• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unpopulated S100 stuff at Anchor Electronics

They used to have a history page at their website:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110517060106/http://anchor-electronics.com/about_us/about_us.html

It is a biography of John Robert Burgoon:

In the early '70s John resigned from his position at Lockheed and moved his fledgling electronic parts company from his garage to a nearby warehouse. At about this time home computers were just coming on the scene and John recognized an opportunity. With technical help from others, John started another company to build computer boards. The parts company he called, “Anchor Electronics” and the board company was “Solid State Music”, or “SSM”.
John’s companies occupied several buildings and he had about 35 employees. The stress of it all proved too much and in late 1977 John suffered a massive heart attack. He ended up selling all his businesses, except for the parts company that was so dear to him – Anchor Electronics.

I think I still have a S100 SSM 8K SRAM board kicking around--lots of 91L02s.

There's a very odd SSM PC blank that's being offered. Anyone know what it's supposed to be part of?

Anchor has always been a good source of vintage parts. I found what I was looking for there (0.156 24-position edge connector) for a very reasonable price.

I think I still have a S100 SSM 8K SRAM board kicking around--lots of 91L02s.

There's a very odd SSM PC blank that's being offered. Anyone know what it's supposed to be part of?

Anchor has always been a good source of vintage parts. I found what I was looking for there (0.156 24-position edge connector) for a very reasonable price.

it's a SSM IO-3
probably an 8255 and two 8251s

and yup, they're good folks, same with Bob at Halted and Mike at Excess Solutions

the folks behind the counter at Anchor say store business has been slow.

Well, times change, don't they?

That IO-3 "mystery board" isn't S-100, nor Intellec. 80 pins on 0.125 spacing. What was it for?

good question. the 28 pin chips appear to interface 16 pin rams

just dug around in Byte from 76 and 77 and IO-3 never appears, just IO-1 and 2

it's not an Intellec-4, that was 100 pins or Digital Group

Last edited:
The Digital Group I/O boards use a 72-pin, 0.156" spacing connector unbussed for each I/O board's connection to the outside world and a 44-pin, 0.156" spacing connector for the CPU bus, the CPU board uses a 100-pin, 0.156" spacing connector (same as S-100, but it's *not* S-100 electrically), the memory boards used the same 72-pin, 0.156" spacing connector as the I/O board's I/O connector, but centered instead of offset.

I was just there this morning but wasn't looking for PCBs.
I've gotten a few boards for the Atari there. I was able to restore
a PS board on a 800 with the part they had.
This morning I was just looking for a crystal ( later found out
it was the wrong one, oh well ).
Dwight

It's the odd shape of the card that has me puzzled as well. The Digital Group stuff comes close with the bus connection in the dead middle of the card, but very low profile with substantial "wings" on either side of the connector. Very strange.

Another piece to the IO-3 board puzzle
A blank 8080 CPU board showed up at Anchor last week that a friend grabbed labeled Dataray 1976
I've collected everything known under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/solidStateMusic/80pin
and uploaded front and back scans. Most of the pins on the 80 pin connector back and
front are jumpered together.
Also a "CB2" board. Most of a 8080 SBC, completely different pinout. Found a 8080/8224/8228, two eproms, 8251, 8255
but no ram(?) They sold a CB-2 Z80 S100 board, oddly

I went over to Anchor today, and they had one of the backplane boards, several IO-3 and another CPU
Scans of the backpane and IO boards are on bitsavers now.
I think I have enough now to put a tiny 8080 system together now.

all they have are IO-3s left
the board scans are up now. the IO-3 appears to have 2112s, 1702's and an 8255.
the CPU board doesn't appear to have much beyond cpu, 8224, and bus buffering

If you live in the SF Bay Area I highly recommend Anchor as a place to find parts. They have everything! They also ship stuff.
John Monahan

Back