• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using Flat Screen Monitors with an Apple II?

Drken

Experienced Member
I'm trying to connect a flat screen monitor with a D-sub connector to my Apple IIe and IIGS. I have a D-sub-to RCA converter cable on order. Question I have is: is there some way to connect the D-sub monitor to the IIGS DB-25 port color composite connector?

I'm trying to connect a flat screen monitor with a D-sub connector to my Apple IIe and IIGS. I have a D-sub-to RCA converter cable on order. Question I have is: is there some way to connect the D-sub monitor to the IIGS DB-25 port color composite connector?

In other words, you want to connect the IIgs to a VGA monitor. You would need a scan doubler to convert the scan frequency from 15Khz to 31Khz. They were quite common on Amigas, but I haven't heard as much about them being used on a IIgs.

Is using an LCD monitor with composite video input unsuitable?
I've seen YouTubes of this method.
Yes... unsuitable for 80 column text.
Just a suggestion.

I was given an Apple ][ that I will forward to someone else, as its not really my interest.
But it has a small LCD screen (7") to make it portable. I expect it may be mono, but I'm not sure.
No idea how it works- but I could make a picture of it and the card its connected to.

The small LCD's use a composite input typically. I have an atari 2600 running on one that will eventually be all battery powered. I'd dig seeing some pics of your apple set up

-Lance

Can you have meant an Apple //c?

There was a monochrome LCD monitor as an option.

$700 !!

It used the proprietary video socket... or a wired in add on.

You can see it in the motion picture "2010" as if it were a futuristic notebook.

Any flat panel TV with a composite video input can be used as a monitor for an Apple II -- but beware of "lag" (latency) on the display, especially on HDTVs. Due to the analog to digital signal conversion and "HD" resolution upscaling that the TV performs, a delay of up to 1/10th of a second can be introduced. For text based applications this is unnoticeable, but especially for video games you will notice right away that when you move your character using your keyboard or joystick, the corresponding image on the screen moves a split-second later, and the sound/video synchronization is thrown off as well.

Standard definition (non-HDTV) flat panel TVs have much less "lag" because they don't need to upscale the image to "HD" resolution, but these haven't been sold new in about the past two years.

I have no idea how much, if any, "lag" is introduced by using one of the aforementioned "scan converters," but basically anytime a video signal gets converted from one format to another, this is an issue you have to be aware of.

Jorg,
Could you possibly post photos of the Apple ][ with the small LCD screen? I 'd be interested in seeing the setup as I have been looking for a similar LCD for my ][c for some time.

Jorg,
Could you possibly post photos of the Apple ][ with the small LCD screen? I 'd be interested in seeing the setup as I have been looking for a similar LCD for my ][c for some time.

Here's a link to a page I have with photos of my Apple IIc hooked up to an original Playstation LCD.

http://blackfletch.freeservers.com/appleIIc.htm

As you can see the LCD display works well with the IIc. The only thing I needed to get to make it work was an RCA to 3.5MM cable to run between the IIc and the LCD. I got the LCD through eBay for about $50.

Dean

Back