• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

URGENT: Seattle: Home needed for a number of old computers!

JNZ

Experienced Member
A coworker in an office in Seattle, in the Fremont area, needs to immediately find someone to adopt a ton of old computers, including a number of Apple computers and--of note for this genre--some 486+ PCs. There's also at least one IBM PC in there.

If they're not taken they'll be thrown out.

It looks like 30-40 computers and some manuals and accessories: https://imgur.com/a/jPmNdOM

Also if anyone has any recommendations of who to contact (VCF PNW people especially), do let me know!

Also: shipping may become an option, but not right now--they need a place to store them.

Hi ...

I forwarded the link to this thread to the Seattle Retrocomputing Society. I'm also the organizer of VCF PNW.

How much time do we have to rescue them?

Hi ...

I forwarded the link to this thread to the Seattle Retrocomputing Society. I'm also the organizer of VCF PNW.

How much time do we have to rescue them?

Thanks! And I got more info: they have to be out of there by Monday at the latest. It's a bit more time than I thought, fortunately

I can pick up a bunch tonight or tomorrow. Where is the office located and what time(s) are they open?

Save the AWG server or the ANS?

I can probably save this collection, but wouldn't want to add that entire collection to mine. If someone wanted to help load out/load in I could get a van to move items to my Mill Creek area storage. I'd have to charge back a small amount to cover the truck and storage and provide distribution of items on first come first serve basis.

Some Seattle Retro folks are aware and can pitch in. We want to save this stuff.

Here is the problem - coordination. Now we have a bunch of people jumping up and down. Who do we contact to make this happen without 50 different parties showing up and cherry picking the good stuff?

(My contact info: michael@vcfed.org. I'll pass info along and coordinate with the Seattle Retrocomputing Society.)

Thanks @tipo158 and @mbbrutman. I can put you in contact with my coworker in a few minutes.

For coordination, maybe we can get him to inventory the items and then make a google doc of what to take? Otherwise it would be first come first serve, I suspect. Not ideal, but better than ewaste

Alright, it'll have to be first on the basis of whoever can come and grab as much of it as possible, rather than making an inventory and picking and choosing items. It's a bit unavoidable, but it sounds like he doesn't have time to portion things out. I'll send PMs.

I am interested to help out with this, especially the older Mac gear. Is there a good point of contact to work with?

By Monday, do you mean we have until Monday Feb 11?

I am a Computer Science teacher at Highline and would love to add more
Vintage equipment to our class “museum”. I can pick up tomorrow. Is there anything left? I would love the 5150 since we talk about it’s historical significance in class, but any old Apple equipment and vintage PCs are great. How would I get ahold of them?

Three of us from the Seattle Retro-Computing Society are going there tomorrow to pick up as much as we can pick up. There doesn't seem to be a lot of what I collect, so I will probably be looking for people to take stuff that ends up in my car.

alan

Three of us from the Seattle Retro-Computing Society are going there tomorrow to pick up as much as we can pick up. There doesn't seem to be a lot of what I collect, so I will probably be looking for people to take stuff that ends up in my car.

alan

Hey Alan! Did you guys end up making the trip today? Everything go OK?

Back