOS 8.3). I'm toying with setting it up on an Ubuntu VM as well (maintainable and portable, all at the same time!), but this works for now.

It's presently on its own 250 GB hard drive, so I think I'll put it in another computer at some point, as it's currently residing in my "summer daily driver" (the somewhat expendable computer I'm using during fire season, with my nice, difficult to replace Mac Pro safely in the car so I don't have to drag it out of the house every time there's an evacuation). This is why the server has been so erratic.

At some point, I'll have to figure out how to set up a mirror so there aren't disruptions.

c

Still doesn't respond for me.
If the hosting is not an option, I recommend donating a highly-compressed backup to archive.org. If you compress it well, it'll be found by people who want to find it and not found by lazier ones, so it won't share the fate of e.g. unofficial Toughbook support site which was restored by someone without downloads only to serve ads. We're not talking about modern gossip sites whose only role is to make user watch more, there were sites with lots of useful knowledge which, when not preserved, will be transformed into arcane magic like some parts of electronics today.

I'm still here!

The most ridiculous thing happened: the server I was using died, then the backup I built in its place also died, so I'm left without a suitable server that can serve these sites.

It's really frustrating!

Hopefully I'll get it up again within the next couple weeks (new parts are on order).

In the meantime, I have the files. Anyone want to host a mirror??

c

Huh. My last post was on 9/11/18. Reminds me of what a terrible day 9/11/01 was... I hope we never see another like it (once was too much)... Such tragic loss of life :(

Anyway, back to the present!

Now that my server's been repaired, it is now doing double duty as my year-round daily driver, but I've got everything set up and working as before, so it can and will quietly serve stuff in the background while I goof around in Pro Tools...

It will be accessible at dosserv.ddns.net, although the IP address I posted earlier is still valid, if one prefers to use that instead for whatever reason.

c

Well, I guess my efforts went the way of the sites I was trying to preserve :/

Anyway, I'm going to work on getting it back up and running, and if anyone wants to host a mirror of it or something, please PM me!

c

Back