• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VAX/VMS sources on microfiche listed on ebay

i have several vms source sets already. i don't have the vaxelan though
the issue has been getting my wikes and wilson scanner working well

I have a watch on this seller, as he sometime lists interesting DEC items. Today he listed a bomb (I think)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224525771131

Shall we consider starting a fundraiser for buying this cooperatively and donating to bitsavers?
Note that the V5.x listings are "broken" in that the index fiche just show "***" for many fiche sheet numbers because the program that generated the index was written in FORTRAN with an I3 field for the sheet number. Alan Frisbie led an effort to get DEC to re-create each of the fiche sets, which was very difficult because while the source packs were saved, the build toolchain wasn't and DEC had to go hunting for the correct compilers. There were very few sets of replacement fiche made.

I didn't save my VAX source listings on disc, but I have AXP 1.5 (2 discs), AXP 6.2 (3 discs) and AXP 8.4 (5 discs). Al, let me know if you want these. I also have a bunch of condist sets.

i have multiple sets, so I should go through and see if there are any 'good' ones
i'm mainly interested in the vaxelan and have a $100 bid on the lot for that

also, I've been trying to get through my scanned dec manual backlog. I've pushed out about 500 manuals to bitsavers
over the past week and have been going back and doing some OCRing of what was up already

i'm mainly interested in the vaxelan and have a $100 bid on the lot for that
Well, so much for fundraiser. But then, I went on to study the bistavers.org site for a usual (at this age) link for donations, and did not find any. I do not think that is right. People like me (I believe there are some here) do feel sometimes an urge to express a gratitude in a tangible way and to contribute at least something in return. Such an urge should not be left unsupported right at the time it occurs, considering its short lifetime. So please consider investing some effort in setting up a channel for easy contributions, it should be beneficial both for the cause and for the souls

i have several vms source sets already. i don't have the vaxelan though
the issue has been getting my wikes and wilson scanner working well

I could borrow a VMS 4.0 src listing set on 439 fiches. Each with 16*13 pages = 91312 pages printout.
My scanner runs mostly automatic, I can do about 10+ full-size fiches (2000+ frames) per day.
Guess your Wikes&Wilson is faster?

Joerg

Guys,

the complete VAX/VMS 4.0/4.1 source code listings are now scanned from micro fiche (93.000 pages).

The scan was not really necessary in retrospect, as beginning with V5 the listings come on CD ... and surely they have been around before.

I'm sure use is restricted by licenses, now owned by HP.
Anybody has an idea how they can be published, to public or to individuals ?
(We can communicate this via PM, if you like)

It would also be nice to have the full VMS 4.0 document set now.
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/vax/vms/4.0/ is quite incomplete.
Any pointer to the full "grey wall"?

Joerg

Back