• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Upgrading my Gameboy DMG-01 and Gameboy Color

James2022

can anyone fit a MG IPS Mod Kit from Hand-Held Legend to my 2 Gameboy DMG-01, for me (i have 2 of them)? i also have 1 Gameboy color console that can do with the upgrade. i live in England,UK so i would prefer someone in England.

Many thanks

A bit late to reply on this, but did you end up doing it yourself? I have found the Game Boy mods to be some of the easiest ones to do, and great for new folks to get into console repair and upgrading. I usually grab them when I see them cheap at yard/garage sales (in the US) and drop about $30 worth of parts in them. The local game shop in my town lets me sell them there for a decent buck, and he takes only a 10% cut since people typically buy a few of his games with one of my units.

@tinsmith interested in this, what mods (you mentioned $30 worth of parts) do you do specifically? I have two gameboys in the project bin I've been meaning to get to.

I totally agree, modding handhelds is a very approachable, yet thoroughly satisfyingly mod IMHO. I recently did a lipo battery + usb-C mod for my friend's GPI Case.

1647004799884.png

@tinsmith interested in this, what mods (you mentioned $30 worth of parts) do you do specifically? I have two gameboys in the project bin I've been meaning to get to.
Yes! Adding a rechargeable lipo is a great option, too.

As for parts, I order almost exclusively from Handheld Legend, specifically their V3 Backlight. The V3 is super cheap, reliable, and good enough for my janky eyes. They're also easy to install after you master the patience of peeling the reflective sticker off the display. ThisDoesNotCompute has a great how-to video on installing this specific backlight if you want to check it out before you commit.

Aside from that, I usually buy some fresh buttons and pads, and a glass screen since the glass is far less prone to scratching than the plastic screens. I don't typically swap the shell unless it's been severely cracked, preferring instead to keep the shells original whenever possible...especially if the stickers are still in reasonable shape.

Here's the last one I did. For some reason I LOVE the orange backlight, but you can get that V3 in a variety of colors, including white if you don't want to get too crazy with the display.

PXL_20220123_212807276.jpg

The orange theme (buttons + screen) came out really nice! I'm checking out Handheld Legend right now, I'll let you know how it goes =)

Back