• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unpopulated S100 stuff at Anchor Electronics

They've been around forever. Unfortunately, their NOS stock is getting picked through rapidly as the other places in
the valley have closed.

If you live in the SF Bay Area I highly recommend Anchor as a place to find parts. They have everything! They also ship stuff.
John Monahan
Wrong side of the continent, unfortunately! I only see what they have on their site, and what folks occasionally email me about!

I purchased a couple of S-100 dynamic RAM boards from Anchor a few months ago. They were made by CCS (model 2065) and so are the serial/parallel I/O (CCS - 2718) boards. There's an updated version of the CCS FDC bare board (CCS 2422E) available at Retrobrewcomputers.

Yeah Foone picked up a couple of blank CCS boards from there for me a while back. One was the 2718 I/O board, forget what the other was.

I went over to Anchor today, and they had one of the backplane boards, several IO-3 and another CPU
Scans of the backpane and IO boards are on bitsavers now.
I think I have enough now to put a tiny 8080 system together now.
Al, interesting... Anchor has an S-100 backpanel/motherboard still in stock. Any chance you have any info on slot count or manufacturer. Myke

Alicia is an awesome lady to talk to, but she stays very busy. I shopped there for years when I would travel from Texas to the bay area for Cisco. After taking the early retirement package I hadn't been back out to the bay area. Glad they are still in business! I have one of the blue backplane PCBs here that is doing nothing by itself if someone wants to do some horsetrading.

I bought all their 40 pin surplus AMP sockets still in boxes labeled with Atari's shipping address and a huge amount of bipolar PROMs.

Raymond

Al, interesting... Anchor has an S-100 backpanel/motherboard still in stock. Any chance you have any info on slot count or manufacturer. Myke
I sent them an email and just got a reply; they have no S-100 backpanels/motherboards. My quest continues....

Actually, that is exactly what I am looking for...... "Rumor has it that you all have (possibly) an S-100 Backpanel/Motherboard? Maybe one left in stock…. If so, I’d love to know the details." and I even included the post that was made here, "I went over to Anchor today, and they had one of the backplane boards, several IO-3 and another CPU". The email reply from Anchor was, "Sorry - of the ones you listed, only the IO-3 is in stock...". So I guess they are all gone.

But I am looking for one of the V4 backpanels from the s100computers.com site. I sent an email the other day to 'Josh, AKA "Crusty"', but haven't heard back. But even the one from RetroBrew looks good to. I need to email Todd Goodman about that one.

Thanks to Al Kossow, for gathering and scanning these SSM 80-pin boards. The thread caught my attention today, as did the boards. I took some time to look at Al's photos and compare the boards, see if they all fit together. The short story from my view, is that the CB-2 board seems to be different enough from the other boards, that I think it's a stand-alone microprocessor board (likely an 8080). The 8080 board and the I/O board, look like a pair to me; and the backplane board likewise looks like a match to those. My guess is, these were prototypes which did not go into production.

I made more detailed notes about what I saw. There's too much to post here. So I sent them to Al Kossow, to consider adding to his archive of board-photos for this SSM 80-pin "product". As helter-skelter as they look, I think an informed person of the 1970's could determine many of the IC's needed for the 8080 and I/O
boards - the bus backplane just needs connectors. My notes suggest a strategy. The CB-2, is a tougher proposition.

Why one would decode these boards today, I'm uncertain. But I spent my time on it, and maybe that effort if read will encourage someone else.

Plan B is to determine what SSM folks were doing at the time and see if surviving notes lead to documentation about products not released. That's out of my hands.

Regards, Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com

But I am looking for one of the V4 backpanels from the s100computers.com site. I sent an email the other day to 'Josh, AKA "Crusty"', but haven't heard back. But even the one from RetroBrew looks good to. I need to email Todd Goodman about that one.

I got one of the v4 backplane boards from Todd last week - they're very good quality.

g.

This is the "Josh AKA "Crusty"" v4 backplane:
I'm pretty sure this board has not been available for several years now.

The S100 backplane board that virtually everyone now buys is the "9 slot terminated backplane v4" that you can order from Todd Goodman. His contact information (and a link to the board's documentation) is found here:

The board sold by Todd Goodman is functionally the same as Crusty's board, except the location of some of the components has been rearranged.

The board I received last week has the following silk screened on it:

N8VEM
S-100 BACKPLANE
VERSION 04
MAY 3, 2015 J.B.

g.
(for those building it and want active termination, Anchor Electronics has the LM4250 Op Amp for around 40 cents)

If I could find it... Sigh.

I might have sold it, but don't remember. I tore the computer room up looking for it. Found my EVK-100, Lightspeed 100, Wameco CPU, and Apple II+ clone PCBs, but not that one.

Thanks to Al Kossow, for gathering and scanning these SSM 80-pin boards. The thread caught my attention today, as did the boards. I took some time to look at Al's photos and compare the boards, see if they all fit together. The short story from my view, is that the CB-2 board seems to be different enough from the other boards, that I think it's a stand-alone microprocessor board (likely an 8080). The 8080 board and the I/O board, look like a pair to me; and the backplane board likewise looks like a match to those. My guess is, these were prototypes which did not go into production.

I made more detailed notes about what I saw. There's too much to post here. So I sent them to Al Kossow, to consider adding to his archive of board-photos for this SSM 80-pin "product". As helter-skelter as they look, I think an informed person of the 1970's could determine many of the IC's needed for the 8080 and I/O
boards - the bus backplane just needs connectors. My notes suggest a strategy. The CB-2, is a tougher proposition.

Why one would decode these boards today, I'm uncertain. But I spent my time on it, and maybe that effort if read will encourage someone else.

Plan B is to determine what SSM folks were doing at the time and see if surviving notes lead to documentation about products not released. That's out of my hands.

Regards, Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com
I'm game for reverse engineering the CB-2, but I am guessing that the one that Al has is the only one in existence.

I'm game for reverse engineering the CB-2, but I am guessing that the one that Al has is the only one in existence.
There is currently a CB-2 board listed on eBay [the listing is not mine].

There is currently a CB-2 board listed on eBay [the listing is not mine].
The one in Bulgaria? That is the S-100 Z80 CB-2. Unfortunately, SSM made two CB-2 boards. The Z80 one and (possibly) an earlier 8080(?) version. The one I was referring to was the bare 80 pin version that Al picked up at Anchor and has photos on his archive site http://bitsavers.org/pdf/solidStateMusic/80pin . If you found an 80 pin version of the CB-2 on ebay, i need an item number because i couldn't find it.

The one in Bulgaria? That is the S-100 Z80 CB-2. Unfortunately, SSM made two CB-2 boards. The Z80 one and (possibly) an earlier 8080(?) version. The one I was referring to was the bare 80 pin version that Al picked up at Anchor and has photos on his archive site http://bitsavers.org/pdf/solidStateMusic/80pin . If you found an 80 pin version of the CB-2 on ebay, i need an item number because i couldn't find it.
My mistake - I missed the fact you were referring to this unusual non-S100 board with the 80 pin edge connector made by SSM.

Back