• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vax 4000 model 60

PG31

Veteran Member
I have acquired a VAX 4000 model 60 with 16MB of memory. I want to get OpenVMS installed on this and I have registered on the OpenVMS hobbyist program. I'm struggling to find where I can find the iso images for download, if indeed that is how I get OpenVMS. I've also gone to the HPE license site but that is no help either. Anyone also on the hobbyist program who can point me to the download location please?

After your registration you should receive a mail from openvmscustomerlab@hpe.com.
In this Mail you will find the ftp server (vaxkits@ftp.ext.hpe.com) and credentials to download the kits. The pwd changes frequently, so download all intime after you have received the credentials.

Thanks, I have only received an email from "Admin <hobbyist@montagar.com>". Hmmm!. I think I may have registered on the wrong site. I've just re-registered on ccsscorp.

Last edited:
https://www.hpe.com/h41268/live/index_e.aspx?qid=24548

1. Choose an Chapter and enter (DECUS, HPUG,.....)
2. receive your membership ID
2. go to the hpe site and provide your Chapter and Member ID and all requested details
3. Wait .....
After this you should receive the Mail from HPE with License File, Credential and Link to Download the Software.

Thanks, I have applied for a hobbyist account and in the meantime I have downloaded and installed 7.1 from VAXHAVEN. (Thanks g4ugm). I plan to get this 4000/60 running DEC Xwindows, it has the 8 plane hi res graphics option 54-20365-03.

One thing that could trip you up, is that DECwindows does require its own license. It's a separate layered product that runs ontop of OpenVMS.

The VMS Hobbyist program includes licences for almost all layered products. I assume that DW-MOTIF is the appropriate one in question.

It is. I've encountered a few cases where DECwindows didn't start for some and it was because of no license.

The hobbyist licence pack includes DECWindows and, as Dave says, almost everything else under the sun. I've run (trotted really) DECWindows on my 3100/80 using a remote Xterm over the network as it has no native graphics.

I have come back to this as I've been busy with my real job, I have received the licenses and burned couple of VMS images to CD. Next step is to install to an SCSI2SD.

Back